PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Film - Double or Quad?

Shadar Al'Niende
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
This may be a stupid question but I did some sifting and couldn't come up with an answer.

Corbin film provides a coring that I really like. My question is how does the double wrap compare with a quad wrap? thicker core? More diffusion for a more even lighting? Is it even worth it?

Thanks guys

Lord Maul
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Double wrap=more defined core, less even
Quad wrap=less defined core, more even

Shadar Al'Niende
09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Sweet! Thank you, figured the quad would have more diffusion, just wanted to be sure! Do you think a 36 inch blade is too long for a quad wrapped corbin lit by a lux III royal blue?

Ambo
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
36" should be just fine...that is my prefered length, the closer u get to 40" the more flexing u get with dueling.

Shadar Al'Niende
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Is there a lot of flex with 36" ?

My MR ObiWan is 34 i think and there is some noticeable flex there and I think those are a bigger OD.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Is there a lot of flex with 36" ?

My MR ObiWan is 34 i think and there is some noticeable flex there and I think those are a bigger OD.

MR blades are actually smaller than the stock blades here at TCSS. There should be minimal, if any, flexing during dueling with the thin-walled blade, and non-existent with the thick-walled Battle blade. A 36" blade from TCSS will have a 34" exposed length, so you should have nothing to worry about.

strengthofrage
09-10-2009, 05:00 AM
36 seems to be a really nice, comfortable length. Like Jay-Gon said, it leaves you with 34 inches exposed, not much flex at all, and a good evenly lit blade if properly diffused.

***Usually to better diffuse the blade we add the Poly-p or 'cellophane'... doing this with the corbin film greatly reduces the coring effect though fyi.

Shadar Al'Niende
09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Sweet! Thanks guys...good to know my decisions are sound ;)

Now to wait for the 20th when i get paid...

and PM privileges, yes that last one was for you Fender.;)

Matt Thorn
09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
For what it's worth, I very recently discovered, much to my own surprise, that I prefer a single wrap of Corbin. I was really amazed at the difference. With polypropylene film, more is better, but a single wrap of Corbin film gives a sharply defined core that I like. If I want evenness, I go with a couple of meters of polypropylene.

Darth Vane
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I have always wonderd about the cores with the corbin film. How profound is the core? is it just a thin line? or is it like Movie profound? the only reason i ask is beacuse i know that cameras over expose the blade color, and i was not sure it did the same with the core.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I have always wonderd about the cores with the corbin film. How profound is the core? is it just a thin line? or is it like Movie profound? the only reason i ask is beacuse i know that cameras over expose the blade color, and i was not sure it did the same with the core.
It's more of a thin line, than what you see in the movies.

Darth Vane
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok thanks Jay-gon!

Kastor
09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Is there a way to get the thicker core effect?

Matt Thorn
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Is there a way to get the thicker core effect?
The more wraps, the thicker the core. But the overall effect becomes more "blurred" as well.

Jedi-Loreen
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Not with this kind of film, no.

Kastor
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
That seems to imply there are other ways of producing a thick core effect...?

Jedi-Loreen
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I didn't mean to imply that, but I kept it on topic.

Many people have tried to get that elusive "white core" effect that you see in the movies, like tubes within tubes, multiple LEDs, multiple strands of EL wire, but to no avail. It just doesn't seem possible without photographic effects, not with current available technologies, at least.

If someone had come up with a way, I assure you, it would be posted, and probably stickied on these boards. ;)