PDA

View Full Version : What resistor should I use for Lux 3w??

Strydur
10-29-2005, 09:14 AM
This is a list of resitors to use in order to properly regulate the current to the 3w LED's that I sell. You can use a higher wattage rating than what is specified. An example would be a red lux running 4.5v, the required resitor would be a 1.2ohm 2.4w but you could use a 1.2ohm 3w or 1.2ohm 5w etc..

Red / Red-Orange / Amber Luxeons
tpyical forward voltage 2.95 1400mA

4.5v = 1.2ohm 2.4w resistor
4.8v = 1.5ohm 2.9w resistor
6v = 2.2ohm 4.3w resistor
9v = 4.7ohm 9.2w resistor
12v = 6.8ohm 13.3w resistor

White / Green / Cyan / Blue / Royal Blue
typical forward voltage 3.9 1000mA

4.5v = 1ohm 2w resistor
4.8v = 1ohm 2w resistor
6v = 2.2ohm 2.2w resistor
9v = 5.6ohm 5.6w resistor
12v = 8.2ohm 8.2w resistor

This is all based off the information from luxeon and a online resistor calculator.

Tim

adersondasilva
02-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey Tim... With this resistors, how much AA batteries can I use before blowing the LED up? About four?

Strydur
02-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I am sorry but that question does not make any sense. It doesnt matter how many batterys you have, what matters is what the total voltage of all of the batterys connected is.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Madcow
02-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks Tim,
Good resource!

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

GFORCE13
02-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks Tim once again you did it!!! Awesome this will really come in handy in the Future.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

jedijohnson
04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Question

Do any of you use the recommended lux power drive puck ?

I have attached the link for it.

I was curious, as I will soon be buying materials from Stryder to make a Led saber. However, I don't recall seing this on his site.

I recent e-mailed him on if he would be carrying the (V) 5 watt one, But mentioned that due to heat, not at this time.

I prefer to try the (V)

Since I am new to led, I want to make sure I do it right.

Ron Warris at www.luxeonstar.com, had recommend the luxdrive power puck.

But is it really needed ?

He said they did not recommend using resistors, but the Lux Puck driver instead.

You who have made these already know more than I do.

So I need your thoughts on this. Most of the items I will order from styrder, But I the (V) I may still get and the Lux Puck, depending on what all of your thoughts are.

Sporty

http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1747&link_str=240::241&partno=2008B-700

Strydur
04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
700mA LED Driver

That would work ok for a 5W but would under power a 3W

With the 5W make sure you use adequate cooling

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I have used the micropuck with the one watt luxeon leds with good results I like that I can drive the led with two AA batteries. The power puck is too large at 1.5" diameter to fit into a saber hilt. If you want to use a lux driver consider the buckpuck as the size is smaller and it comes in different output current levels.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/DarthVader.gif

Brotherhood of the Sith

LAN-ED-TUL
04-19-2006, 07:29 AM
i was goin to say the person to ask is do-clo since he built one with a puck driver.

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

987654321a
06-29-2006, 07:13 PM
hey i know this is old but tim, what bout 5w star luxeon leds? the color that i have is green about to be run off 12 volts but im not sure what the resistor should be.

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7641/reallycoolpic1bz.png

psab keel
09-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey Folks!

I searched all over the forums and I didn't wnat to create a whole new thread just for my question. Besides this pertains to this particular thread anyway.

This is my situation:

I am building an LED saber with a Star III Watt LED and I have it properly heatsinked with a two inch long multifacted sink. I'll be powering it on "direct drive" with a resistor.

4.8 (4 Qty. AA NiMH Rechargable Batteries) as my power source, and using a 1 Ohm (2 Watt) Resistor, from the shop here, to get an approximate rating of 900 mA.

I've never run any of my Star III Watts that bright before, and I wanted to know how much heat something like this might generate. My major concern is for the resistor. Will it heat up?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:D

Do-Clo
09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
No offense but you found this thread and the very first post in it gives you a list of resisters required for different voltages all for the 3 watt star leds.

xwingband
09-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Those of you that don't know, psab was one of the starters that really banged out luxeon sabers at ASAP. He got the idea for the fishing line blades that is now supplanted by Corbin's film. He just hasn't kept up. :P

Now on to the question... Your heatsink should be fine. About 9 square inches is recommended by luxeon. If that's a two inch cylinder then that wouldn't work. If it's a finned one then that's way overboard. A 1" radial with 1/16" fins will more than handle a 3W.

Follow the chart in the first post and you won't have to worry about the resistor heating either. You figure out wattage for the resistor by multiplying the amperage you are running it at (in amps not milliamps) times the voltage across the LED. So .9 x .9... less than a watt. No worries. :)

psab keel
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I figured that the resistor would be fine, but after investing the amount of money that I have into this hobby, it's best to ask questions than to have to buy more parts. (Well, at least I have a one stop shop to get nearly everything I need. :) )

For a heatsink I have one from Lumileds. It's approx. 1 Inch square and 1 inch tall, with fins pointing out of the bottom. I have this stacked on top of another heatsink of the same dimensions. I figured that should be plenty to pull the heat from the bottom of the LED.

Looks sort of like this:

---1-1----- LED
! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 1 Inch tall heatsink
! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
------------
! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 1 Inch tall heatsink
! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

(Forgive the crude diagram, I'm not the most computer savvy.

Thanks for the advice. If you have any other information or tips, please feel free to let me know.

Psab

james3
09-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow dude! Heck yeah you are go for launch with that bad boy. That should give you fine heat disapation.

Good luck and post some pics if ya can. :D

psab keel
09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the help!

It is much appreciated!

I'll try and post pics when I have a chance.