PDA

View Full Version : speaker question from the new rookie saber maker

morando6784
09-04-2009, 09:10 AM
hey whats up guys, im completly new to this so i thought i would say hello and this a great site for all the info i was looking for. i was bored one day and decided it would be cool to make a light saber. man i had now idea how crazy you could get with these. im starting my own saber now and i just got a qui-gon jin hasbro saber from ebay for 12 bucks for my guts. i was wondering if the sound would be better if i switch to one of the speakers from the shop here or somewhere else if anyone know of a place to get a speaker. or will it really not make a diffrence. and would it hurt if i put a 9v on there instead of the AAs? thanks guys remember i knew so i dont really have the lingo down and the abrevation

Jedi-Loreen
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi.

The speakers in the shop are good quality and fit inside a saber, why would you need to look for one somewhere else? Plus, please don't ask about other sources for parts, that's not allowed, this forum is attached to a store.

I don't think you've done much reading yet, or you would know that you can't put 9V to any Hasbro sound board.

You really need to do a lot of reading here so you don't get flamed when asking questions that have already been answered, sometimes many times before.

I suggest you start with this thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

Then look through the other threads in LDM's signature.

And this thread is all about the 199 Qui-gon sound board:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6641

pipster79
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
he could use a 9v battery if he wired in a 5v voltage regulator with it

Jedi-Loreen
09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I think those board can only handle 4.5V, if I remember correctly.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I think those board can only handle 4.5V, if I remember correctly.
That is true...also, a 9-volt battery has a very short runtime, and he'd be wasting the extra voltage as heat with a regulator. Best bet is to do an old trick, and use a 4 battery holder with three batteries and a jumper wire in the fourth batteries' position.

morando6784
09-07-2009, 07:57 AM
thanks for info, what do you mean a jumper off the forth, sorry if its dumb question still learning about the wiring for these. my plan is to use the lux III on mine.

DarthHideous
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
A jumper wire is a wire that replaces one of the four 1.5v batteries with a wire that is soldered between the contacts in the battery pack. It just lets you use the required voltage (4.5V) rather that the 6V you get with 4AAA. There is a thread for this, but I just got home from DC'09 and I'm beat.

Although I think the 4AAA would probably work just fine. I'm not sure, but don't FX and Hasbro boards support 6v max?

Jay-gon Jinn
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Although I think the 4AAA would probably work just fine. I'm not sure, but don't FX and Hasbro boards support 6v max?
Not the older toy saber style boards that were designed to run on 3 volts. They go *poof!* with more than 4.5.

The newer toy models that supported a ring of led's to light the blades will handle 6 volts just fine, but not the older models that used a flashlight bulb.

morando6784
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
ok i search for a thread on a jump wire and couldnt find anything, or im just not putting in the right key words or something. does someone have pic of what this looks like or a link to the thread that has it.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/000_0005.jpg
This is a mock-up, but I think you get the idea....it will need to be soldered in place, which may require some sanding on the spring and contact, and some solder flux paste. If you can't get that to work, you can do an internet search for places that sell batteries and locate a battery blank, which looks like a battery, but is basically the same thing as a jumper wire. Do not use a dead battery as a blank.

morando6784
09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
ok thanks, thats what i had pictured in my head but wasnt sure. and that will give the 4.5 volts, but will it still run the lux III

Invisas1979
09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Yes 4.5v will run the LED but it may be a little on the dim side.

Def go for Jay-Gons battery idea it will sort out a lot of agro.

As J-Lo said have a really good read of the forum, wiring and schematics and led sections would have given you the information. I know how easy it is to ask the question but people tend to appreciate a bit of effort on the part of the new guys/gals.

morando6784
09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
thanks. k i search but still couldnt find anything on this, how many volts travel threw the switch wires on the sound board (newer 4.5v board), is it 4.5v still or is it less?