PDA

View Full Version : Paint that will stick to steel?

Spaznick
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi all, I have been looking for some sort of paint that will adhere to steel (or stainless steel). I have tried enamel and oven heat treated paints (I'm trying to forgo a primer). Any ideas? Thanks

cannibal869
08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
have you thought about powder coating?
It's actually not hard at all (I was scared of it until I decided what the heck and just gave it a go). It is now my go-to method of choice for color adhering on metal parts that can fit inside my toaster oven.

Sairon
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Enamels work good, sand the place before you pain though. But PC is the way to go if you have the option.

Spaznick
08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I can't PC, but right now I'm tring a metal primer followed up by a enamel coat. Hopefully it will take, I swear it is some stubborn steel I have tried several paints, sanding and even oven paint and still it rubs right off... I will keep you updated on how it goes. :(

Kal El Rah
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Spaznick, you need to use an etching primer, it bonds at the molecular level with the metal, then you can use any paint you like. This is what is used for bare metal prep on cars.:cool:

Zook
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
first you need to get a degreasing/prep product. They sell it at automotive stores. wipe the part down with it (always wipe the residue off before it dries with a second clean/dry lint free cloth so it doesn't leave the contaminants on the metal), then sand the part, wipe it down again, then use an etching primer like Kal said, then allow it to dry and sand again, wipe it down again and spray your paint...however many coats you want to use.

That should take care of it for you.

The degreaser/prep will help get any oils from fingers and such out of the metal which create adhesion problems and fish eyes. I would use rubber gloves as well to keep from getting finger oils on the part.

Spaznick
09-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks, I finally managed to get it sticking (1 hour of sanding, 4 coats including 2 coats of black primer). What a pain in the butt, at least its on and looks great...

Invisas1979
09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
first you need to get a degreasing/prep product. They sell it at automotive stores. wipe the part down with it (always wipe the residue off before it dries with a second clean/dry lint free cloth so it doesn't leave the contaminants on the metal), then sand the part, wipe it down again, then use an etching primer like Kal said, then allow it to dry and sand again, wipe it down again and spray your paint...however many coats you want to use.

That should take care of it for you.

The degreaser/prep will help get any oils from fingers and such out of the metal which create adhesion problems and fish eyes. I would use rubber gloves as well to keep from getting finger oils on the part.

Don't sand it use wet and dry paper and wet flat the item. You'll need a fine wet paper. Also for wiping the part free of dust use a tac rag, it's a slightly sticky rag that refinishers use when wiping clean cars.

Then as Kal and Zook said, ge-grease, use a tac rag to get dust particles off then primer as many coats as you think you'll need. Make sure the first coat of primer is a dust coat, this will help the main coat of primer stick better without so much running, not a full coat.

Dex Antares
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm having similar problems. The grips and emitter on my saber are painted aluminum. My prop guy told me they wouldn't stay painted for long, so once I can get him to help me dis-assemble the thing and remove the grips and emitter, I'll send them in for powder coating :3