PDA

View Full Version : Blade Questions

PowermanX4
05-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Hello! I was wondering how heavey the blades are? It's really hard to dual with heavey blades.

Also, do the blades bend when you hit them againsted somthing? It's almost imposable to roto scope a fight sceen when the blades are bending everywhere!

Thanks!

james3
05-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Welcome. For 3/4" EL blades that Tim sells, they are not overly heavy and you don't run in to flexing issues untill you start getting in to lengths over 35 to 36 inches. The 40 inch blade has been a popular size for a while but it does flop around a bit if you dual with it.

I have dualed with both the EL and LED blades in thick and thin wall and I havn't really felt that they were hard to dual with.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

informalmyx
05-03-2006, 05:02 AM
i have a 40 inch blade and it does give i would fo with a short blade around 30 with another 2 inch in the hilt and it snot heavy just arkward cause of the blade length

<center>http://webpages.charter.net/myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Zhi-don
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I have used 40 inch EL blades since I first started teaching class. Part of the reason is that we are fighting against 40 inch shinai. You cannot lock up with a shiani regards, the blade bends too much. The thicker walled ones, 1/8 inch, don't whip around too much. They also weight next to nothing. Shorter blades would whip even less, but I personally would not want to duel with someone using a 40 inch blade if I was using one. For practice we put a wooden dowel rod inside the thinner walled, 1/16 inch, blades and covered the rod with reflective paper in the appropraite color. We seal the ends with silicone and put one small screw in, just to make sure the dowel stays in place. The rod eventually breaks, but even then, it still works. For the thicker walled poly tubes, we just rolled up some refective paper and then sealed the ends with silicone. That seems to work as well.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS

Ryma Mara
11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
What is the aprox weight of a 36-38" thickest blade?

Iam all about balance so if I have to add weight to the hilt then I will but again I dont want to make it to heavy, 9lbs is the heavyest I would want to go as thats about how much this stage ready claymore I handled.

xwingband
11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
There is no way a saber would ever get to 9lbs unless you filled it completely with lead weight. An MR with batteries is less than 3lbs and an MHS or any sinktube saber I've done hasn't been anywhere close.

For reference, my 1.25" solid stunt was 2lbs. The blade is less than a pound.

ragamuffin_1616
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
So the EL blades can be fought with and not break?

Jay-gon Jinn
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
yup. They are made from the same polycarbonate material as the 1" led based blades, only they are traditionally 3/4" in diameter.

vortextwist
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I beleive to a certain point. since there are wires in the blade and they are folded to run up and down the inside of the tube, there is a chance the wire will break where folded.

Jedi-Loreen
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I have yet to see that happen on any of the 40 or so blades I've made in the past. Not that it can't happen.

goldsaberwarrior
07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
The only main difference between the EL and LED blades are the light source they use. I've never heard of one breaking but I would say it could if you hit it EXTREMELY hard.

Hasid Lafre
07-03-2007, 09:34 PM
theres a topic floading in the el pages somewhere of a guy braking the wire everytime he tryed to put it in the blade.

goldsaberwarrior
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I think he meant was it possible to break the polycarbonate tube used in the blades from here itself. Anyway I'm not real sure.

felix142
07-05-2007, 01:45 PM
"theres a topic floading in the el pages somewhere of a guy braking the wire everytime he tryed to put it in the blade."

That was me, but the hot glue put an end to that. The hot glue wasn't in the tutorial but a good helping of it solved the problems I was having.

Darth Tollo
07-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I have dualed with both the EL and LED blades in thick and thin wall and I havn't really felt that they were hard to dual with.

I know this isn't exactly on topic but close. How do the thin wall LED blade hold up, not only bending but durability?

xwingband
07-05-2007, 02:08 PM

I know this isn't exactly on topic but close. How do the thin wall LED blade hold up, not only bending but durability?

They are fine. They bend more, but unless you are seriously gorilla dueling it's okay. Heck it tons down the clack and lights up better.