PDA

View Full Version : Any Manga Fans?

samurai_rob
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm half way thru Death Note right now and am loving it! I'm looking for something to read next and would like something that deals with the samurai. Please note that I'm not a fan of Afro Samurai style stuff. I like things more in line with the feudal era. I'm leaning toward Blade of the Immortal or Lone wolf & Cub. Anyone read any of those? Any other suggestions?

Scars Unseen
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm half way thru Death Note right now and am loving it! I'm looking for something to read next and would like something that deals with the samurai. Please note that I'm not a fan of Afro Samurai style stuff. I like things more in line with the feudal era. I'm leaning toward Blade of the Immortal or Lone wolf & Cub. Anyone read any of those? Any other suggestions?

Rurouni Kenshin is great, plus it's done, so you can get the whole thing at once and not have to wait for the next volume.

samurai_rob
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks!  I'll check it out! Any others to look for?

Blue Fox
08-27-2009, 04:21 AM
you might like Usagi Yojimbo.. or Samurai Champloo. If Ninja scroll and Ninja Ressurection were made into manga, then I'd definitely recommend them.
Personally I'm more into Mecha and Ranma 1/2 is especially close to my heart for personal reasons. If you can figure out why I'll give you a shiny gold star. ;)

grimzaar
08-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I know I spend way too much time reading manga at work. I read Bleach every week and really enjoy Change 123. One of my favorites is definitly Deadman Wonderland.

Other good ones include: Full Metal Alchemist (way better than the anime), Claymore, Black Lagoon, Fairy Tail, Elfen Lied, 20th Century Boys, Bakuman (a new series done by the guys who brought you Death Note). I would mention Death Note but that should be a given. Unfortunately, none of those really have to do with samurai but they are all really good none the less. I should also mention Highschool of the Dead, there are only a few chapters for that one out there but it is an entertaining read. Berserk may be worth checking out as it is pretty good and samurai related.

The manga I am currently reading now is Bloody Monday and it is bloody good.

Most of my reading is done at www.onemanga.com. Great site for slow work days.

samurai_rob
08-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Yeah, I love death note. It's what got me reading manga again. I've seen the ads for Claymore and they look cool. What is it about?

grimzaar
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
I will give you the basic summary, but it gets a little deeper than this. It's pretty bloody and violent too.

In a medieval world, villages are being attacked by the youma, demons that can take the appearance of their victim. The only people who can stop them are the Claymore, a group of young women named for the swords they use. They are half-human, half-demons who, mostly unwillingly, became Claymore.

grimzaar
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Berserk may be worth checking out as it is pretty good and samurai related.

I made a mistake. Basilisk is what I meant, not Berserk ... my bad :p

Darth_DevilGuy
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I made a mistake. Basilisk is what I meant, not Berserk ... my bad :p

yeah but berserk kicks ass too.

Q132
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
One piece is my fav

sekrogue1985
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Lone Wolf excellent! Samurai Deeper Kyo is a must read. RuroKen I can agree with being a worth wild read. FMA manga is not even done in Japan yet, but i can say it's a worth wild read so far. It's nice that FMA BRotherhood is airing which is a more accurate take on the manga in term of anime. Death Note A++

annon
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Lone Wolfe is amazing. Also, one that's often over looked is Path of the Assassin. Its by the same two guys that did Lone Wolf. It has Samurai and Ninja, can't beat that.
One I'm reading right now is Vagabond. It's about the real life samurai Miyamoto Musashi. The art and story are great and it comes in big fat volumes which is nice.

My very favorite manga is Battle Angel Alita. No samurai but still worth a look.

samurai_rob
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I love Miyamoto Musashi! His Book of Five Rings is one of my favorite books! He's like # 3 on my list of favorite historical figures. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!:D

djobitwan7
08-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Hmmm.....As an avid fan of both reading the Manga and watching the videos, I'll put my two cents in for watching Anime. All of the feudal ones were already mentioned. Good Anime that will not disappoint.

Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X OVA's
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play
Get Backers
Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone Complex
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka - hilarious
Hellsing
Kaze No Yojimbo
Noir
Night walker
Ninja Scroll: The movie
Peace Maker (is based on fact of the Shinsemgumi & relates to Rurouni kenshin)
Princess Mononoke
Lodoss War - all of them are pretty good
Saiyuki - all, but the reload and after it is really bad.
s-CRy-ed - excellent
Shura No Toki: Age of Chaos -- Also around feudal Japan and ties in with Shinsengumi.
Spiral
Tenjho Tenge
Vampire hunter D - Both Anime & books are good.
X: TV -- stay away from the original movie. Trust me on this one.

I have well over 600+ Anime alone and collect the Manga of all sorts. Comedy, feudal, girly, kiddy...you name it, I should have it. I only listed the interesting ones that I love, but feel free to ask about any genre of Anime you like and I can recommend pretty good.

ThreeQuadFive
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Did Blue Gender technically start out as Manga?
I loved Blue Gender.