well time to buy parts:

Kobold D ring set up

activation box 4
green ring momentary antivandal switch
vader conversion kit
2X 4 AA battery holder bought from radioshack
8 trustfires 14500 bought from dealextreme
trustfire battery charger Bought from Dealextreme

Mouser 10 watt green LED Bought from Mouser $41.95!!!
copper heatsink
small computer fan
10mm Amber LED
10mm LED holder
5mm RBG flashy led bought from radioshack. (three prong)
5mm blue blinky led
5mm ultraviolet LED
black thumb screw

two screws for kobold d ring

DJ Machine work (Finished soon.)

Custom emmiter shroud with knife spike system (I FOUND A WAY THAT IT WILL MOUNT SAFLEY AND BE REMOVABLE AS WELL)
custom luke ROTJ-like pommel.

no the ID of my vader hilt is big enough to use a 4AA pack similar to the 4AAA. so i will have room for all the bling up front... i just need a proper Relay if i decide to use the vader sound board.

so let me know if i missed anything. thanks

DJ

DJMoonbass
08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
seriously I get no help with this? wow thats mean.

im wondering how i will mount in my speaker... since im using a square 4 AA battery pack...the speaker wont fit on the bottom so whats the best way to mount a speaker near the top? also kal el rah helped me with my soundboard issue... ill just run it off the possitve and negative going to the main
LED, and ill use a resistor to the board and connect the LED and switch wires on the board.

galen marek
08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
get a square speaker:D

srsly can i see a cutaway diagram?
kthx

Malaki Skywalker
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
For the Vader board, you will need a 6V Regulator, but I must warn you, it will get very hot, so it will need heat sinking. 14V is a lot and you have to consider the heat the LED is going to make. So a hot LED, hot Resistors and a hot regulator, you may want to seriously vent this saber along with your fan and make sure your heat sink is sufficient and lets not forget thermal paste! The last thing you want to do is burn out an exspensive LED ;)

Hope this helps

cardcollector
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm having a hard time picturing this saber... Maybe a render of some sort?;)

DJMoonbass
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
i decided not to use a soundboard. i have a the tcss copper heatsink that comes with the vader conversion kit and ill mount it in a mill and drill some slots and then mount a small fan underneath to help keep it cool and ill use thermal paste between the led and heatsink. after all my trustfires wont last too long with the LED. about 15 minutes tops... i found a really nice detacheable AA battery pack and i bought 8 14500 trustfire batteries so i can swap packs real quick to have double run time...

i figured the sound board would just complicate things... and drain my batteries faster than a toilet flush so no board just the illuminated switch and three accent LEDs.

i also just bought an ultraedge blade!!!!!!!!!!! so once i make more money and get a new prepaid visa i make my BIG purchase on TCSS. so this saber should be done in 2-3 weeks

thanks Thaxos and Kal for all your help

ALSO I NEED HELP WITH MY RBG LED. its a 5mm rbg led and its a three prong... but on the back it says: Single Color, Color Changing or Flashingmodes.... I want color changing. how do i wire this thing?

xl97
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
re: RGB accent LED..

this has been discussed here several times already..

most likely you'll have to wire in a momentary switch to that RGB accent led.. to the 'mode' pin..and press the button cycling through every color until it comes to the last option..which some refer to as 'beacon' mode..where it just cycles through all colors automatically.. (and sorta fast too)..

Chewy
08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
ALSO I NEED HELP WITH MY RBG LED. its a 5mm rbg led and its a three prong... but on the back it says: Single Color, Color Changing or Flashingmodes.... I want color changing. how do i wire this thing?

DJ, do some more reading, and you'll find the answer you need. Lol, Jk, sorry, wish I could help.... maybe $k will chime in here in a sec.

eastern57
08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Center lead is the common +. One side-pin will control the OOK/toggling function, the other will scroll/blink automatically.

xl97
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
DJ.. are you talking about this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060680

if so..the flat side/pin is the - and the center pin is the + the last pin is the 'mode' pin..
hook up a momentary switch to the 'mode pin' and to ground.. and it will control the colors..

matter of fact..

read the reviews about it:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?currentTab=summary&productId=3060680&tab=custRatings#showReviews

Eastern-

what is the OOK/toggle function? I dont understand you directions..can you explain? are you talking about the same led in the link above?

Thanks

Barmic Rin
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
"Wow. That's Mean."

Sorry DJ, but just because it takes folks time to reply, doesn't mean you have to complain about it, especially since when you asked about the blade set up, most people told you they were washing their hands of the project.

I'm always intrigued by any methods of progressing the hobby, and have actually praised some of you ideas, but please realise that most members on here work full time jobs, and have kids too, so it may take us time to answer.

Frankly, with your attitude in the shoutbox of late, i'm surprised anyone answered.

Your RGB accent LED question should have been a 10 second google search.

xl97
08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Your RGB accent LED question should have been a 10 second google search.

or here.. I know his Redneck leader and I have posted about it a few times..discussing it..

Lord Maul
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Keep things civil here... If you don't post something useful, don't post. Avoid double posting as well. I don't want to have to start editing stuff.

cardcollector
08-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Not to be condensending, but to help too...

It was rather difficult to read and understand what you were comunicating...
It seemed that it was just typed on the fly and dind't take a second to organize your thoughts.

I understand that's the way some people are and think, but it also makes it more difficult for us to help you if you don't voice what you are thinking clearly.

Keep in mind too, you may be speaking it in your head, but we are reading it without knowing how you may have originally intended the message to come across.

ON TO THE LIGHTSABER...
I would just wire the RGB so it rotates between all the colors... It is easier to do and looks pretty neat! The other have already told you which wire is positive and negative...
Do you know how you will be mounting it???

Barmic Rin
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Always civil Maul. You know me, i'm one for manners.

Agreed with CC, to ease the build, just auto cycle the colours. Not enough people do that.

xl97
08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
its 'cycles' the colors FAST!..... Im not sure that would be a desired effect.. unless you want to give someone a seizure! LOL.. but I guess to each their own.. :)

cardcollector
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
its 'cycles' the colors FAST!..... Im not sure that would be a desired effect.. unless you want to give someone a seizure! LOL.. but I guess to each their own.. :)

Well it would make the opponet easier to beat...:D

I've not seen these RGB's cycle though I have others and the colors cycled very slowly, maybe they had a driver or something...

xl97
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
what RGB's are you talking about then?

link 'em up...

Thanks

cardcollector
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHqkPFW7mNI

between ~1.10 and1.30:D

Maybe LDM will reveal his secrects...

DJMoonbass
08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
hey thanks guys, and sorry barmic. i was thinkin you guys were just flat out ignoring me when i posted the second reply... (but why bring up the shoutbox? ive barely been on it) i just want to autocycle the colors so thats what i do... and instead of just 1 rgb ill use 2 on autoflash... as the name states its the AREA51 saber so i want this to look futuristicy and VERY flashy.

and btw by the time you told me to google search or use the search function on tcss you coulda told how to wire the thing 10 words ago. :roll: and barmic i didnt post ANYTHING about the blade claw setup becuase you guys made a big of a fuss about it anyway (which btw im still doing it because i can). i posted to make sure i had all my parts. so this topic had NOTHING to do with the claws. gawd it seems like i cant post ANYTHING without getting my head bit off. thats friggin rediculous.

thanks for your help guys. the saber should be done ina couple weeks... im still savin money from my job.

cardcollector
08-27-2009, 07:28 PM
i didnt post ANYTHING about the blade claw setup becuase you guys made a big of a fuss about it anyway (which btw im still doing it because i can).

Custom emmiter shroud with knife spike system (I FOUND A WAY THAT IT WILL MOUNT SAFLEY AND BE REMOVABLE AS WELL)

I think that's what barmic was talkin' about. If a lawsuit was to incur. That being included would count as "advice".

I really can't wait to see this saber. I have a feeling its gonaa look pretty neat!!!:D:cool:

DJMoonbass
09-02-2009, 09:19 PM
well i ordered my tcss order just in time for the activation box style 4 to go outa stock so im waiting on that but as of now i have everything i need to start building once they arrive.

build revisions:

i decided to use a pair of sub mini momentary swtiches on my rgb leds so they can change colors.

sound is definate go. i will use a seperate 9 volt battery for the board. YES IT WILL BE RESISTORED and the switch leads will go to the main switch.

found some other awesome add ons that will be a huge surprise.

should be done in 1 to 2 weeks

Jedi-Loreen
09-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Why are you putting a resistor on the power to your sound board?

Rhyen Skytracker
09-03-2009, 04:40 AM
DJ, just search ebay for rainbow LED and you will find the ones you are looking for. Those are the ones I use.

xl97
09-03-2009, 05:16 AM
1.) I wouldnt use a 9v... but thats just me I suppose.

2.) Rhyen- are you talking about the 2 leg RGB leds? I would think the 3 leg would be easier for him to use, especially with a momentary button..but I guess I haven never played with the 2 leg version.. works how?

3.) maybe a 'regulator'?

DJMoonbass
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
i had one of those face palm duh moments. i have a 2 AAA battery holder. ill use that and make a unit out of it, ill attach the speaker and soundboard to the battery holder and then use a a JVT connecter with the switch wires so the whole unit comes out. i want to have this done by october 14. i go to disney land on that day.

so in using 2 AA i reduce my volts from 9 to 3 and i also solve my mounting problem and it wont take up too much space.

Jedi-Loreen
09-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Have you found out if you'll even be able to take a saber into Disneyland? You might be able to take the saber, but probably not the blade.

Why aren't you going to Star Wars in Concert in Portland, instead? You can go to Disneyland anytime, it's not going anywhere. :p

Rhyen Skytracker
09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
2.) Rhyen- are you talking about the 2 leg RGB leds? I would think the 3 leg would be easier for him to use, especially with a momentary button..but I guess I haven never played with the 2 leg version.. works how?

The two leg is alot easier to hook up. All you have to do is wire it in parallel with the main LED (with the correct resistor of course). All the blinking and sequencing is internal to the LED. So, just hook it up like you would an accent LED and your good to go.

DJMoonbass
09-07-2009, 11:57 PM
i AM going to starwars in concert J LO. the day before disney land!
and yes i can the have to run my saber through security but theyll let me. if not ill pull a solo and smuggle it in the secret slot in my cloak. :P

ryhen: i decided i wanted to use the ones i have. becuase i found some perfect submini momentary switches so ill use them with these LEDs so i can push them to change colors

Sairon
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
i AM going to starwars in concert J LO. the day before disney land!
and yes i can the have to run my saber through security but theyll let me. if not ill pull a solo and smuggle it in the secret slot in my cloak. :P

ryhen: i decided i wanted to use the ones i have. becuase i found some perfect submini momentary switches so ill use them with these LEDs so i can push them to change colors

Smuggle no no, the last thing you want is a confiscated saber...

DJMoonbass
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
i might have do dump it then outside the gates. even i get borded once in a while. but i dont think jabba will be to happy if i loose this saber. .

DJMoonbass
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
sorry for the double post i just wanted to post my LED pics. this is my 10 watt green with the batteries straight out of packaging so you KNOW there not fully charged. lol well prepare to GRASP THE AWESOMNESS!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/DJMoonbass/10%20watt%20green%20pics/P1000330.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/DJMoonbass/10%20watt%20green%20pics/P1000332.jpg

i was wearing my aviators and i am STILL seeing spots and that was an hour ago. :cool::cool::cool:

Barmic Rin
09-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Well, if you enjoy seeing spots, there's a huge LED in the sky...

Seriously kids, looking directly at a class 2 laser IS NOT advisable. It's right up there with making toast in the bath, and playing hide & seek at a landfill.

FenderBender
09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Well, if you enjoy seeing spots, there's a huge LED in the sky...

Seriously kids, looking directly at a class 2 laser IS NOT advisable. It's right up there with making toast in the bath, and playing hide & seek at a landfill.

LOL!:mrgreen:

......chlorine for the gene pool...........

cardcollector
09-15-2009, 05:20 AM
I like the brightness!!!:cool:

NOW FINISH THIS SABER!!!:p

Rhyen Skytracker
09-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Now that is a night light. LOL Are you done with the saber yet? Hurry up every chance you get. :lol:

DJMoonbass
09-15-2009, 09:27 AM
i didnt look directly at it cuz i had my super dark avaitors on. but still. i went to bed with one hell of a headache.

i cant start on my saber yet because its my senior project and i am waiting on our assignment project proposal. :mad: I WANT TO BUILD NOW!!!!

Danz409
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
wow. i see why your calling the area 51... not only does the thing seem like its made of alien technology but its all green-a-fied and that pic of you holding it... YOU LOOK LIKE AN ALIEN!
very nice looking LED that can be sed, cant wait to see the whole thing!

K1LLR0Y
09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
That is gonna be a SICK saber, cant wait till you finish it...Oh, and turn around

DJMoonbass
09-16-2009, 09:32 AM
i decided to call LEDengin and talk to the technicall support guys that work with them because i was really getting confused on the power requirements on my 10 watt. They said the ENTIRE led needs 700 to 1000 ma. because all four dice share the current but run at 14.8 volts... man that was confusing. and that also said my fan/heatsink/thermal paste combo would be good to use with my LED so thats settled and there goes 4 days of stress....