PDA

View Full Version : Some parts out of stock, what to do?

Amanita
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
So I'm working on a lightsaber for my halloween costume, and I have a little problem.
Some of the parts I want are in stock, while others are not.
The stuff in stock is as follows:
LED blade holder style 18
MHS choke style 3
pommel style 3
As well as the basic P4 electronics kit and heatsink.

However, there are a couple of parts out of stock:
Hilt style 4
Buckpuck 1000mA 4 wire

I am worried that if I wait for the missing parts to be back in stock, then something else on my list will have run out by then. But shipping seems to cost a minimum of $20 to Canada, no matter how small the package, which is deterring me from ordering just the stuff that's in stock to make sure I have it and waiting on the rest.\

So which is best? Wait for the missing items, or suck it up and eat another $20 in shipping fees when the missing stuff comes in?

Darth Demens
08-21-2009, 03:58 PM
You can replace the Buckbuck 4-wire with the Buckpuck 6-wire (which is in stock), and never notice the difference. Edit: Also, that P4 pack will come with a resistor as well. Not quite as efficient as a buckpuck, but you could use the resistor until the 4-wire buckpucks are back in stock.

As for the hilts, Tim said there was a problem with his last batch, but I would assume that he's going to be trying to get them back in as soon as possible. I do notice that he has the 7" double female's in stock, so you could always try sending him an email and seeing if you could pay the work fees to get it converted to look like a Style4. 16.99 for the extension, 10 for the switch hole, that leaves you $3.01 for custom work fees before you'd pay the same price as a Style 4, but the money you save on the second shipping cost should more than cover the extra.

$tarkiller
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
you could wait.....

Strydur
08-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Hilts will be back in stock next week. Everything should be back in time for you to build sabers for halloween.

Amanita
08-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Awesome..I was wondering if I could use the 6 wire buckpuck, or would the extra two wires get in the way? I'm not planning to use a soundboard or anything else fancy- just cap off the two extra wires, then?

Barmic Rin
08-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Patience.

$tarkiller
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
It depends on what setup you are using. Tim (Strydur) posted a new wiring guide (for people not too familiar with wiring) to help. You can just go selct your setup, and it will give you the necessary requirements.

Thaxos
08-23-2009, 08:37 AM
So I'm working on a lightsaber for my halloween costume, and I have a little problem.
Some of the parts I want are in stock, while others are not.
The stuff in stock is as follows:
LED blade holder style 18
MHS choke style 3
pommel style 3
As well as the basic P4 electronics kit and heatsink.

However, there are a couple of parts out of stock:
Hilt style 4
Buckpuck 1000mA 4 wire

I am worried that if I wait for the missing parts to be back in stock, then something else on my list will have run out by then. But shipping seems to cost a minimum of $20 to Canada, no matter how small the package, which is deterring me from ordering just the stuff that's in stock to make sure I have it and waiting on the rest.\

So which is best? Wait for the missing items, or suck it up and eat another $20 in shipping fees when the missing stuff comes in?

Bladeholders come with heatsinks, you don't need to purchase a second one. As for shipping to Canada, I know how you feel. I always just wait it out until all the parts are in stock.