PDA

View Full Version : Seoul P4 with filter or Amber LED?

Amanita
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm looking to build a yellow bladed saber as soon as the MHS parts I want are back in stock.
I'm planning to use a buckpuck driver, but I am wondering- which would look better? A dedicated amber LED with the buckpuck, or a white Seoul P4 with a yellow filter?

dgdve
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
its just from my experience the filters(color disc's) dont actually do as good as you'd like them to.. but for yellow its pretty good.. other colors it seems to dim the light alittle to much or just not match the color unless you stack them(for my taste)
~dave

cannibal869
08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Agreed. If you want yellow, go with P4 (or even P7?!) with a yellow filter. Should come out quite nicely.
If you want more orange , then just go with the amber LED

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
If you go with amber, in order to properly drive it to it's fullest, it wants 1400mA, which means wiring 2 700mA buck pucks together. If you use a white P4 with a filter, then you only need a 1000mA buck puck.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I posted some pictures of a white P4 with some yellow and amber Lee filters on page 2 of this thread. It might help you make up your mind.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=348

Rhyen Skytracker
08-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Here are some results I have gotten with a white LED and LEE color filters.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7445

Eandori
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
The best yellow luxeon style I have ever seen in person was a white P4 with a yellow filter. No amber I ever had (K2, Lux III, etc.) ever compared to the white P4 with a yellow filter.

cardcollector
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
to be redundant...

Amber is Waaaay more orange than yellow.

If you got a lower BIN like 1, or 2 it could pass but it is still more like a light orange.

Hasid Lafre
08-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually a bin 2 amber dosent appear as orange as you think it would. Considering its bins 4 and 5 that make it orange ish

Amanita
08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Looks like I am definately going with the seoul P4 and some filters, then. Anyone know where I can get one of those filter swatch books? I recall somebody posting a site where you could order several different company swatch books, but darned if I can find it now.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/contact/

You used to be able to just send them a message at that link, and just ask for a swatch book. I got mine that way. I have heard from a few people lately that they won't send you one directly, but will instead refer you to your closest local distributor. If you have one nearby, you might get be able to get one. If you don't, I don't know what you would do.

Maybe someone else can share their experience.

Sairon
08-22-2009, 07:59 AM
You just use the link that obi dar posted, enter the required fields, and in the enquiry section state "I would like to request the free designers edition swatch book." and then send the message. If they don't return the message they most likely have shiped it to you and you will have to wait around three weeks to get it (it takes a long time). But if you get an email about using a local distributer, go to that link and just do what I said earlier in this post.

Amanita
08-22-2009, 08:59 AM
After reading some of the stories here on the site, I am reluctant to go to lee filters directly. People are reporting that it takes months even to get an email saying "talk to your local distributer", let alone a swatch book.

Somebody here posted a link to a website where for about $3.75 you could buy swatch books from several different companies and have them shipped right to you without all the rigmorale of waiting weeks or months possibly just to be told to kiss off and bother somebody else.

Sairon
08-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Do what you want, it's up to you to wait or go do somthing different.

Novastar
08-22-2009, 05:36 PM
In general... the darker the filter--the less overall light is coming out... almost without exception.

This explains why colors like yellow, sky blue and pink are among the most "satisfying" and easy-to-obtain via "white LED + filter" vs. something more like purple or orange.

In general, you want a HIGH rate of transference with the filter. Something like at LEAST 75% or more wherever possible.

Come to think of it... the only "real" colors that are essentially missing from current LED chemistry (without doing RGB or filtering) are just that:

Yellow
Orange
Sky Blue
Pink
Purple

I can't imagine any other colors that one would want to get (via FILTERING) that wouldn't simply be slightly modified versions of these. Well, ok, other than "barely there" colors, such as making a super super pastel yellow, or orange, blah blah.

For example, teal can easily be achieved by the desirable bins between green & blue spectrums.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-23-2009, 08:33 AM
This saber uses a white K2 TFFC led and Lee's "Deep Straw" filter:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%20X/000_1436.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%20X/000_1437.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%20X/000_1438.jpg

A P4 powered blade would be the same brightness. There is no single led that will get you that shade of yellow, unless like it was said before, you use an RBG or similar type of led. The white led + filter is much easier to do.

Thaxos
08-23-2009, 08:44 AM
After reading some of the stories here on the site, I am reluctant to go to lee filters directly. People are reporting that it takes months even to get an email saying "talk to your local distributer", let alone a swatch book.

Somebody here posted a link to a website where for about $3.75 you could buy swatch books from several different companies and have them shipped right to you without all the rigmorale of waiting weeks or months possibly just to be told to kiss off and bother somebody else.

I emailed them about a month ago, they never replied back but to my chagrin, they indeed mailed me the giant filter swatchbook and a couple info booklets!