PDA

View Full Version : My first saber...be nice.

Jasten Skywalker
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey, I just wanted to share some pics and a video of my very first self-done MHS saber. I'm really happy with it. I showed some weathering pics a month or so ago in this thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8436

It's nothing fancy, but I'm happy that I was able to accomplish it. Let me just say really quick that these forums have been the biggest help in the world! I found every single bit of information I needed by reading through these boards. I never had to ask a single question because I found it by searching. From soldering, to using a dremel, I've found it all here. Thanks for that. It's been a great experience.

Okay. Here are the parts I used:

BH 11 (swiss cheese baby!)
Choke style 1 short
Hilt style 2
Pommel style 4
Ultrasound 2.1
TCSS sinktube
TCSS premium speaker
Lux V Cyan bin 1 from TCSS
2 Trustfire 3.7v 900mAh rechargeables

It was really a great experience. I've already started working on another one. I want to say again, THANK YOU to all of you who post so much helpful information on these boards. I tend to be shy when it comes to asking questions, so I was relieved when I found every answer I needed through the search function.

Well, enough rambling. Here are the pics and a quick video:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183700.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183524.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183536.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183739.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183805.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-08-13183839.jpg
Here's one with the lights off.

And the video. (Sorry about the awful camera. My digital died so I'm stuck using my gf's camera from around '03 or something. ;) )

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/th_DSCF0323.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/?action=view&current=DSCF0323.flv)

Sairon
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks realy nice, off topic now what saber is the one to the right (not the luke the other one)?

Jasten Skywalker
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
That's the next MHS I'm working on. I'm really excited about it. I'll have picks of that pretty soon. ;)

Sairon
08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
That's the next MHS I'm working on. I'm really excited about it. I'll have picks of that pretty soon. ;)

Good, can't wait!

Barmic Rin
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Good job dude, good build, decent weathering.

Very impressed, though I would have dirtied up the blade holder a little more....

Jasten Skywalker
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
It's hard to tell, but the blade holder is pretty dirty. You can see it better in the weathering thread I linked at the beginning of my post.

cannibal869
08-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Dude, for a first saber, that is a VERY good job!
Lighted anti-vandal switch?! Ultrasound 2.1?!! Weathering?!?!

Skills this one has!

annon
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Be nice? Oh, that wont be hard.:cool:
Very cool. The weathering really brings the whole thing together. Good work.

dgdve
08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
lol be nice... around here you earn it... and boy did you earn it.. for a first saber im proud to see how much you picked up from such a simple thing... reading. Believe me it wont be long before your a sabersmith.. to be master takes years but your on your way and i love to see the new generation doing such wonderful things for first sabers... lol my first saber was an el direct drive sink tube(didnt have mhs or led back then, hell we made our own sleeves for blade holders) so all i can say is WOW look how far things have come since the 90's.. accent led's, vandal switches.. weathering.. my jaw drops at some of the "first sabers" ive seen recently. GREAT job and keep us posted on your newest project
~dave

sekrogue1985
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
mmmm cheese emitter...drool. you earned your stars very nice job.

FenderBender
08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
GREAT JOB!

I too am REALLY interested in the new saber. Has a great look to it.

Jedi-Loreen
08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
It's not at all hard to be nice.

That's a very nice saber.

You did a great job on it. :D

Ebek
08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I like it!

DJMoonbass
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
im loving that emmiter more and more

Kal El Rah
08-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice saber, and a great weathering job on it.8):):p:-D

Invisas1979
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah very nice first saber, can't believe you got hold of a US 2.1 for it. Would loved to have had one of those in my first saber.

The other one in the background is what I want to see, this looks very, very interesting.

Picks as soon as you can my friend.

sithlordfaust
08-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Awesome First. Hit the Ground Runnin!
I really like the illuminated swith against the weathering

Lonewind
08-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Good work! Looks great. :D

strengthofrage
08-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Very well done, can't wait to see the new one you're working on ;)

Jasten Skywalker
08-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm really happy with it.

As far as the "other" saber I'm working on, I'm VERY excited about it. It's kind of an Obi-wan, Qui-gon inspired design. It's an MHS as well. I'm waiting on the ribbed extension to come back in stock at TCSS. I'm gonna have it pc'd in solar flat black. I'm using the ribbed extension from my V2 on it right now so that I could cut the sink tube overlay and the aluminum tube overlay with my dremel. It's been a real experience to say the least. My hands hurt from all of the hand filing I've had to do on it.

I'm planning out the electronics right now. I'm going to wait and try my luck in getting a CF when Erv puts his next batch up for sale. I'm planning to put around 4-6 accent leds on it. I ordered one of X-Wing's tri-rebels for it. If that doesn't work out, I'll put either a green or a blue in it. I'll post pics of it when I get the ribbed extension from Tim, and when I get the outside of the saber completed.

Thanks again and Stay tuned! :D

Jedi-Loreen
08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
lol be nice... around here you earn it... and boy did you earn it.. for a first saber im proud to see how much you picked up from such a simple thing... reading. Believe me it wont be long before your a sabersmith.. to be master takes years but your on your way and i love to see the new generation doing such wonderful things for first sabers... lol my first saber was an el direct drive sink tube(didnt have mhs or led back then, hell we made our own sleeves for blade holders) so all i can say is WOW look how far things have come since the 90's.. accent led's, vandal switches.. weathering.. my jaw drops at some of the "first sabers" ive seen recently. GREAT job and keep us posted on your newest project
~dave
Are you sure you have made EL sabers before? There's no such thing as "direct driving" EL sabers, you have to have an inverter to change the DC current into high frequency AC current for the EL wire to light up. Let's see some pics of your any of your sabers.

If you made EL sink tube sabers before there were LED sabers, or MHS parts, then you should probably know who I am. If you don't, try Googling "Jedi-Loreen". :cool:

Zook
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
That is a great looking saber first time or not looks like a pro did it. its amazing how much info is on this site if you just look...great job looking and finding.

cardcollector
08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Looks good!:cool:

Nice use of the swiss Cheese bladeholder!

Jonitus
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
So what's all this then? A N00b that actually read the forums and used the search function to find the info he needed to build his first saber? And the saber turns out to look great and function properly? Be still my heart.

Clone this n00b! We need more like him.

Nice saber, by the way. Personally, I'm not terribly fond of the swiss cheese blade holder, but if you are, that's what's really important. The shroud looks great, the weathering nice. A well-executed project.

galen marek
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
aww man you made me jealouse! i've been here over 2 years ( most of the time on another account) and still not finished my first saber,which will look hopefully as good as that amazing first build,and i have begun 2 more saber projects, but i guess its okay seeing as im only 13 and only one of those projects (the first one) is a MHS saber, and even then its not entirely MHS. i hope i'll be the youngest person to build a saber without help from parents or adults once i'm done! if you know any younger saber builders tell me!:p

Jasten Skywalker
08-16-2009, 08:27 AM
So what's all this then? A N00b that actually read the forums and used the search function to find the info he needed to build his first saber? And the saber turns out to look great and function properly? Be still my heart.

Clone this n00b! We need more like him.

Nice saber, by the way. Personally, I'm not terribly fond of the swiss cheese blade holder, but if you are, that's what's really important. The shroud looks great, the weathering nice. A well-executed project.

Haha thanks! Seriously though, this site has taught me so much. I read through threads daily and find tons of useful information. It's crazy how much knowledge is actually in this forum. It seems daunting at first for a n00b because there is SO MUCH to read, but if you're serious about wanting to build a saber (and build it right) then you just suck it up and read. I've learned a lot more than I was looking for by reading here. It's gonna help me in my future saber building ventures. :)