PDA

View Full Version : question about voltage and batteries

Spaznick
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
So I'm working on converting a saber and I'm running into a bit of an issue. The current setup has no sound and is powered by 2 aaa batteries lined up side by side. I'm thinking of setting up a lux 3 with a MR board and a small led lit crystal; however the space in the hilt is tight and I don't think I can fit 2 AA batteries side by side. My question is, with the above outlined setup, what's the minimum voltage I can get away with? What's the highest voltage aaa batteries available and would 2 of them be sufficient to power a mr board, lux3 and accent led (radio shack small led): confused:

Lonewind
08-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi,

It all really depends on which Lux3 color you want to use - they have different voltage requirements. Study this chart: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/resistor.aspx

Also, AAA batteries offer the same voltage as AA they just have less battery life due to their size.

I run 3 AAA (4.5 v) with a round battery holder, MR sound board, and Blue Lux3 in one of my sabers.

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't think an MR board will run on only 3V, they are set up to run on 4.5V. Which is 3 batteries. ;) You can also run them on 6V, which is the max for most FX type boards and easier to find battery holders for.

Spaznick
08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
hmmm... sounds like I will have to get creative. I will prob need a 4AAA setup to power it (i'll have to measure the od and either go with 4aaa or two aa).

On a side note, does anybody know what resistor I would need for the MR board (on a 4aaa pack)?

Thanks

Zook
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I think a couple of sabersmiths have used the Li-ion batteries at 3.7V with MR sound and LED. you can put two of them in parallel and still have 3.7V and have longer run time. Plus you can hook it up to a recharge port and not have to take the hilt apart.

If you get the ones from the store they are AA size and will work well.

If you do that be sure to make your own pack (with soldered connections and shrink wrap) instead of using a holder. If you used a battery holder you would have to reconfigure the holder since most of them are set up for a series connection.

Or just use one and have more room in the hilt.

For Li-Ion you have to buy the correct smart charger for the voltage you are using (as well as mah rating).

Spaznick
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
What about 2 of these in a aa battery holder?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2598

3.7 300mh aaa batteries:confused:

Zook
08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
What about 2 of these in a aa battery holder?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2598

3.7 300mh aaa batteries:confused:

no... its aaa batteries so you would need a aaa holder. Plus see my post above about needing to wire them up as your own pack because most holders are set up for series not parallel.

Plus that is horrible run time. Even if you put one of the AAA batteries Tim sells at 900 mah it will last as long as 3 of those in parallel with a lot less trouble to wire up.

The batteries Tim sells in the store are AA batteries have 900 mah run time and like I said if you put them in parallel you get double the run time (not sure if its actually double but it should be in theory). Plus the ones Tim sells are already protected with a PCB built in and are a two pack for dirt cheap.

If you dont have room for two AA batteries you could put just the one Li-ion AAA for decent run time.

Others have used the 123 sized batteries and some other smaller ones.

Search the build threads of many of the sabersmiths on here and other places for multiple batteries used.

I have used up all my knowledge on batteries with what I have posted (sorry just dont know that much about them...just what I have done myself and read).

Spaznick
08-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Opps yeah I know you can't put an aaa in a AA holder (just a typo). Anyway; I will see if the AA will fit and if not then try the 4AAA or single AA. Thanks for the help

X
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
hmmm... sounds like I will have to get creative. I will prob need a 4AAA setup to power it (i'll have to measure the od and either go with 4aaa or two aa).

On a side note, does anybody know what resistor I would need for the MR board (on a 4aaa pack)?

Thanks

No resistor required for 4 aaa running an MR cuz MR can handle up to 6V (4aaa or 4aa) like J-Lo said here

I don't think an MR board will run on only 3V, they are set up to run on 4.5V. Which is 3 batteries. You can also run them on 6V, which is the max for most FX type boards and easier to find battery holders for.
And what are the demensions of the saber your working on ie MHS, Graflex, Sinktube?