PDA

View Full Version : Hilts + Switches

nightinerr
08-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Hello. I wasn't certain whether an SPST switch, as mentioned here:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Build-Your-Ownbr-Luxeon-III-Seoul-P4-Electronics-Kit-P6.aspx

would fit one of the "main bodies" of the MHS. Also, could someone describe to me the difference between the "push on/off" and the SPST switch?

Barmic Rin
08-08-2009, 08:18 AM
As a first saber, stick with the push on push off.

SPST is for slightly more complex builds.

TimeRender
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Actually, both the momentary and push on push off switches are spst, which stands for single post single throw. In simplest terms, spst switches have two states, on and off. The real option for the black switches is whether you get push on push off or momentary. A momentary switch is only on while you are physically holding down the button. A push on push off switch clicks into place. If you are using the basic luxeon kit, the only switch that will work is the push on push off switch. Momentary switches work with some of the driver boards.

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Um, guys, have either one of you used the SPST Momentary switch he's asking about?

I use those in my sabers. They act just like a latching switches. Read the description in the store. :rolleyes:

I prefer them because the don't make your LED turn off briefly if you bump the button, like with the regular latching switches.

I usually suggest this switch for someone who will be dueling with their saber.

TimeRender
08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I apologize, I have not in fact used these, I assumed they would be exactly the same as all of the other momentary switches I have ever used.

Edit: I went back to see what Loreen was talking about. I made a mistake about which switches were listed in that kit, but fundamentally everything I told you before was true. Now, to avoid any further confusion, let me revise what I said before.

All of the black plastic switches that Tim sells are single post single throw, which means they have two states. They are either on or off. There are three configurations on these switches; latching, momentary, and push on/off momentary. A momentary switch only maintains a closed circuit when you are physically holding down the button. Latching switches will remain on or off until you press them to change their state. Push on/off switches essentially act as a hybrid of a momentary and latching switch. I mentioned before that momentary switches aren't good for the luxeon kits and that they are intended for use with some drivers, which of course is why no momentary switches are offered in the kit. All three of the switches offered in the kit act as latching switches.

I apologize for jumping in too quickly with an answer before I was totally clear on what was being asked. I don't often do that.
Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the terminology for you.

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2009, 11:16 PM
It's ok, I wish I was here earlier to answer his question first.

A friend and I were the ones to ask Tim to add those SPST Mom switches to his store, since we'd used them with EL kits before.

This is a case where there is helpful information in the Store description which could have let you answer that question.