PDA

View Full Version : stunt blades

fcpremixer
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Are there any stunt blades in the custom saber shop? And if you can use carbon fiber as the blade, can you modify it to be used as a blade on any hilt in tcss?

Sairon
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
A regular PolyC balde from them store will work fine for stunts and movie making, and is much cheaper then Carbon fiber rods.

fcpremixer
07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
thanks.

Jedi-Loreen
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Carbon fiber blades are really nice, if you've never used one, though. They feel like they weigh almost nothing and they are very fast, if you're going to be dueling with them. Some friends of mine have some, so I've gotten to try them.

The ones I know of are made for a 3/4" blade holder, so you could get this reducer and a longer blade retention screw to use it in an MHS blade holder.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Search.aspx?k=reducer

Sairon
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I guess if your going to be going realy fast and doing alot of dualing then go carbon fiber, but if your using a less paced speed than PolyC is fine. Both work great.

Master Cornchip
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
How well do the battle blades hold up in dueling and movie making? can they take a pretty good wack or should I look into something a little more thicker?

jtzako
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
I've heard that the battle blades can take about as hard a swing as you could do.. but I havent got mine yet so I cant speak from experience.

Sairon
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Thin walled blades are great, have you seen Novastars Bop series he used thin walled blades and they each when through thousands of hits and only one or two broke. Thick walled blades are heavier and can take an even harder beating than the thin walled blades.

Jedi-Loreen
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
The Battle Blades have a 1/8" thick wall, they are very strong, I've been using those for years.

I'm not aware of any thicker walled 1" diameter polycarbonate tubing in existence.

Master Cornchip
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Ok cool. I think i'll stick with that until something else comes along. Thanks.

B5813
07-30-2009, 07:34 PM
The thick walled battle blade is noticeably heavy. For solo spinning I use an emptied MR blade... I'm guessing it's about the weight of the thin walled polycarb blade sold here. Very light and easier to manipulate.

Alcfalath
07-30-2009, 09:56 PM
The thickwalled blades, however highly indestructible they are, are very unweildy when trying to do complex spinning and fight choreography work, especially for fully choreographed light tough fighting. Your best bet is the thinwall blades that they stock here, however if you are unsure, you can always get a thickwall as well, just in case.

ARKM
07-31-2009, 02:49 AM
The Battle Blades have a 1/8" thick wall, they are very strong, I've been using those for years.

I'm not aware of any thicker walled 1" diameter polycarbonate tubing in existence.

K-Mac sells them up to a 1/4" thick wall.

The thickwalled blades, however highly indestructible they are, are very unweildy when trying to do complex spinning and fight choreography work, especially for fully choreographed light tough fighting.

My LCC3 (Lightsaber Choreography Contest III) entry begs to differ. Now I know a lightsaber blade is supposed to be weightless and I know thick-walled polycarbonate is not. However, thick-walled polycarbonate weighs much less than most real sword blades (stainless steel poodoo is not what I am talking about when I say "real"). That means prop lightsabers with electronics and thick-walled blades are lighter than most real swords. Anywho, I consider myself to be a physically weak guy and I do not find sabers with thick-walled blades to be unwieldy at all. I will however say that using lighter blades is much nicer for certain things.

Anywho, fcpremixer, I don't know if you are wanting stunt blades for a fanfilm or not but in case you are... the biggest beef fanfilmers have with polycarbonate blades is whip (how much the blade bends when it strikes an object) and thickness. To get the whip down to manageable levels you pretty much have to have a 1" OD by 3/4" ID thick-walled polycarbonate blade. The 3/4" blades, regardless of wall thickness are way too whippy. The same can be said for 1" OD thin-walled blades. The whip on a thick-walled polycarbonate blade is very easy to fix in post when "rotoscoping" the lightsaber blade. However, most fanfilmers cannot get past how thick the blade looks when rotoscoped and as such, choose other blade materials instead. Personally I have no problem with how a rotoscoped 1" OD blade looks.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-31-2009, 05:39 AM
You make a good point about whip...Parksabers has a commercial with saber duels and the blades are so whippy they almost look like wet noodle fighting lol

Master Cornchip
07-31-2009, 06:39 AM
what's the weight difference netween 1 1/2" Pvc pipe and a 1" OD blade because i've used the PVC just for practicing purposes and i don't think it's that difficult to wield.

Charmaynard
02-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Do the Carbon Fiber Rods have the whip problem too? I'd love to get a PolyC Blade, but my friend who shoots for us wants every dueler with the same blade, and the majority already have the CF Blades.

ARKM
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Do the Carbon Fiber Rods have the whip problem too?.

No. They're quite stiff.

Jedi-Loreen
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
If you've never fought with a carbon fiber blade, it feels like nothing else. They are so light, they feel like they aren't even there.

I don't own one, but I've fought with friend's blades.

We had them taped on the tips to pad the metal tips a bit, for safety.

Charmaynard
02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, I'm looking at ordering it from Randomsabers. They have an accesory kit so it'll fit in my MHS Blade Holder and they have a steel shouldered tip to glue to the top. How bad's the sting when you get hit with one?

Jedi-Loreen
02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
It's a narrow blade, so it can sting pretty badly if you get hit hard.

My group only fights using 50% power, and it still stings.

My friend's blades were from Random, also. I don't actually know of anyone else that carries those.

cardcollector
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
How bad's the sting when you get hit with one?

I do have to say this-
If you fight with a lightsaber you're gonna get hit.:rolleyes:

and it hurts no matter what blade you're using.;):-P

Jedi-Loreen
02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, but thinner blades are going to hurt more. Less surface area on the blade concentrates the point of contact over a smaller area of your body.

If, for example, using stiff cardboard tubes, you get hit by a 3" diameter tube, it's going to hurt a lot less than a 1/2" tube.

And those carbon fiber blades move fast. They take some getting used to.

Darth Zion
02-09-2010, 07:00 AM
I can tell you that the thick wall blades are really strong. one time I was very upset about something, or as my wife says " A purple pants moment." I took one of my sabers and smashed the blade in to a wall. The drywall broke all the way through and the blade had no prob.

Charmaynard
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh, I'm totally expecting to have a few welts from practice, I'm just curious if I'm gonna break the skin with these things.

Jedi-Loreen
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Unless you go totally crazy and try to hit someone as hard as you can, I wouldn't think so.

It still a good idea to use some restraint, of course, since you won't be wearing armor, like they do in Kendo. There's a reason they wear it.

Charmaynard
02-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Well, my friend and I are pretty big guys, so I think even when we have the velocities down, we're still only going to go at about 60% when we're filming.

Hasid Lafre
02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Carbonfiber blades although its carbon fiber they still have to be replacesed after periods of time.

I dont care for them cause they are pricy and they can break, poly carb 99% of the time wont.

Charmaynard
02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Carbonfiber blades although its carbon fiber they still have to be replacesed after periods of time.

I dont care for them cause they are pricy and they can break, poly carb 99% of the time wont.

How do you break a Carbon Fiber Rod?

ARKM
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Just an FYI, the Randomsabers carbon fiber blades are tubes, not rods. Anywho...

I don't know if it was ever put up on youtube or just a file you could download, but I have seen a video of two guys from the Fan Films forum over at theforce.net, dueling with two Randomsabers carbon fiber blades and it shows one breaking.

One the other hand, those same make and model of carbon fiber blades were used in the popular web video "Ryan vs. Dorkman 2" and they did not break a single blade. They also had them wrapped in reddish/orange gaffers tape.

Carbon fiber "blades" break just like everything else. Too much force or too much usage will break anything. It may take 1 second to break a thing or it may take a million years but eventually it will happen if it keeps getting used.

SithDuelist45
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
How well do the battle blades hold up in dueling and movie making? can they take a pretty good wack or should I look into something a little more thicker?

I dont know about battle blade, but i've used the the Thick walled color Poly-c blades (provided here at TCSS) and duel with my friend who was using a scheduel 80 PVC blade and after 2 weeks of 3 hour-a-day duels his blade shattered into shards all over my yard, while my poly-c thick wall is still holding up even to this day (and my friend has gone through 4 blades of various thicknesses/lengths of PVC) so i would say that when it boils down to it, TCSS's thick walled blades are as good as they come (but i've never used the carbon fiber rods so i cant say anything about them). I bought my colored poly-c in solid red and it still looks great :) just my 2 cents

SithDuelist45
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I do have to say this-
If you fight with a lightsaber you're gonna get hit.:rolleyes:

and it hurts no matter what blade you're using.;):-P

amen to that. it would be best to wear glove at least when dueling to help absorb the inpact when you get hit in the knuckles, especcially if there sport bike or similar motorcyle gloves as those have armoured knuckles which help a great deal when your sparrring full force and your right hand takes the brunt of it :) and if your costumed up and filming, some gloves can actually add to your look (if your going sith/darkside esecially).

Lobezno
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi!

Let me reflow this post... I'm on the process to order a couple of sabers for filming, and I want carbon fiber tubes for the blades... Can anyone tell me which adapter do I need to fit the carbon fiber tube on the blade holder and how I order the proper drill and tap holes? I think I got a good idea of the rest, I've done the homework :-)

Thank you very much.