PDA

View Full Version : Detonator wiring

DragonStar
07-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to complete some thermal detonators and I'm having an issue. Please help? :D
Basically, here is the situation, but first a diagram:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hkMwWY8mX2A/Sm-ripoN18I/AAAAAAAABBs/qtg3N7-Nc0c/s400/detonator%20wiring.png

When it's all wired up, the following occurs:

(GOOD) when the kill plug is out, the led in the thumb switch lights up. When the kill plug is in, it turns off.

(GOOD) When I press the button, the pager motor goes off and the blinky LED lights up.

(BAD) The light almost immediately turns off.

(BAD) the motor cuts off

(BAD) The led and motor don't really come back on. Unless I attach them directly to another battery, in which case both are fine.

If there's a short, why does the switch led work properly? why are the led and pager motor ok separately but not in this config? Thanks for any answers! This is driving me nuts.

DragonStar
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I have done some additional research. Even with just the Lion cell, pager motor, and LED, I cannot get both to run at the same time. I've tried every configuration of pos to negative, series, parallel, that I can think of. Only the LED lights, and the pager motor never goes off. Unless it is just the pager motor alone.

Thaxos
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking the switch wiring is what has you befuddled and annoyed at the thing.
A written explanation of what you want to happen when the switch is in its ON state and when it's in its OFF state would help...

Jedi-Loreen
07-28-2009, 10:47 PM
There seems to be some confusion on how the switch leads are labeled, Rob.

DragonStar
07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the replies! Expected behavior:

kill plug in place: nothing happens. (unless recharge plug is in, in which case LION is recharging.)

kill plug out: the NO switch "warning" light comes on

switch closed: the warning light stays on, the blinking led lights up and the pager motor goes off

DragonStar
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Specs that I have available:

driver board: - 1W 350mA (+/- 10%) Regulated Power Output
Recommended input voltage range: 3.6V~4.5V (such as 1x rechargeable lithium battery, 2xAA, 2xAAA, 3xAA, and 3xAA batteries)

flasher led: 3.5 Vdc @ 40 mA
Absolute Maximum rating
• Reverse current 100 uA
• Peak current - - duty 100 mA 0.1-1 KHz

pager motor: unknown

switch led: flexible. I can go with a red flasher at 3 - 5 Vdc, or this one http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets//spec/LED-59.pdf or anything else I can scrounge up on the internets.