PDA

View Full Version : selecting solder

theJUDGE
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
hello everyone, i am getting ready to put together all of the electronics of my first saber and i went to my local radio shack to buy some rosin core solder. i was stumped to see they had different sizes. i dont know what size to get, does it matter? what do all of you guys use? sorry if this is a dumb question

cardcollector
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Try searching...;)
this should help
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5013&highlight=solder

theJUDGE
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
thanks cardcollector, i have been searching for over 30 minutes and never once ran across that thread lol. i guess that is what happens when the forum contains so many posts ( especially with the words solder and soldering lol). oh well, thanks again.

ps: i found the thread with your first saber, it is inspiring me with my second build's design. nice nice

cardcollector
07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey you're welcome.:wink:

A tip when searching- try the advanced search function. you can type in your word and then bleow that it says "Titles only" That is how I found everything relatively quickly.

You know that saber is funny... I never really planned it out- I just built it as I went along. I'm glad you like it.

B5813
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Judge, I'll tell you what I use. Standard, lead free very fine rosin core solder. I prefer very fine size because I feel I can control the "flow" adding just enough to get the job done instead of ending up with more or less a glob of solder over my connections. I don't think manufacturer matters as much as the type. Your choice of solder irons is even more important.