PDA

View Full Version : maybe someday oled blades

Azrael
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
this is something that i needed to post just to get it off my mind, i came across this one day while doing some research for another thing and couldnt get it out of my head. For those who dont know oledīs are organic microscopic leds, now a days they are used as pc monitors, cell phone screens, mp4-5-16...whatever the number is today players screen etc..
The method used to create the films of oleds is they use a industrial "printer" that prints the oleds on any fabric, whats special about it is that there are transparent oled films, and they run from 3v and upwards, on philips lighting solutions page you can see them used as interior lights.
So i thought that maybe someday IF the films price gets good wouldnt it be great to have a fully trasparent blade that sudently lights up with the color of your choise?

Goltar Bias
07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
That would be great and completely evenly lit the full length of the blade, saw the discovery channel special on them with the simulated room with the walls covered with it so you could change the color of the room with the flip of a switch.

Jedi-Loreen
07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Very interesting.

Now this is a thread that belongs in this section. ;)

Count Malik
07-24-2009, 01:24 PM
that would be so sick!:grin:

DJMoonbass
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
welcome to the new future of saber building!!!!!!!! i cant wait to see this hobby 30 years from now.

Azrael
07-24-2009, 08:58 PM
welcome to the new future of saber building!!!!!!!! i cant wait to see this hobby 30 years from now.

neither can i !! its a matter of innovation and waiting for the right moment to grab whatever is out there.

mihunai
07-25-2009, 11:30 AM
It would be awesome, but it all depends on how durable they are even IF they are durable enough, and just how bright they are.

oh well, "Patience, young Padawan" :P

mTm

DJMoonbass
07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
neither can i !! its a matter of innovation and waiting for the right moment to grab whatever is out there.

exactly!!!!!! and brilliant people who are dedicated to keep trying until they get it to work! dedication..... thats where its at 8)

Kal El Rah
07-26-2009, 02:03 AM
oled's have been around for some time as you stated about how and where they have been used so far. If and when they are able to withstand impacts is when we will be able to possibly use them for saber blades.

Rhyen Skytracker
07-26-2009, 12:37 PM
You may be able to put a silicone rubber tubing inside to protect it from the impacts. I have used some of this tubing as a diffuser and it would protect the film very well and also make it look like it has an inner core. Just a thought.

Kal El Rah
07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
That's a good idea Rhyen, thanks for the input.

Eco
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
oLeds have been around for a while, so it shouldn't be too much longer until they become more practical.

As for brightness, here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd99gyE4jCk

Kal El Rah
07-26-2009, 04:59 PM
nice find!

Eco
07-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks.
I remembered seeing that about two years ago on Discovery Channel, I think.

That'd be awesome if the oLEDs were precise enough that you could, say, hook up some A/V in/out leads and use your shirt as a TV!

Barmic Rin
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
You could get the blade travelling effect on them easily enough, should they withstand a beating in a blade....

Also, given the chance to get hold of one of those t-shirts, i'd just have a blue glowing circle on the chest, iron man style!!!

Eco
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
You could get the blade travelling effect on them easily enough, should they withstand a beating in a blade....

Also, given the chance to get hold of one of those t-shirts, i'd just have a blue glowing circle on the chest, iron man style!!!

Nice. 8)

cardcollector
07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
But could you wash them is the question...

wackogracko
08-16-2009, 03:20 AM
The biggest current issue with OLEDs is that they breakdown when exposed to things like oxygen and CO2, which in case you havent noticed, are kind of common on this planet and they are expensive to manufacture (which is a problem that can be solved). If you want to learn more, let me know, you can read my research paper I did for my Polymers Engineering grad class on them. They are waaay cool, and will most likely be as prevalent as LEDs are now in 10 or so years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlrzIxvS9w

Notice how the screen seems to "flicker"? thats because the entire screen is flapping or moving due to air currents (from a fan behind it presumably). The display is so thin it flaps like a sheet of paper in front of a fan. Ya, talk about light sabers, you could watch HDTV on your saber blade...

Amptrooper
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
The biggest current issue with OLEDs is that they breakdown when exposed to things like oxygen and CO2, which in case you havent noticed, are kind of common on this planet and they are expensive to manufacture (which is a problem that can be solved). If you want to learn more, let me know, you can read my research paper I did for my Polymers Engineering grad class on them. They are waaay cool, and will most likely be as prevalent as LEDs are now in 10 or so years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlrzIxvS9w

Notice how the screen seems to "flicker"? thats because the entire screen is flapping or moving due to air currents (from a fan behind it presumably). The display is so thin it flaps like a sheet of paper in front of a fan. Ya, talk about light sabers, you could watch HDTV on your saber blade...

WOW!!! That would make a great blade! You could do some amazing effects with that. How about the flame saber or lighting saber!
You could even watch the football game!

TimeRender
08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm curious. Have you posted that research paper online anywhere? I'd like to read it.

Rhyen Skytracker
08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Me too. I would like to read it as well.

wackogracko
08-16-2009, 11:27 PM
ya well ill try to post it somewhere on the web. It was just kind of an overview paper on OLEDs as they pertain to flat panel display technology, but it was a lot of fun to write. Its too big to attach to this post so ill have to find somewhere to host the file so you guys can DL it. When I have it up ill let you know