PDA

View Full Version : Gotham Knight saber parts list

gthmnyt2580
07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
So here's my breakdown for my Gotham Knight harware saber that will be mainly for display but also for occasional battle with my two toddlers and they're Force Action sabers: EDIT: changed a few things as well as posted a pic of the concept. I'm still deciding if i want to go the Hasbro sound route or the MR sound route. I just need to do a little more research if i go the MR route.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/gthmnyt2580/GthmnytSaber.jpg

Main Body:
- 1.5" x 12" sink tube
- TCSS 1.5" sink tube adapter
- TCSS screw on LED blade holder style 2
- other misc hardware pieces for decorative switches
- custom grips and shroud made from PVC pipe painted black
- D-ring or covertec / cell phone clip set up (still deciding)

Hilt Electronics:
- 1999 Qui-gon Jinn/AOTC Generic Jedi sound board (thanks to Jay-gon for ID-ing it) OR MR 2003 Vader board
- Red Lux 1 if i go the Hasbro route Red Lux III if i go the MR board route
- Corbin show blade - not sure about the length. I think my previous EL saber was 36". I'm 5'8"...any suggestions or preferences?
- 5 degree lens
- Lux I (for hasbro) or Lux III / V (for MR) Lens holder
- 4 AAA battery holder
- momentary switch or latching
- Red Accent LED to match the blade
- Accent LED holder
- Resistor for Accent LED (if needed)

I think that's everything....as mentioned before, i've built an EL saber already based off the tutorials here, but this is my first LED saber....any suggestions or advie would be greatly apprciated. Thanks

cannibal869
07-22-2009, 02:39 PM
In the comics, the cape was colored blue, but I think that's just because there wasn't enough definition in greys and blacks to be easily reproduced in print. (i.e. the movie Batman costumes have always been black).

That said, you could do either blue or red. The red would go well and mirror the color scheme of the Batman Beyond series (so red doesn't necessarily mean Sith). Or maybe blue blade with a red crystal? BTW, it would be pimp if you could somehow reference the bat symbol in a crystal chamber...

Anyhow, the list looks good so far. You don't really need a blade plug yet. I hear the red P4 isn't as good as the Red Lux III or Lux 0, but I haven't really tinkered with the reds yet. The blue P4 is supposed to be quite nice.

The blade length is your preference, but I like them around 34-36" myself and I'm the same height as you. (This is 32-34" of visible blade since about 2" goes into the blade holder).

Interested to see how this turns out!

gthmnyt2580
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
....The red would go well and mirror the color scheme of the Batman Beyond series (so red doesn't necessarily mean Sith). Or maybe blue blade with a red crystal? BTW, it would be pimp if you could somehow reference the bat symbol in a crystal chamber...

....I hear the red P4 isn't as good as the Red Lux III or Lux 0, but I haven't really tinkered with the reds yet. The blue P4 is supposed to be quite nice.

Interested to see how this turns out!

I was always fond of the red / black color scheme because of Batman Beyond...also, my previous motocycyle had black rims with red pinstripes...hehehe....I think i'll go with the red.

Its funny you were talking about the bat symbol in the crystal chamber...i have a spot in my hilt design is VERY bare right now, so i might just do that...hopefully i can properly cut something in in the PVC shroud with my dremel....we'll see. I'm going to try and clean up my design tonight in illustrator and hopefully i post them up tonight as well.

ok...so if i go red, i'll try out the Lux III

Thanks cannibal869

gthmnyt2580
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I added the concept and changed some parts on my list in the first post.

FenderBender
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I actually named this one the "Dark Knight" cause it had a Batman feel to it....

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/005-8.jpg http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/11-21-08045.jpg

cardcollector
08-04-2009, 12:05 PM
*gasp* woah!!!!

That render is exactly what Batman's lightsaber would've looked like

gthmnyt2580
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Definitely digging your design Fender.

cannibal869
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Definitely digging your design Fender.

Hmmm.. I actually kinda like your render better, gthmnyt2580
(no offense Fenderbender - your stuff for the most part kicks major sithass!)

gthmnyt2580
08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Hmmm.. I actually kinda like your render better, gthmnyt2580
(no offense Fenderbender - your stuff for the most part kicks major sithass!)

thanks cannibal. We'll see how it turns out. I just got my MHS sink tube adapter parts and the blade the other day and i should have my Lux III by tomorrow. Since i'm using the board from my 03 MR vader, i might just leave the stock switch and mount the switch assembly from the vader hilt instead. I just need to make sure i have room for the accent LED still...if not, the accent LED will have to be sacrificed.

galen marek
08-12-2009, 09:27 AM
gothamknights design is best suited as a batman saber in my opinion. fender has a killin sith deign though.

i think it would be kewl to make the forked section sort of into the bat ears from the bat symbol, that would look pretty effective.
and maybe you could make a little bat symbol shape so that when the blade isnt attached, just pop on your little bat symbol and project it on walls 'n stuffs, would be a nice little unique doodad.:mrgreen:

gthmnyt2580
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
gothamknights design is best suited as a batman saber in my opinion. fender has a killin sith deign though.

i think it would be kewl to make the forked section sort of into the bat ears from the bat symbol, that would look pretty effective.
and maybe you could make a little bat symbol shape so that when the blade isnt attached, just pop on your little bat symbol and project it on walls 'n stuffs, would be a nice little unique doodad.:mrgreen:

The bat-ears is definitely a good idea. I'm still working out the final measurements anyway and incorporating the vader switch box....i think i much just throw that in there. I REALLY want to do a batsymbol somewhere as well but unfortunately, i dont think i'll be able to get all that precise with the cheap Black and Decker rotary tool i have.

gthmnyt2580
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
with galen suggestion....i've redesigned the shroud to make it look a bit more Batman-esqe....i also included the vader switch assembly since i will be using that particular board....i'm still working out how i can project the batsymbol when the blade isnt attached...i have a few Batman flashlights that projected the symbol that i can try and take a part...we'll see....hopefully this sucker will built up in the next week or two.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/gthmnyt2580/GthmnytSaberV2-1.jpg

galen marek
08-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Yay! i helped! good luck gettin all the stuff you need, and i know how you feel about the tools, i just found out that i have to spend another 20$ on a cutting part for my dremel

-Drew

TrypWyr
09-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey there gthmnyt2580,

Amazing design, I can't wait to see it finished!

So I had to ask, what software do you use to create your concept images? They are really good.

Tryp

gthmnyt2580
09-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey there gthmnyt2580,

Amazing design, I can't wait to see it finished!

So I had to ask, what software do you use to create your concept images? They are really good.

Tryp

Thanks Tryp. I finished it a few weeks ago. You can see it here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8814

As per the program, I use Adobe Illustrator.

Raith
09-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Gotham knight, I love your designs... they are wicked sweet...
Fenderbender, your Dark Knight saber looks awesome.

and as per the discussion on blade color for the saber, yeah blue would work, but Batman was supposed to inspire fear, and no color does that better than the blazing red blade.