PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hi! Asking for some tips.

Kastor
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
First off, I would like to say hello to everyone in the forum!

I'm an aspiring art director for film and video games so naturally a lightsaber is one of those thing I just can't go through life without. I've been looking around at designs to find some inspiration for something I really like. Being a student I can't afford to build a lot of testers so I'm trying to get it right the first time. The trouble is the design style I like looks difficult to fabricate so I'm wondering if any one has some advice on how to fab a hilt of this kind.

Here are some references:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/Kastor_photo/Lightsaber_4_0_by_broodofevil.jpg
Credit to broodofevil

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/Kastor_photo/Lightsaber_4_0_w_Stand_by_broodofev.jpg
Credit to broodofevil

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/Kastor_photo/Lightsaber_v5_by_broodofevil.png
Credit to broodofevil

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/76/Sidiouslightsaberside.jpg
And of course Sidious' Electrum

I would really like to do it in metal but I might settle for a casting if I need to but if anyone as any ideas how to work these kinds of curves in metal that would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Kal El Rah
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Very nice renders:p, to your question, I have no idea.:?

Darth_DevilGuy
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
welcome!

now that that's outta the way, I have to tell you those are very advanced designs, I've been at this for about 1 1/2 years, I can see how to make that first one and I could source the materials, but I think it's still beyond my skill to do, getting it made would be minimum $400 no electronics.

The way to do it is simple, you freehand cut it from stock aluminum tube with a dremmel and various attachments, but developing that kind of skill will take alot of work and probably a fair amount of $$.

VeggieJedi
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome to TCSS and holy cow those are some fine designs! If you're very new to all this then maybe you should consider getting one of the master sabersmiths to make it for you, in exchange for some credits of course :D or you could maybe do it with a blend of MHS parts and sink tubes or am i being a bit optimistic there?

Good luck

Kastor
07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Hmm, Thanks for the notes. I thought it would be this way. I think one could pull off something close with sink tubes but it would loose that organic look unless I could find some way to bevel the edges and I think I would be scratching the finish too much if I used free hand. Well how would I contact on of these Sabersmiths to get an estimate?

Barmic Rin
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Hmm, Thanks for the notes. I thought it would be this way. I think one could pull off something close with sink tubes but it would loose that organic look unless I could find some way to bevel the edges and I think I would be scratching the finish too much if I used free hand. Well how would I contact on of these Sabersmiths to get an estimate?

Most of the bigger sabersmiths have links in their signatures, though soliciting then through these forums is frowned upon as they're attached to a store.

These would be very difficult designs to do, so they certainly won't be cheap.

Oh, and Welcome!!

$tarkiller
07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
for your first saber, I would reccomend doing a snktube, or MHS, but that would put any experienced sabersmith's skill to the limit.

Kastor
07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I've figured out the interior design which is very basic. I think really all I'll need is a sleeve which is where all the contours are. As I saw here.

Wow, I inspired another saber, huh? Cool! It looks good, I like the way you got the layered parts look done with all the other aluminum pieces. Just a little info about that though, is that look was achieved on my custom saber with a single piece of aluminum tubing that was machined on a lathe, and then on a cnc mill. It's all one piece, and you can see that in this pic:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/my_workbench.jpg
The Overtube or sleeve is on the left.

That being said perhaps if I out source only that it will be much cheaper. I could build the interior first and send it to the smith to work with while fabricating the sleeve. All that needs to be done are holes need to be cut and beveled, though that seems to be the hard part. I worry most about loosing the finish, are there any Tips anyone would have for how to regain a finish after all that dremel work? or perhaps how to give it a new finish? Powder coating perhaps?

$tarkiller
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
powder coating would be your best bet.

cannibal869
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
The first one is actually quite possible with MHS and a sink tube overlay.
The hardest part I can see about that first design (BTW, VERY nice designs!!) is the two pieces of metal that are near the emitter of the shroud. Not impossible, but difficult if you really want them angled out like that.

The second design I think would be more difficult to do and might require some kind of epoxie sculpt over a sink tube. Still doable, but you'd probably have to ask people who have already done work like that.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-22-2009, 11:26 PM
THAT my friend, is a very tough build. I am not sure that something quite that organic lookin can be done without casting it. Some of us can come close, but it may be significantly more work and money than you may think. I have heard through the grapevine that everyone can keep their eyes open for a sidious saber at some point in the next year or so.;)

Invisas1979
07-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I also think the first build would be easier to do. I also agree that it would need a shroud.

Looking at people to approach have a look at this link:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8518

This guy and his associates have another level of skill, where shrouds are concerned. You could have Tim custom make the pommel and the mainbody could just be basic no frills as well as the extension. The balde holder looks similar to this
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Screw-on-LED-blade-holder-style-6--P186.aspx and Tim could mill it so it fits in the shroud (if necessary)

The hard bit'll be the end emmiter shroud...... They could be two loose bits held by links and fixed with a grub screw on each peice.

Now just to let you know, last I looked the above saber was on ebay for over $800 only about £500 which if you only want one super awsome saber is probably worth it. I've currently spent over £400 in parts for different sabers, a couple of MR sabers that I've gutted and some custom work I'm having done for my twin sabers..... So, not so much more for what you're getting.

Jedi-Loreen
07-23-2009, 01:55 AM
First of all, Tim does not make custom parts, he will only customize existing MHS parts.

Secondly, do not approach anyone in the open forums about services, this is considered soliciting. You're not even supposed to use PMs for this, either.

Tim knows what the sabersmiths do, but this is his place, so be respectful.

Invisas1979
07-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Tim doesn't make shrouds or put together sabers, so I didn't see this as taking business away....

In regards to the pommel I wasn't clear; in my head I was thinking he could make it using TCSS pom 3 and 4, boring out and threading no 3 so, 4 could be screwed onto it. Customization was the word I was looking for.

Baring in mind that all the basic parts can be brought from and modified by Tim I didn't see that as soliciting, more like pointing out a saber and saying that's work on par with what you're talking about.

Either way, trying to be helpful and giving an opinion of how to something could be done.... It thought that was what this forum was about....parhaps not.

Apologies if my reply seemed dis-respectful to Tim, there was no dis-respect intended.

Kastor
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I believe I would be trying to build the first saber anyway. Additionally I personally don't care for that style of shroud. I would most likely just extend the sleeve to form a shroud that has a similar curve to it.

Now are people saying that I could use an MHS hilt part like #1

Perhaps, and I might have this custom machined, I could use a choke like #2

Then an emitter, say #6 (Thanks Invisas1979)

And Then use a sink tube Greater Than 1.5 for the Sleeve? Holes cut where the grip contuore, choke and Buttons are then beveled to give that organic look? I haven't seen sink tubes greater than 1.5 in that case?

Then with a custom machined pommel probably #8

OR-

The sink in place of the MHS Hilt #1 and the Hilt cut and beveled?

Sairon
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Both look doable if you have a good saber lathe/millist. But they will cost alot. The first design looks like it could be done with a mhs base (seven inch plain body, moded style five bladeholder, and some screws.) and a bit of custom machining on a larger sized tube, for the overlay and a pommel. As for a bigger sized sinktube, onlinemetals,com would be my best choice for a the right sides tube.

Kastor
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm now thinking about casting the outer tube in aluminum from a plaster cast. The master would be made in clay the great part about that is if I want to make a twin later I just need to use the same mold and cast again! This would be much cheaper and more accurate I think.

$tarkiller
07-29-2009, 07:41 AM
are you sure you want to dive in head-first with a blindfold on like this? I mean, this is a very complicated build to start off with. I would recommend going with MHS and sinktube overlay first to test the waters.

Kastor
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I have experience in casting for some reason I just didn't think about it's usefulness here. I've also talked to Tim who further explained the difficulty of cutting or machining this (especially by hand) so I no longer see that as an option. I am experienced in molding with sculpt so I have confidence in my ability to make a master. I was just not thinking I could cast in aluminum. The internal parts will still most likely be MHS or custom machined Aluminum tubing. So the Sleeve is really all that need be cast. I have a friend who has a torch and I have a handle forge, and a plaster cast will be made. All that needs to be done after is polishing work.

Jedi-Loreen
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Cool.

I have a friend who's been taking black smithing classes and he's currently building a forge and a building for it in his parent's large back yard.

He intends to try casting some aluminum lightsaber parts once he gets all set up and running.

cannibal869
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Man, Kastor I have to say you've got mad skillz.
I can't get that first design out of my head... It's so elegant, with just enough of a hint of alien-ness to make it exotic.

And I think it's more doable with a modified MHS style 3 bladeholder...
The pommel might be a slight challenge, but I think it's doable as well, with a combo of the MHS style 6 bladeholder and Style 4 pommel.
(Hey Tim, how about coming up with a pommel that already looks like this?)
The majority of the work actually is more about shroud cutting than anything else.

If it's ok with you, I might just give it a shot for the hell of it and see what I can come up with. The parts alone will cost over $200 to get from the store. It'll have to wait till after I move into my new house at the end of this month though... <sigh> Well, at least I'll have room for a proper shop area rather than having to use 1/2 of the small dining table I have - my fiancee will be soooo much happier once she gets back her dining table. :rolleyes:

I tried to PM you, but I don't think you've posted enough times to activate your PM. Your other designs on your website are also quite nice as well. You have a very good eye my friend. Glad to have you around!

-C

Kastor
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the comments on the design But they are not mine. :( even thought I am an art director I can't take credit. They where designed by 'broodofevil' I found them on deviantart.com I think I might be trying to design another one of my own to do using that one as an inspiration. Right now I'm getting used to casting in Aluminum with some success! I think I will cast in plastic first to make sure everything goes well and then I will use the plastic as a master for the sand cast that will make the Aluminum final.

cannibal869
08-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the comments on the design But they are not mine. :( even thought I am an art director I can't take credit. They where designed by 'broodofevil' I found them on deviantart.com I think I might be trying to design another one of my own to do using that one as an inspiration. Right now I'm getting used to casting in Aluminum with some success! I think I will cast in plastic first to make sure everything goes well and then I will use the plastic as a master for the sand cast that will make the Aluminum final.

Whoa, cool - post up pics and let us know how the process goes - you might just start a whole new method of saber-building!