PDA

View Full Version : Lightscourge...?

Maven
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I have seen to many many posts about Lightwhips... and they seem to be POSSIBLE, but not overly practical...

What about if you wanted to have 6-9 2 ft. "Whips?" I was looking on the internet for some form of fan shapped multi-mono plug... or some way of fitting multiple EL wires (possibly wrapped in some ort of tubing...)

Essintially... I'm trying to make a Light-Scourge... Or Light-Flogger... Or Light Cat-o-nine-tails... Those who don't know, i have posted a picture of about what i am talking about... OBVIOUSLY i would want a Lightsaber style handle... but the picture is just for example...

I was also thinking about sandwiching sheets of EL between White cloth... or maybe EL tape ( or maybe several rows of EL wire...)

Does anyone have any ideas, know what i am talking about, or pictures?

Also, very important, i do intend to hit something with this... alot. so it needs to be study, yet not TOO painful.

I dont care how long the handle is... to a point, (2 foot handle is no big deal)

I briefly mentioned this idea in a post about EL wire... but i was looking to find out about the durability/flexibility of things like side view fiber optics...

I have alot of drawings... but they dont scan well, and i need some one to bounce ideas off of. Thanks!!!

Jedi-Loreen
07-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Dude.......

What the hell are you into? :confused:

Maybe you should just get some EL wire and an inverter an play with it, a minimal investment to see if your idea will even work. EL tape and sheet can't take much lateral bending. The phosphorus starts flaking off and it can also start shorting. Wire is probably going to be your best bet.

I'm out of suggestions. I think it's a weird idea and I've never seen anyone do it.

Darth Abominor
07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Hehe, not that odd an idea if he's putting a LightFlogger together for club shows, adult cyber events, etc.. but I was once a club kid, so I guess I am biased. :rolleyes:

And I actually saw one, a number of years ago (2001?) here in a NYC club that was hosting an adult film event. The flogger had 12-14 tails, reasonably thick wired, and was indeed made of EL Wire. I never had a chance to speak with it's user/owner as they were a stage group and never moved among the audience.

JL is right and you should get a simple invert/wire setup and mess around with hit.. see where it leads. Good luck and let us know what you find out in your experiements.

*side note* Just do keep in mind, this was, and should only be used, as a show piece. Any use of a LightFlogger made of EL Wire would shred human skin very easily as the wire will want to 'cling' to the flesh as it sides over it. Just a warning.

Jedi-Loreen
07-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think short lengths of EL wire are heavy enough to damage flesh.

I'd be more worried about damaging the connections to the inverter.

cannibal869
07-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Dude.......

What the hell are you into? :confused:

LOL...:lol:

Jedi-Loreen
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I was just yanking his chain, so-to-speak, with that question. :p

Darth_DevilGuy
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
actually the lightwhip gravy made looks pretty tough, I bet the design could be adapted, he used some sort of clear plastic tubing to protect the EL wire.

Jedi-Loreen
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
EL wire itself pretty tough on the outside, it has an inner and outer sheath over it.

What is not tough are the 2 fine wires inside that spiral around the outside of the phosphorous coating, they can break easily and if one of the 2 of those breaks, that EL wire won't glow anymore, till you cut off the bad piece, re-strip it and re-solder the unbroken wires.

When making EL blades, filling the connector with hot glue or silicone helps with that, but I don't know how you would do that for multiple wires.

draftnbyu
07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
]Dude.......

What the hell are you into?

i laughed so hard, i started crying. great reply!!!!!!

Count Malik
07-22-2009, 12:17 AM
J-Lo that made my day! lol:D But anyways it seems kinda funky.:-P... In a cool way though.

Jedi-Loreen
07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't even know why this thread is in this section. :confused:

Master Schyler
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
you should look into fiber optic lighting.

Here is a schematic.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Fiberexample.jpg

also an example of what it might look like.... as you can see its pretty flexible

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/GLOWPIC.JPG

and here is the website that i did my research on.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/

Barmic Rin
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
This does need moving, and I think it's a bad idea.

It'll be cool to look at, but if you take it to a convention, someone WILL get too close and get hit, no matter how good your intentions are when using it in a crowd....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnY_HUqTgiA

Ghostbat
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I have faced a 'lightwhip' at one of the big burning man saber fights and I can attest that they are dangerous and really really painful!

EL Wire is a nasty material when traveling at those speeds. A great deal of care should be exorcised when using such a thing.

Sairon
07-29-2009, 04:44 PM
You would wonder if it would even be allowed at a convention.

Maven
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
LOL... wow, ok no... when i said "plan on hitting people with it... i meant like deuling with it, scourges are very useful at grabing round objects, like lightsabers.

And Thanks for some of the hints!! i have been looking into it, and becuase of J-lo's advice i do have a peice of EL wire that i have been playing with... and yeah, it hurts... alot.... i'm thinking of putting some sort of soft ball at the end...

And feel free to move this post if necessary! i was un-sure when i posted it if this was the right spot... So yeah... Move away, moderator!!

Novastar
08-04-2009, 02:23 AM
While on the subject of "whip-like" weapons, I hope everyone understands that the reason a bullwhip makes that "cracking" sound... is that the very tiniest portion of the end of the whip... breaks the sound barrier when it's used properly. They are certainly the first man-made tool that ever broke such a barrier. YES, it's true. Look it up if you like, and if someone/something tells you otherwise... it's just plain incorrect.

Now... this does NOT refer to certain "stage whips" that are made specially to "crack" with a small and simple flick of the wrist. Those are meant to make the noise without much effort nor a ton of danger.

So... all that being said--yes... whip-like weapons can be powerful melee weapons. They are EXTREMELY dangerous, and I simply want everyone to exercise GREAT CAUTION when using anything even AKIN to a "real whip".

It's rare to effect any permanent damage to someone with them... but you CAN break the skin if it's a true whip... and if you get hit in vital areas (throat, eyes, mouth, genitals)... you're in some serious trouble.

//end slight thread de-railment

psab keel
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Well being an Indy fan and costumer myself, and seeing as I own several real whips, yes I can attest to the fact that they can be EXTREMELY dangerous. Anything moving faster than the speed of sound hitting you will do damage. It will break bone, cut through clothing, and can slice skin open like a razor. Novastar is correct. You must exercise great caution!

Maven
08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
O_O

Wow... your right, but hopefully as the 2ft length well wrapped cords will using 9 lenths of 2ft wire... i;m still drawing out the wiring diagram!!!

Barmic Rin
08-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I still see cuts and/or lost eyes.....

Sairon
08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I guess as it's not getting flailed like crazy it should be okay, but still exercise extreme caution.

Revan
08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I was just yanking his chain, so-to-speak, with that question. :p

lmao you WOULD be the one yanking the chain wouldn't you Lori ;)

Jedi-Loreen
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I meant that figuratively, not literally! lol :lol:

Pullo
08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Whips are made out of leather because it is more rigid than a similar sized length of rope. This gives more control to the user making it more effective in it's intended job, however the leather is well oiled to give it more flex than a untouched strip of leather would. Also the leather tapers from the handle in diameter, again this lends itself to more control for the user while the smaller end gets more and more flexible. It will be hard to get the balance between firmness and flexibility with a plastic, if you want it soft enough to wrap around someones blade in a duel then it would not be easy to control.
On a side note I have never really understood the idea of a Light whip or such, unbelievable as a lightsaber may seem I can understand the principle of a plasma source going in a straight line to make a blade but a free flowing plasma whip nnnhhh well that my opinion anyways.