PDA

View Full Version : First weathered saber by Rhyen Skytracker

Rhyen Skytracker
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Here is my first attempt at a weathered saber. First I made random attacks on it with the Dremel with different accessories. I roughed up the emitter and pommel pretty good so simulate lots of use and saber attacks. After the battle with the Dremel tool, I used aluminum black, it is a chemical agent that weathers aluminum. I put it on pretty thick, I wanted the gashes and scratches to be dark black, then I used very fine steel wool and gently buffed it in places all around the hilt to lighten it up some. I think it turned out very well. The saber has an older economy hasbro sound card and a green CREE LED. OK, are you ready for another episode of Redneck Sabervision?

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/Weathered%20Saber/th_100_1001.jpg (http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/Weathered%20Saber/?action=view&current=100_1001.flv)

ARKM
07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice weathering job.

Kal El Rah
07-19-2009, 11:54 AM
That looks great Rhyen :shock:, giving away your weathering secrets:rolleyes:

Rhyen Skytracker
07-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I figured I would help the n00bs out some. This was my first weathering job, so whos to say I don't do it different next time. Plus, I have some different secret sauce on the way.

JediMasterDak
07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Awesome Rhyen!!! Looks like it's seen some combat for sure!!! :D:D:D

Vazan Maceu
07-19-2009, 01:44 PM
It sure looks like it has spent some time on the field. Good work Redneck 1 :)

Master Schyler
07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Awesome Job! I love all the weathered saber pics Ive been seeing!

Lord Dottore Matto
07-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Good 1st. attempt Rhyen, BTW there is another board in the package (total of 3) which is on the way tomorrow.;)

Jedi-Loreen
07-20-2009, 01:16 AM
It's a decent first attempt at weathering, but it's by no means great. But that's just my opinion. I've gotten pretty good over the years at weathering props and helmets, leather work and some armor. From what I've seen, I'm better at it than most people I know personally, after having seen what they do in person.

I think you need more practice and need to develop an artistic eye for it. It's not as easy to do and make it really look good as people think it is. And sure, I've done some pretty amateurish looking weathering on my first tries. I have some early pieces that make me either laugh, or cringe. :oops:

Give more thought to where weathering would naturally occur, where the dirtiness would be worn shiny from much handling and use. Where the hilt and emitter would be scratched from being carried on a belt for years. Or on a saber that has lain forgotten and buried, or lying in a dusty corner, unused for years.

Parts of your saber look too random (I really don't like seeing the skipping your spinning dremel bits did), and some looks too planned out (like that X on the emitter). :rolleyes:

It takes practice, like anything else does.

thejedilestat
07-20-2009, 04:09 AM
when i think weathered saber i think something droped in a cement mixer with rocks dirt and glass... and what you did was good

cardcollector
07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Great job! I like that you kept it simple.

That sounds like a 1999 Qui-gonn board. Is it?
I know you said economy, but I have one and its good to hear what it will sound like in a saber.

Misael
07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Yet another great job Rhyen. I like it! Thank you very much for sharing your new creation.

---------------------------------------------

May the Force be with you... always.

Sairon
07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
looks cool, although the weathering looks kinda overdone, but thats just me.

Rhyen Skytracker
07-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I was going for a saber that was lost and buried in the ruins of an Ancient City that was burned to the ground and found hundreds of years later look. I wanted my first attempt to be medium to heavy weathering to see how the chemical reacts and see what options I have to rough it up and see how different methods work. Next time I will make sure the dremel does not skip. My next attempt at weathering will be an even light weathering on the whole saber and no dremel attacks on it. It relieved alot of stress attacking the hilt with the Dremel like that.

$tarkiller
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Oh, thats not weathering. Thats just the dirty hands of a redneck touching something, lol.

thejedilestat
07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh, thats not weathering. Thats just the dirty hands of a redneck touching something, lol.

not all rednecks are dirty... i used to date a real purdy one :p