PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating and anodizing

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Can powdercoating be applied over anodized parts with the anodizing left intact or does anodizing need to be stripped off first?

I'm wondering if coloured powdercoating could be applied over coloured anodizing of the same colour so that maybe scratches wouldnt show or at least not as much?

Jagahati
07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Not sure what you are trying to do here but PC itself is tough stuff.

Secondly I see no reason why you couldn't get PC to work over an anodized finish. You could probably do an anodized finish and use clear or translucent powder coat over it.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Someone said the "super wet black" shows scratches more than the "flat solar black" so it occured to me that if you could have black anodizing done first then "super wet black" over that any scratches would reveal black anodizing not silver metal underneath and thus be less apparent...that's why I asked.

Jagahati
07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
The very high gloss colors do indeed show some scratching. For the most part this has to do with the chemistry of the powder itself. The way tbose super gloss colors work is that as they cure the powder basicaly forms it's own clear-coat. this clear coat is what makes it super reflective and also what makes it easy to see small imperfections.

The scratches seen on those super gloss colors are very very rarely all the way through the powder coat they are just suface scratches in the clear coat.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Jagahati now that I understand that I can see that my 'brilliant solution' was to a misunderstanding of the 'problem' and therefore wouldnt have worked anyway...you've saved me some $ experimenting so Merci Beaucoup amigo.

Tarragon Rill
09-13-2010, 11:16 PM
However keep in mind one thing. you can make some very cool aesthetics by anodizing the object then using a masked PC leave the anodizing intact in the masked areas. giving not only a color variance but a textural variance as well. Maybe, lol I have never tried to have a masked PC layer applied over an anodized object, but ya it could make an interesitng finish.

EDIT** ya I know, old post. but just incase another new person is reading all this trying to figure out as i am what we can do with this. it may be interesting for them.

Ronan
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
If your anodizing is showing scratches, then its a thin anodizing.

Get it re-adonized thicker. Personally i like mil spec III anodizing.