PDA

View Full Version : Buckpuck or resistor?

DrakoniamX
07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm going to be using a Red/Orange Lux III which is needs 1400mA. For people who have had experiences, should i use 2 700mA buckpucks, or a 2.2ohm 5w resistor? And why?

Jay-gon Jinn
07-14-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd use the resistor, but that's just me....two buck pucks adds $30 to the cost of the build....one resistor is only $0.66.

DrakoniamX
07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea i would do the same, i just wasnt sure if the buckpucks were better or not, thanks!! I'd go with your word since you've build so many sabers

lectricpharaoh
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
It may be possible to use a 500mA micropuck and a 1000mA buckpuck. I'm not sure if the mixing of different outputs would cause a problem when wiring the pucks in parallel, but if it works, it would give you an output current of 1500mA, instead of 1400. Since the Lux in question has a max drive current of 1540mA, this would get you closer to the maximum brightness.

Again, I am not sure it is safe to wire differently-rated pucks together, so do some research before trying this, or get the opinion of someone with a bit more electronics savvy.

Oh, another reason to take this approach (assuming it's workable) is that a micropuck is a little cheaper. Unfortunately, they're not offered on Tim's store (probably because they're used mainly for Lux Star I LEDs, which aren't as bright as many would like), but Google is your friend.

DrakoniamX
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
The lux im using has a max output of 1400. And i'm just going to use a resistor but thanks!! And mods can close this because i've found my answer, thanks!!!

Sairon
07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Most leds can take more than they need, it's called overdriving. Even with overdriving an led can last well over twenty years if it doesn't blow up for some reason.

vargose
07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Just use a resistor. Much cheaper option. I only use buck pucks for 1000ma LEDs.

Dendore
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Why would the amperage of the LED matter? So that you are closer to max amps on the LED for best brightness? If you get a resistor that gives you roughly the same amperage as the buckpuck is there a difference? More efficient? If so, how much longer would 4 AAA batteries last on a buckpuck vs a resistor?

Kal El Rah
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Dendore, the puck keeps the current constant till the batts are almost depleted.

Amanita
08-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm looking to build a new saber, using a Seoul P4 white LED. Would it be worth my while to use a Buckpuck to increase brightness? Which size should I use? Or will I get the same brightness with a resistor?

I want to increase the brightness some- I have a garden-variety lux III blue saber that I built some time ago using a TCSS electronics kit, and in terms of brightness it lags behind my guardian blue Ultrasabers Liberator.
So is it worth the extra 15 bucks for a buckpuck, or will simply using a Seoul P4 give me the extra brightness I need?

mihunai
08-09-2009, 11:51 AM
The increase in brightness you should get will be more because of the Seoul than the switch to buckpuck. As far as resistor or buckpuck goes, go for the buckpuck. they are more efficient and more flexible. The buckpuck will keep the current the same within the entire range of voltages it can handle, while a resistor changes the current according to the voltage, which will change because the battery goes empty.

So, in other words, just get the buckpucks for your Seoul P4. Its worth it.

mTm