PDA

View Full Version : Check it out, it's another sabre-making newbie!

lectricpharaoh
07-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Hello, everyone. I'll try to keep this brief (I'm usually quite verbose), as I have to get up for work in less than four hours. :)

Anyways, I'm from Canada, eh, and I've long had a fascination with swords, though I don't own any. I've also got a fondness for colored lights, especially the attention-getting ones in the middle of darkness, and I figured the two interests would dovetail nicely. Remembering reading about Luxeon-based sabres some time ago, I decided to look them up again. After a bit of searching, I came upon the Ultrasabers site, and was on the verge of purchasing one of the less-expensive sabres there (it will be my first, after all). Still, I couldn't quite bring myself to do it, as nothing in the E-series really caught my eye. However, I did see references to 'TCSS' on the store and in the forums, and it popped up enough that I looked it up to see what it stood for. As soon as I found this place, I knew I'd be able to (eventually) get a sabre I'd be happy with, and one that I could truly feel was my own.

Still, although I have a few ideas of what I'd like to try, I don't think I'm going to try in metal for my first attempt or two. I'll probably just grab a few buckpucks, some Lux IIIs, and other innards, along with a couple of blades, and go the PVC route. In particular, there's a couple of coupler ideas (pun intentional) I have in mind to transform two sabres into a double-bladed staff. Hopefully these ideas haven't been tried, and I can bring something new to the forums. Anyways, as PVC is a lot easier to work than aluminum, this will let me do the proof-of-concept stuff in a much cheaper medium, and then I can move on to metal when I've got the hang of things.

Speaking of a cheaper medium, this does raise a question: For those of you with a girlfriend or boyfriend, how does your better half react to you spending hundreds of dollars on 'glorified flashlights'? C'mon, people, I could really use some plausible excuses. I can feel a nagging- err, a disturbance- in the force coming on. :/

Thaxos
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the site! Glad you have done your research and that sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to seeing these ideas you have come to fruition!
Whereabouts in Canada, my fellow igloo dweller? ;)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey, another Canadian! I think that brings us up to, what, five or six? Welcome!

I find it helps if you can do a little side work to bring in extra cash for saber building, instead of pulling it out of your regular budget. When I was starting, I sold most of my collection of novelty neck ties on Ebay to make the money I needed to buy saber parts.

cardcollector
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Some people also make PVC sabers for aouround $40 then sell them on ebay for $70-$80.

You will definately want to watch your money! Lightsaber making is $$$$$$:D

Sairon
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Speaking of a cheaper medium, this does raise a question: For those of you with a girlfriend or boyfriend, how does your better half react to you spending hundreds of dollars on 'glorified flashlights'? C'mon, people, I could really use some plausible excuses. I can feel a nagging- err, a disturbance- in the force coming on. :/

Hey another Canadian eh? As for an excuse you could say "it surves many purposes such as, key finder, flash light, ect, they actualy do serve purposes."

lectricpharaoh
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the site! Glad you have done your research and that sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to seeing these ideas you have come to fruition!Well, I haven't done a lot of research yet, but I am one of those people who learns by doing. I tend to consider what I want to do, plan out to the best of my ability (including trying to anticipate any problems, and have some kind of contingency plan), and then dive right in. For example, I'm a novice when it comes to electrical work, but that didn't stop me from disassembling my netbook and soldering in the guts from a USB Bluetooth dongle to give it intregal Bluetooth (and yes, I was successful). However, I made sure that I had the materials (desoldering braid, in this case) and knowledge to revert back to an unmodded state so I didn't feel I was unduly risking the machine.

Whereabouts in Canada, my fellow igloo dweller? ;)I'm in the (usually wet) southwest coast, on the mainland.

Hey, another Canadian! I think that brings us up to, what, five or six? Welcome!Thanks. :)

I find it helps if you can do a little side work to bring in extra cash for saber building, instead of pulling it out of your regular budget. When I was starting, I sold most of my collection of novelty neck ties on Ebay to make the money I needed to buy saber parts.Yes, from what I can see, it does look like it can quickly become an expensive hobby. I was sort of there with Magic: The Gathering in the first few years of its existence, so I know about the urge to expand your collection 'just a little bit more'. :)

Some people also make PVC sabers for aouround $40 then sell them on ebay for $70-$80.That's actually a pretty good idea. The thought (of building and selling, not necessarily focusing on PVC sabres) had crossed my mind. Of course, before I attempt something like that, I'd need to develop some skills. I've seen some of the pictures posted around here, and some are pretty damn impressive. Plus, there are already other established retailers offering PVC sabres at fairly low prices, so it's probably not something I'd do for a while. However, if my first few attempts turn out well enough, and there is interest among people I know, then it's possible I might do casual building for friends and such; still, that's a ways off.

Hey another Canadian eh?Yup. Soon there'll be enough of us to stage a coup!

As for an excuse you could say "it surves many purposes such as, key finder, flash light, ect, they actualy do serve purposes."Maybe I'll direct her to this article (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm). The fourth page (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber3.htm)where they describe the multitude of uses for a sabre is quite amusing, and I do enjoy a good toasted bagel with cream cheese. :)

Since I've seen replies from three other Canadians so far, and I'm assuming you guys have previously bought from TCSS, roughly how long did it take before you received your parts? I'm only asking because I'm curious to know if I'll be able to complete my first sabre before some fireworks that are happening in a few weeks, as having it then would be exceedingly cool. No worries if I don't, though.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
roughly how long did it take before you received your parts?

For me, it's usually about a week. If you're on the west coast, it will probably be quicker, since TCSS ships out of the Seattle area.

Kal El Rah
07-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the best place in town, or should I say the Galaxy for all you Saber needs. Relax, read and enjoy our wonderful community.8)

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm in the GTA and it seems to fairly consistently take me 3 weeks to get any shipments from the US...not just saber parts from TCSS...meanwhile others in less central areas of the country can get shipments from the US in half the time...huh? go figure...

Anyway welcome aboard!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Really? That's weird.

The only time I've had an order from TCSS take much more than a week was the one time my package got hung up at customs in Vancouver for 9 days. Total time in transit was still less than two weeks. I would have thought that the mail would go to Toronto first, then make it's way out here to the outer fringes of civilization.

Thaxos
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Really? That's weird.

The only time I've had an order from TCSS take much more than a week was the one time my package got hung up at customs in Vancouver for 9 days. Total time in transit was still less than two weeks. I would have thought that the mail would go to Toronto first, then make it's way out here to the outer fringes of civilization.

Yeah, my order had gotten stuck in Vancouver for 5 days

$tarkiller
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
stinks for you guys! :cool: