PDA

View Full Version : LED question

iainm
11-26-2005, 06:15 AM
What are the specifics for the LEDs? Here in Turkey you can buy 3mm or 10 mm LEDs and even star-shaped LEDs in various colours (excuse the spelling but I'm British). No mention of wattage, ohms, voltage whatever. These terms are alien to me, anyway because I was always hopeless at electronics and stuff so bear with me. In the tutorial is that star-shaped thing that you put the LED onto the heatsink? I bought a 10mm and a 3mm red LED for my saber (still under construction) thinking that the 10mm would do for the blade and the 3mm would be ideal for lighting up the inside and just looking cool. As I understand it different colour LEDs require different sized resistors because they all draw power at a different rate. What size batteries would you recommend, what size resistors (please tell me watts and ohms). What does an inverter do? If I can't find the Turkish word for it I need to explain what it does when I go looking for one. Do they come in different sizes? If so, what would you recommend in terms of watts, ohms etc?

Duct Tape is like the Force: it has a dark side, a light side, and it binds everything together.

informalmyx
11-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Inverter conerts the Direct Current(DC) electricty( batteries ) to Alternating Current (aC) like what comes though your walls

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

vadeblade
11-27-2005, 05:23 PM
iainm,
Inverters (described by informalmyx) are not for LED applications. Inverters are for electroluminescent (EL) wires.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."