PDA

View Full Version : Bladeholder 11 retention screw question

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-06-2009, 09:55 PM
On the Bladeholder 11 pictures I've seen it appears the 'rings' of holes of diminishing size go ALL the way around and there doesnt look like there is a lot of material anywhere between them to drill a new hole for a retention screw...so how does one put a blade retention screw in it?

I'm guessing that maybe one 'ring' of holes might be the same diameter as one or another of the normal retention screws [8/32, 10/32] and thus might only need to be tapped?

IF so which ring of holes iand which tap should I get to be able to put a blade retention screw in it?

Or am I misunderstanding BH 11 entirely?

cardcollector
07-07-2009, 06:52 AM
since it already has a bunch of holes in it why not not add one more???

I haven't personally used this BH but that's what I would do.

I also searched "swiss cheese" and found one saber that uses BH 11. LDM built it so you know it works!!!
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6039&highlight=swiss+cheese

acerocket
07-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I don't think any of the holes are suited for tapping a thread through. Possibly the holes nearest the opening as they are the smallest (about .15" diameter) but I haven't tried it. Besides, the material thickness is pretty thin there so I doubt tapping one of those holes would work well. I think the best solution for this blade holder is to drill for a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw. I don't think a regular blade holding screw would look so well against the taper of these style bladeholders. You could easily get a 8-32 screw tapped into this bladeholder between some of the largest holes. Might take a little looking to see where the most 'meat' is to drill through but it can be done.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Thank you both...so I was indeed misunderstanding it...hoist on my own assumptions lol.

DOH on me I should have searched "swiss cheese" - it does look like that!

Well now I know what to do with one so thanks again. :)

Jasten Skywalker
07-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Here's where I mounted mine. It's right above the shroud, near the back of the bh.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/devvinband/2009-07-01105020-1.jpg

Titoshi
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
a 10/32 screw may work in one of the larger holes.

acerocket
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
a 10/32 screw may work in one of the larger holes.

I take it you don't have one of these bladeholders. A 10-32 screw might fit in one of the smallest holes (10-32 needs a .159 hole drilled for the tap) and the smallest holes are about .15" as I mentioned earlier. But as I also mentioned before, the thickness of the holder is pretty thin at the row of small holes - less than 1/8" - so you are not going to get much bite on the blade without stripping out the hole. I checked my bladeholder and a 10-32 screw passes right through any of the other holes.