PDA

View Full Version : My first MHS - Short hilt, no name

Darth Mintcakes
06-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Here is my first MHS saber:

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad230/Mike_Vande_Bunt/SaberBuilder_render_No1.png

I really like the combination of the curved choke section and the number 11 blade holder. The hilt is fairly short because I used a 5 inch ribbed extension in place of a main body. The guarded switch is mounted in the pommel.

The electronics is a royal blue lux 3, buck puck, and 4xAAA battery holder. No sound

I put some photos of the completed build in the gallery:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showpost.php?p=137383&postcount=132

Vazan Maceu
06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Not particularly a fan of that blade holder, but the overall design looks very comfortable to wield. Your hilt is nice as it is, and it would look even better with some detailing/customizing on your part, any plans on that?

And, congratulations on putting together your first MHS! :-)

Darth Mintcakes
06-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I just got it assembled yesterday, and it does still need work. It needs polishing at a minimum, and I'm going to do something with the grooves in the grip eventually.

If I can locate some rubber cord the right diameter I will glue that into the grooves for a nice comfortable grip. If not, I'll just put paint in the grooves for contrast. (I decided to not have the part powder coated for my first attempt; if the paint wears out of the grooves, that's just "character"...)

The grip is actually more comfortable than you might expect. I tried to keep the lines smooth and simple, as if it were meant to be a 'pocket' lightsaber. (Well, more of a hidden-in-the-sleeve-of-a-Jedi-robe lightsaber.)

Jedi-Loreen
06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
That saber doesn't look that short to me.

I'm no fan of the "swiss cheese" blade holder, either. The curved choke looks nice with it though and it does look very comfy to hold.

beggarsoutpost
06-30-2009, 11:33 AM
It has a nice flow... and I don't think it's that short either...... I'm working on a build using most of the same parts right now different emitter though...

Barmic Rin
06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Again, not a fan of that blade holder, though it's a very smooth looking hilt. I'd powdercoat the grooves, and really buff the rest up sometihng chronic!!! That hilt deserves to be ultra polished!!!

And it's nice to see a new Darth on here that reads before posting, and has work to show for his research!

Congrats dude!

JediMasterDak
06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks awesome!!:o:o:o:o:o

Darth Mintcakes
06-30-2009, 05:03 PM
And it's nice to see a new Darth on here that reads before posting, and has work to show for his research!

Read before posting... Read before posting... Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, it's on every sticky and nearly every thread on the forum.

And still the noobs manage to fail to understand it!

It'll probably end up with shiny black in the grooves and a polish so bright it'll hurt your eyes to look at it. (Oh, so that's what those little cottony things are for that came with the Dremel tool...)

To those who say it's not that short: Well, it's two inches shorter than it would be if I had used a 'standard' length main body. Someday I may make a lightdagger from a 3" extension and a pair of trustfires...

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
I kinda like that bladeholder with the curved choke...never thought of that combo...interesting...

Invisas1979
07-01-2009, 06:30 AM
The build looks far better than the saber builder pic. I think it flows quite nicely and the holder is good as it allows for a nice light effect.

Good build. Real shame it doesn't have sound. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you had a MR board you'd not need the buck puck to run the led, then you might be able to get sound. It may not be as bright but....
Then you could reverse mount the speaker and put some holes in the choke.

I've just wired up a MR Vader to a green lux 3 and it lights up nicely. I fooked the speaker tho so waiting for a replacement. Woopsie.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
***LDM claps for the not-so-noobish new guy****

JediTom
07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Very nice saber.

Rhyen Skytracker
07-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Great job. I really like those blade holders. They look great in person.

Obi-Ben
07-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Very nice, simple and elegant. I really like the switch on the pommel. I don't think you need to polish or powdercoat it.

Lord Preston
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I like it, it looks simple and effective.

Darth Mintcakes
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Good build. Real shame it doesn't have sound. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you had a MR board you'd not need the buck puck to run the led, then you might be able to get sound. It may not be as bright but....
Then you could reverse mount the speaker and put some holes in the choke.

If the US 2.1 boards ever come into stock ;) I may add sound (I built it for dueling; you don't really have time to listen to the sounds...) but the problem is fitting the speaker. The speaker holders that Tim stocks won't fit in the ribbed main body. (Maybe a couple of o-rings of the right diameter... I think the speaker itself will fit.) I do like the idea of putting the sound holes in the choke section -- it will both look cool and continue the design element of the pierced blade holder.

I am, naturally, working on another (different) design that will include sound.

{edit} I just realized that the o-ring idea, though though it would hold the speaker in place, would not allow space for the wires to the LED... This is a problem caused by the switch being in the pommel. I would have to mount the speaker at a right angle and fabricate a small resonant chamber (very important for the sound) for the backside of the speaker. The direction the speaker faces isn't that important as long as the sound can get from the speaker to the sound holes in the choke section.