PDA

View Full Version : Are belts Necessary?

Darth_Shadox
06-27-2009, 11:57 AM
My first question is: Are belts necessary? After thousands of years, why have the Jedi and Sith not figured out better ways to carry their gear? Granted, Mando's just build it into their armor or contrive some spring/gas powered mechanism of death to launch an array of awesomness, but why have the Jedi and Sith ignored such technologies? Is it for the sake of simplicity? Why not cargo pants or an assault style vest or tunic with attachments for gear?

If there are armored Jedi, what is the difference between an armored Jedi and an Armored Jedi that straps gear to him or herself in lieu of wearing it on a belt? Just pondering my cosplay possibilities.

sithlordfaust
06-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I would venture a guess at it being monastic simplicity.
and as far as cosplay possibilities.
with the new Jedi Collective group you can do what ever your imagination wants as far as securing you saber to carry
and of course if your not gonna be in a group
but for the Rebel Legion you HAVE to have a belt
and mandos still have belts

Darth_Shadox
06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Which is what I don't understand. Why must one have a belt? Simply for canon's sake? It is perhaps the reason I find more affiliation with the Sith. We don't care about looks as much as brutal efficiency.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

DS

sithlordfaust
06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
yes you HAVE to be canon to be in RL.

too bad there isnt a Sith costuming group that let you do your own thing. unfortunatley to be in the 501st as a sith you have to be one from either film,books, or games there are no non-canon or generic sith allowed, whereas the RL has generic Jedi

Darth_Shadox
06-27-2009, 01:22 PM

too bad there isnt a Sith costuming group that let you do your own thing. unfortunatley to be in the 501st as a sith you have to be one from either film,books, or games there are no non-canon or generic sith allowed, whereas the RL has generic Jedi

hmm....maybe there should be....maybe there will be.

Angelus Lupus
06-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Why a belt? Gives you something to hang your lightsaber from.

sekrogue1985
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
belts are necessary because how else would you hold up your pants, keep all your fancy jedi gadgets, hang your lightsaber from, and belt those jedi younglings that begin to stray to the dark side...wait that last one ain't to jedi like...lolz ;P

Lord Maul
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Which is what I don't understand. Why must one have a belt? Simply for canon's sake? It is perhaps the reason I find more affiliation with the Sith. We don't care about looks as much as brutal efficiency.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

DS

The Sith wore belts as well. They are black, like the robes, so they blend in, but the belt is always there.

Belts are just convenient, Cargo pants are annoying to wear when the pockets are full. Belts allow for maximum movement since they are in a non-obtrusive location.

Darth Cipher
06-27-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah i dont know if you've ever worn a combat vest...but i find it restricting for broad movements, i wear one when i play paintball...and plus if you go upside down at all it would slip and fall off. belts are nice.

TimeRender
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Granted, Mando's just build it into their armor or contrive some spring/gas powered mechanism of death to launch an array of awesomness

I'm an OT purest, so in my mind there is only one mandolorian anyway, and Boba wore a belt.

Barmic Rin
06-28-2009, 04:37 AM

There's already talk of a non canon sith group in the works. Unfortunately, most 'Darth's & 'Lord's come up with costumes as 'interesting' as a tie pilot helmet and an anorak, so most other fans would prefer to be in a costuming group where there is some form of standards, hence all the canon groups demand a belt.

And Cipher is right, a combat vest would be impractical for all the jumps/flips a jedi would have to do.
Also, comfort-wise at conventions would be an issue. I went to the last con in just my jedi tunics, and I was cooking throughout. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wear my tacvest there as well!!!

And have you ever tried running with full leg pockets on a pair of cargo pants? It's totally impractical, and should you have to draw a saber quickly from your pocket halfway down your leg, you'd more than likely trip yourself up as you're walking, or the other guy would decapitate you long before you could draw yours.

Equipment is easier to get off of a belt quickly, and is more practical for movement, that's why all military forces/ emergency services still use equipment belts.

Plus, the belt just completes the outfit!!

Darth Lars
06-28-2009, 05:30 AM
The classic jedi clothing consists of a kimono-style tunic that has no (visible) fasteners. Over that is a tabard made up of what are basically long, wide ribbons of fabric. A belt is needed to keep the tunic and the tabard together.
The Jedi wear a japanese-inspired "obi" - a fabric belt, but the fabric belt on its own is flimsy... and you can not see any fastener on this either.
So a leather belt with a buckle is worn around all this this. It holds together both the fabric belt, tabard and tunic.
You could have tie-straps at the hips of the tunic, and at the obi, but then the belt would have to cover this up.
For holding the pants up, underneath a jedi tunic, I find draw-string pants or suspenders to be a better choice than a belt.

I also think that it is weird to have clothing without pockets, if you have to carry things around. But the japanese kimono -- from which the clothing is inspired -- did not have any pockets either. The japanese wore their items in their sleeves, tucked into their robes, or using soft pouches hanging from a string from the belt with a pebble (a "netsuke") at the other end.

strengthofrage
06-28-2009, 07:40 AM
...Batman. Coolest. Belt. Ever.

cardcollector
06-28-2009, 09:08 AM
IMO, A belt is part of a Jedi/Sith's identity. It, like their saber, shows part of their personailty.

You take away the belt, and the costume just doesn't look complete.

JVit
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Why do the Sith and Jedi wear belts? How else will they hold up their pants?

In all seriousness, belts are a utility that are non-obstructive to movement (as previously stated), as well as offer a location to hang/place objects on the fly.

Another reason, along the lines of tactical/fashionable, belts allow clothes to be drawn in at the waist, allowing the clothes to follow the natural body lines, giving less obstructions when moving around. Flowing clothes, such as robes or capes, can become caught in diverse move sets. If you need an example, put on your bathrobe and pin the bottom closed. Then try to do any of the normal moves you would in a saber duel (blocking, attacking, parrying and riposting). Martial artists wear clothes that are loose fitting, but follow the body. A reason being, if I were to get caught in my own uniform while attacking someone, I'd a) be embarrassed, b) get my rear end handed to me, c) hurt myself.

I hope this gives you some idea of why belts are useful.

Darth_Shadox
06-28-2009, 08:44 PM
JVIT,

You may have the best logical explanation of all the other posts. Not that they were necessarily wrong, but it does present the arguments in a structured manner. Thank you. The previous comments from everyone has made my hesitancy for a belt, less so. However, I may still strap my saber over my left shoulder instead of clipping it to a belt. It will just look silly to have 20" of hilt hanging from my hip to thigh.

Barmic Rin
06-29-2009, 05:45 AM
JVIT,

You may have the best logical explanation of all the other posts. Not that they were necessarily wrong, but it does present the arguments in a structured manner. Thank you. The previous comments from everyone has made my hesitancy for a belt, less so. However, I may still strap my saber over my left shoulder instead of clipping it to a belt. It will just look silly to have 20" of hilt hanging from my hip to thigh.

With that large a hilt, i'd go for a Kota style back strap. http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5379/272954-460px_rahmkota_bg_large.jpg
Some of us do try to put our answers in a structured manner, though unfortunately we only speak english, which others on the other side of the atlantic have trouble understanding. :P

I think most peoples' concerns are that we have recently had a spate of "Darth's" & "Master's" or "Lord's" that have come up with some really dumb ideas for costumes. (The TIE pilot lid & anorak, or the Triumph the dog mask being my faves!)

Having re-read your topic about your 'celtic' inspired hilt, I can see you have much more sense than most other Darths that have infected here recently, so I think you could get away with doing something abit different with your costume.
I personally would have a belt on your costume too, maybe use it to secure a bandolier strap for your hilt scabbard.... just a suggestion...

Darth_Shadox
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks. I definitely love SW too much to do something asinine. Triumph the dog mask?!? Really? I've been involved with SW lore since I was a lad and as such have been steeped in the canon and have a deep respect for it. However, I always feel that thinking outside of the box and being original are important concepts of costuming, design, and RP. I probably will have a belt of some sort. I just have the physical ability to carry more weight due to my size and would like to take advantage of that in regards to my costuming. Knowing the average size person, 5'5"-5'8", how sinister would a 6'4-5" Sith walking into a room be, in a Sith robe with Sithari runes etched in gold lining around the hood, and under the robe he is covered in black armor with gold accents and an massive saber pommel protruding over his left shoulder? I'm a huge KOTOR fan, and my character is pre-Ruusan Reformation, which is when Jedi stopped really using armor.

My goal isn't to get black linens from a Wal-Mart and a red torch can call myself a Sith. I desire to bring into creation a believable character. An ancient Sith, one that has seen the battles of the Old Wars and lived on to tell about it, lurking in the shadows, and waiting to take ultimate revenge on the pompous Jedi.

Regards,

DS

Barmic Rin
06-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks. I definitely love SW too much to do something asinine. Triumph the dog mask?!? Really? I've been involved with SW lore since I was a lad and as such have been steeped in the canon and have a deep respect for it. However, I always feel that thinking outside of the box and being original are important concepts of costuming, design, and RP. I probably will have a belt of some sort. I just have the physical ability to carry more weight due to my size and would like to take advantage of that in regards to my costuming. Knowing the average size person, 5'5"-5'8", how sinister would a 6'4-5" Sith walking into a room be, in a Sith robe with Sithari runes etched in gold lining around the hood, and under the robe he is covered in black armor with gold accents and an massive saber pommel protruding over his left shoulder? I'm a huge KOTOR fan, and my character is pre-Ruusan Reformation, which is when Jedi stopped really using armor.

My goal isn't to get black linens from a Wal-Mart and a red torch can call myself a Sith. I desire to bring into creation a believable character. An ancient Sith, one that has seen the battles of the Old Wars and lived on to tell about it, lurking in the shadows, and waiting to take ultimate revenge on the pompous Jedi.

Regards,

DS

THAT's the kinda sith we want on here!!!

JVit
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
If you need to use a General Kota style backclip (sheath, what have you), you may be able to fasten it to the outside of your cloak, using some straps to sew on or velcro the clip point(s) (pending if you want the saber to hang down from your shoulder, or follow diagonally [requiring 2 clips]).

Another option is to have your saber hanging horizontally on your belt in the back (2 clips may be required to hold at this point) underneath your cloak. This will allow you the freedom of the cloak, a place to put your saber that will not be intrusive to your costume, and allow you easy access to your weapon.

I hope this helps. If you need further explanation, I can draw up a model for you to further illustrate if it's confusing.

J. Vit

Darth_Shadox
06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
haha, I understand JVit, I just really don't desire to have my saber on my belt. I'll decide eventually where to place it...maybe...

Novastar
06-30-2009, 01:38 AM
If you want to adhere to what 'everyone else thinks'... ...
... a belt might be "required".

If you prefer to do things with your own style and tastes... ...
... well... you can do things with your own style and tastes! :)

It's of little consequence in the "real world", or in the "fan film" world or even in the "fan groups" or whatever, but--Novastar does not wear a belt. He never did.

Whether that means it is correct or incorrect isn't the point... it's just a fact. Whether it means others think that the choice was/is "stupid", "interesting" or even irrelevant--also isn't the point... it's just a fact.

I say do what you want.

JamoUp
06-30-2009, 04:57 AM
I prefer suspenders

porcupinevanguard
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Belts aren't the only thing that cling well to the body, and on the contrary, with that lightsaber swinging back and forth when you run, there are far more effective things to have.

And belts are not strict canon, as my counterexample, I present General Grievous. He kept lightsabers in his pockets.

Now, for the alternatives.

The thigh holster:
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-87385516830474_2058_359321633
Not much of a deviation from the belt, but more secure.

The shin holder:
http://www.knifehouse.com/images/knifes/4001186.jpg
A little awkward for quick draw, but most saber battles were slow draws anyway, just to keep them looking cool. ;)

This is my personal favorite
The shoulder holster:
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/shoulder_holster_jpg.jpg
Quick draw possibilities, fits snug on the body, and conceals nicely under the cloak without the hindrance during combat.

Aaaaand the two back styles:
http://www.hockscqc.com/blogs/04-07/Middle%20of%20back%20knife%20carry.jpg
http://www.loveleaf.net/ts/image/UC1184.jpg

well, that last one is still technically a belt, but you get the idea.

For the jedi canoneers, why not have both! >.>

sithlordfaust
06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Belts aren't the only thing that cling well to the body, and on the contrary, with that lightsaber swinging back and forth when you run, there are far more effective things to have.

And belts are not strict canon, as my counterexample, I present General Grievous. He kept lightsabers in his pockets.

Grevious wasnt a Jedi or a Sith though. but as an example of a canon Jedi I submit for you concideration Greneral Rohm Kota who wore his litsaber in a Backback/bandolier kinda thing

Jedi Ranger
06-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Well, if you insist on NOT wearing a belt, you could always go with a dress and a murse, or even a purse. :P :P :P

cardcollector
06-30-2009, 04:06 PM
You could also rig up something so the lightsaber hangs inside your cloak.
I think that would look pretty cool.:cool:

annon
07-01-2009, 08:00 AM
you could just put your saber in your obi like a samurai.

Sairon
07-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I prefer suspenders
^
Lol

Lightsaber holsters have always been cool.

(Anyone remember the jedi kilt, that was sick!)

Darth_DevilGuy
07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I've been thinking about costumes a bit recently, my advice when designing a costume is to look at what martial artists wear, it's generally loose, though sometimes skin tight and stretchy. The reason for this is pure freedom of movement, you want to be able to move as freely as possible in hand to hand combat.

If you look at sith and Jedi costumes, they generally work along those same lines, the belt as others have stated is there to keep your clothes from getting in your way. It's also a very convenient place to hang stuff to be at hand when you need it, which is why humans have been using belts for thousands of years and show no signs of stopping. It's simply one of the most utilitarian items man has ever invented. If it were remotely provable I'd bet that hominids made belts to carry tools before they managed to migrate far enough north to need heavier clothing.

Also you have to take into account the fact the simplicity is often a virtue in and of itself, you can make or repair a belt just about anywhere, but if the plastic holster built into your space age leotard snaps then you're back to making a belt. It may not be worth the effort or even less efficient to rely to rely on complex engineering that can break or be fouled when a simple belt will do the job.

That's not to say it's always the right item, if your saber is too big for a belt, there are different ways to wear it, my thought would be to create something akin to a cross between a classic sword belt and a belt holster.

http://www.thesteelsource.com/images/b131.jpg
Basically you could use something that hangs from the belt at an angle, and holds the saber like a holster, kind of like the picture, but replace the scabbard with the holster.

Sairon
07-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Just to clarify I believe the term for that sheath type is called a baldric.:)

Darth_DevilGuy
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Just to clarify I believe the term for that sheath type is called a baldric.:)

you are right actually, though it's immaterial to my suggestion, I'm just too tired to look up the nomenclature right now.

Scars Unseen
07-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Actually, that isn't a baldric. It's a belt with a sword hanger(also called a frog). A baldric is suspended from the shoulder, going across the chest, like this:

http://www.evenlodestudio.com/images/belts/belts_single_baldric.jpg

I was actually thinking of using a baldric, especially since the saber I'm building is a bit on the long side.

Sairon
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Meh, they are basicly the same, to much sword information is cramed in my brain so I mix things up sometimes. Thanks for the clarifacation though.

Gray Master Drexx
08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I too understand the dilemma between making your own characters costume meanwhile trying to make it believable in the Star Wars Universe.

The thing that I find ironic is that Lucas has always been a strong proponent against the corporate committee mentality of "Where, When, How, Who and What it is going to be!" Yet most of the major costume groups today preach the very same control methods that Lucas is against. He had his own vision of what he would like to see and didn't want Studio heads deciding what his epic space opera would consist of. Lucas was a director that wanted Hollywood to come to him and essentially he achieved this. Lucas didn’t think of every idea and detail that went into the trilogies though. When studying the making of all of these films it is very clear that he instructed the artists and other personnel to add little bits here and there. Adding there own touches to make the story, scene or costume more interesting. When you have a production like the size of Star Wars you need to have units of experts that also put there two cents in so that you can have an eclectic experience.

I understand about the licensing rights and all of the issues you have to go through now in order be one of these groups which again is ironic as this is what Lucas didn't want, but once something gets so massive and popular legal issues come into play which preach rules, but not to the point where those rules should stifle others creativity. Once you get to a certain point in Star Wars myth there is a standard as far as what the Jedi order of the "Movie" Old Republic wore and then 19 to 22 years later when you see how Luke is taking the garb. Some would say that this is another loophole in between the trilogies but Lucas may have wanted it this was. Out with the old in with the new so to speak. My mom and I worked together when I was little to help me make all of the Star wars costumes of the characters I loved and they all worked very well.

Now that I am 27 I still see the allure of dressing up as Obi-Wan and Anakin (mainly because I would fit the part now) but I have just seen so many. Some would say it never gets boring but after awhile the magic wanes. 40 Episode III Obi-Wan’s and 50 Anakin’s would be very cool all lined up in a row but 90 customized Jedi and Sith would be much cooler if done with enough effort. Lucas said in a 1980's interview that he designed the Star Wars universe for one and all and for others to take it as far as they want. This does mean customization, fan films, fan fiction and you have seen this through the years. Now here is where opinion plays a role.

A lot of "Canon" type groups put up the bold claim that "This is what the Jedi wore!" In one sense this statement is true if you’re gravitating towards the movie lore, but what about all of the other types of Jedi clothing that Lucas wanted to scrupulously go through and authorize for the entire expanded universe. Yes people are making and wearing costumes from the EU which I think is great, why? Because it is a break from the norm.

The birth of a "Canon & Non-Canon" group is upon us, why you ask? Because once a group of individuals is cohesively organized into a group where you must strictly follow a set of rules, someone will have a spark of creativity. This spark can be the tiniest glitter but it is small enough to cause a rift between members of this group. Then others start to have sparks maybe even bigger. Then something drastic or amazing happens, either the group parts ways which I believe is the wrong direction, or they start a new branch of the group for the creative members. The Jedi council is a clear example of a committee being blinded by there own rules and ways which ultimately destroyed them.

I think that if the Rebel Legion, Jedi Assembly and the 501st all had this branch they would be even more of an influential force then they already are. It's like playing with Lego’s as a child, some people build using the instructions, some build from the main picture on the box (Me) or some take every single part and build there own creation. People need choices and open minds if they are to be part of a cohesive group or unit. Lucas wanted to make his own choices and not have a committee decide for him and he wanted a universe as far as this world can see. Trust me everyone, we can all see much farther then we think. All in all, belts are needed... why you ask? If I didn't have a belt on right now, well let’s just say that my boss would send me home to put one on. Good chat and May the Force be with you all!!!

Alcfalath
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
You might want to break that up into paragraphs. I managed to get through most of it, but to many, that will be just a wall of text. :P

Oh, and about the whole rules and strict guidelines, you need to read the charters for the 501st and Rebel Legion.

B. COSTUMING STANDARDS - The 501st Legion promotes creating, owning, and wearing the costumes of the Imperial Forces and denizens as featured in the Star Wars films and expanded universe. To capture the magic of these characters, the goal will always be the accurate presentation and portrayal of these costumes. However, we recognize that this hobby centers around fun and creativity. Therefore, the 501st makes allowances for the creative modification of these costumes within the confines of decency (defined as being without profane or vulgar features or statements and must be viewable by young children).

The Rebel Legion celebrates creating, owning, and wearing the costumes of the Hero, Rebel and Republic forces as featured in the six Star Wars films, the Expanded Universe (EU), un-used conceptual art for the films, comics, books, games, and television shows based on the licensed LFL Star Wars saga material. To capture the magic of these characters, our goal will always be the accurate presentation and portrayal of these costumes. The Rebel Legion has two types of costume distinctions. These are Formal and Informal.

Formal: Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials. Costumes must be complete, containing all the parts in good working order and appearance. All costume submissions must meet the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website.
Applicants submitting costumes for any Expanded Universe costume must also submit three (3) LFL licensed sources for the character/costume, in order for it to be considered Formal.

Informal: Informal is defined as costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) that does not contain all the elements as it appears in the source material and/or is customized as the owner desires. An Informal costume can also be something never seen in a film, EU, or LFL media material. These original and customized costumes will be considered, provided that their level of customization has some precedence in the Star Wars Universe. Informal costumes may be reproductions of film or EU costumes that do not meet all the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website, or they may be EU costumes with less then three (3) reference sources.

It may seem the legion are biased towards 'canon' costumes, but at the same time, the people who perceive us have to be able to easily recognise us. Sadly that mean that going too far into EU or even a 'custom' can tarnish that effect, and as such, the image/effect of the Legion/s. Im in it mostly to raise money for childrens charities, so I dont mind what I wear as long as that gets done. Its why I joined both Legions :)

cardcollector
08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I ran into it and fell on my face...

It was a lot of great ideas though... especially not sticking to the norm.:cool:

Gray Master Drexx
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
DREXX JUST GOT SLAMMED!!!

You are absolutely right about the giant wall there. Sometimes from the posters point of view it never seems like a wall until someone else runs into it. My apologies, I will need to break that up and maybe also edit it as to where I wasn't specific enough.

I have read both of these manifestos and they are honorable ones at that. Just so all of you know I am not against these groups in anyway, shape or form in fact I hope to join the Rebel Legion and the Jedi Assembly with my hopefully accurate portrayal of Galen Marek in his Jedi Adventurer outfit from The Force Unleashed video game.

I should have been more specific when debating between Canon and Non-Canon ideals. I knew that the groups let you do your own customizing on the costumes to a certain degree but the costume still has to be part of the Movie or EU which there are obvious reasons for. I understand the fun, challenging aspects of creating the costume from your most beloved character in every accurate intricate detail. Audiences and children need a character that they know and love not some random Gray Jedi named Baylen Drexx. I still think that it’s fun to do your own thing every once in a while.

I love the charity work that the 501st and the Rebel Legion do and that is also the main reason I would like to get involved. Be part of a collective group bringing joy and hope to kids.

I guess it wouldn’t be a problem if a member of the 501st or the Rebel Legion one day dressed as your own character during a Convention. They would just need to make sure people knew that it isn’t your Legion’s costume. If there isn’t anything wrong with that then there really isn’t any need for debate.

I do understand all of these points so forgive me if I wasn't clear enough in my last post. I am actually very excited about joining the Legion’s (If they accept me!). The Force Unleashed costume I am working on with my Mother in Law is going well. She is awesome for helping me with it. She is currently sewing up the white vinyl tabard robe and the gauntlets for the costume. I am working on the rest of the ensemble. All in all, I think this was a good debate that got things out in the open and also put some issues to rest. May the Force be with you!

Goltar Bias
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I read through this thread and found it very interesting as far as the varying opinions on costume design and part requirements to have a (I guess the best way to say it is) good costume. It seems to me the already existing and very influential groups have developed what any group does that lasts is a method of quality control in the costumes they view as acceptable. The group The Jedi Collective which unless i am wrong started in this form is far more flexible in their requirements as far as the belt/no belt issue goes. But they too have a quality standard they list in their charter.

More to the point, it is the quality control aspect that helps these groups survive and thrive. This is what I believe has contributed to the down fall of just about any Sith based group that might have come up. The evidence is even right on this form as mentioned about the Darth Doggy (think it was titled Darth Anubis). I will admit I am working on a Sith costume dealing with armor and it is a slow process and when i am done i will post it and welcome feedback on it.

So to close this; people please put as much thought as possible into your costume concept, design, and execution. It makes a difference.

Gray Master Drexx
08-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Absolutely great point and close Goltar! < The Force is strong with this one!

mihunai
06-06-2010, 05:50 AM

Actually, there is

The 903RD (http://903rd.proboards.com/index.cgi)

They focus on Star Wars costumes that are not canon,
but still plausible.

mTm

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Why are belts neccessary? I have multiple answers to this question. I doon't believe in any particular answer, and I don't believe one is more right than another, but here goes:

1.The belt completes the Jedi/Sith look, as every one of the Jedi/Sith had one of some sort (except Palpatine but he had to hide everything to not blow his secret)
2.Vests and cargo pants are restricting and slow you down
3.Jedi/Sith need quick access to all their gear

Michael Acurantes
08-29-2010, 01:39 AM
They wear belts maybe just maybe when their pants get too heavy from bringing lightsaber and other stuff it wont come off. What if the jedi happened to lose weight and his pant's size is 36 then hes now 33.

hell scare sith girls when doing battle with them

yikes

Ronan
08-29-2010, 02:35 PM
They wear belts maybe just maybe when their pants get too heavy from bringing lightsaber and other stuff it wont come off. What if the jedi happened to lose weight and his pant's size is 36 then hes now 33.

hell scare sith girls when doing battle with them

yikes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

Matt Thorn
08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
The tabards double as suspenders to prevent the kind of accidents Micheal mentions.

(Yes, I'm joking.)

Sunrider
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Maybe this is too simple but...... :wink:

1. People have waists above their legs.

2 Gravity.

jin starkiller
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
very true ....need belt to hold up pants :D

Thaxos
09-02-2010, 11:47 PM
very true ....need belt to hold up pants :D

Use the Force Luke.
Use the Force...

Matt Thorn
09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Use the Force Luke.
Use the Force...
Zing! :cool:

I think we've milked this one for all it's worth. ;)

Jedi-Loreen
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
And then some. :rolleyes:

Ronan
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
And then some. :rolleyes:

No no no...

The belt holds up the pants, but my pants have belt loops...

Who's the real hero? :rolleyes:

NOW its been milked to death :D

Darth cleric
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I were my sabers like swords its not the point of a belt some jedi and sith just use belts because its easy to take your hilts out others like vest belts or like me a saber holder which is just like a sword holder.

Loachri MacTalabh
12-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Simplest answer; "A long long time ago, In a galaxy far far away..."

Darth Astronimus
01-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Am Down For No Belts.

Down With Belts!!!
Up With Creativity!!!!

Matt Thorn
01-02-2011, 04:06 AM
The zombie thread. You think it's dead, yet it rises again...for no discernable reason.

Loachri MacTalabh
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
The zombie thread. You think it's dead, yet it rises again...for no discernable reason.
Could always put a blaster bolt the head!

Azmaria Dei
01-02-2011, 10:45 AM
i like belts now and then. a sling or holster is also good. or perhaps a fanny pack. ^_^ my corset has garter loops - i could probably rig something with those if i really had to.