PDA

View Full Version : Driver board coupled wtih sound?

Cantina Chef
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Can the 3w led driver you sell be used to drive a lux 5. On the same note can it be coupled with a hasbro sound board. if so any suggestions or do i need to hit myself with a tac hammer?

DJMoonbass
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
thats actually kinda legit. as it says here

* Ramp up/down, static shimmer, optional flash on impact and lockup
* Maximum input voltage has been increased to 30V from the previous 12V
* Maximum output voltage has been increased to 25V. Rebel compatible.
* Uses less than 0.2mA when sleeping (turned off, with power to driver)
* Size is reduced by 35%, 0.80 x 1.1 from previous 1.25 x 1.625
* Pulsed Width Modulation averages 1A output with 1.2A when “clashing”
* On board micro on/off switch with contacts for remote switch
* Available in momentary or latching switch configurations

it can run almost any LED thrown at it. because it can handle so much voltage. i believe you would still need to get the right current to the LED but i am sure that the driver could handle 5 watt, maybe even 10 to 15. im not sure,

council members feel free to correct me if im wrong

Jedi-Loreen
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
No, those drivers are only meant to run the Lux 3 LEDs, if they could drive other LEDs, it would say so in the description.

Voltage is not the issue, current is. The Drivers put out too much current for a Lux V.

The driver doesn't drive the red or amber Lux 3s as well, because they like more than the 1 Amp it puts out, it works best with white, green, cyan and the blues. It doesn't put out enough current to properly drive a K2. I'm not sure if the P4 current requirements are the same as the Lux 3 or not.

Yes, the drivers can be paired with a Hasbro board. Look in the Tutorial section for wiring diagrams.

DJ, please make sure you know what you're talking about before giving out advice.

Cantina Chef
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
appreciate the imput guys but....so ah is there anyway to get the flicker effect on a lux five with a hasbro sound board?.....its not like those ultrasound2.1s are always in stock and easy to get ;)

Thaxos
06-09-2009, 02:11 PM
The driver doesn't drive the red or amber Lux 3s as well, because they like more than the 1 Amp it puts out, it works best with white, green, cyan and the blues. It doesn't put out enough current to properly drive a K2. I'm not sure if the P4 current requirements are the same as the Lux 3 or not.

P4 is happy with 1 Amp

Jay-gon Jinn
06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
appreciate the imput guys but....so ah is there anyway to get the flicker effect on a lux five with a hasbro sound board?.....its not like those ultrasound2.1s are always in stock and easy to get ;)

You can't run a Lux V directly from any of the Hasbro boards. The maximum voltage for some of the older boards is 4.5volts, the newer ones top out at 6 volts. The luxeon V requires at least 6.85 volts to light up properly.

You can run one from the Corbin 3W driver, but you'll be overdriving the led. Look in the wiring Diagrams section of the forums to see how to do it. There are diagrams that specifically show the board wired to a Hasbro (toy saber) board. If you decide to attempt it, make sure the driver board is a momentary switch type.

for the amount of trouble the V's can have with getting the right batteries to power both the driver board and the soundboard, though, you'd be better off going with the P4 if you want a blue or green blade. Even a red Lux III or red P4 will be just fine with the driver's 1000ma.

Thaxos
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Even a red Lux III or red P4 will be just fine with the driver's 1000ma.

I think you mean eye tearingly bright.... I've done it several times now. ;)

Cantina Chef
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Here is my bastardized diagram of what my newbie brain is scheming. Will it work?

Thaxos
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Here is my b----dized diagram of what my newbie brain is scheming. Will it work?

Forums don't need swearing, please refrain from it. Thanks.

When I click on the image, it's fuzzy as well... I can't tell what you have wired up...

Cantina Chef
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
wasn't aware that i was swearing or using inappropriate language. my appologies to those offended. will try a more clear picture.

TimeRender
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Thaxos, the word "bastardize" isn't swearing. Look it up.

Jedi-Loreen
06-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Forums don't need swearing, please refrain from it. Thanks.

When I click on the image, it's fuzzy as well... I can't tell what you have wired up...

Thaxos, the word "bastardize" isn't swearing. Look it up.
Bastardize: To lower in quality or character; debase.

It's kind of subjective, but it still isn't a very nice sounding word.

And yeah, that diagram is almost impossible to read.

Cantina Chef
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok here is a readable diagram....can it be done?

Jedi-Loreen
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
If you took that from the diagrams in the Tutorial section, it looks like it should work.

You don't need a resistor on the LED, since you'll be using a driver.

Cantina Chef
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I made it myself. Didn't get it from the forums. The questions i am wondering about are the same clash sensor being used for both the soundcard and the driver, but also the driver is made to run a lux 3. I want to run a lux 5 (hence the resistor) is that possible to do? or will the lux 5 still be overdriven by the corbin driver?

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
JLo is right you don't need a resistor...I'm not so sure about using a single clash sensor though, when using a higher voltage power supply? I havent done that myself but iirc correctly some people have said thats bad for the MR board [?] and you might need separate clash sensors?

Jay-gon Jinn
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I made it myself. Didn't get it from the forums. The questions i am wondering about are the same clash sensor being used for both the soundcard and the driver, but also the driver is made to run a lux 3. I want to run a lux 5 (hence the resistor) is that possible to do? or will the lux 5 still be overdriven by the corbin driver?

What FX board are you planning to use? The only one offered in the new Hasbro Signiture Series sabers has current flowing through the clash sensor, and it will damage the Corbin driver. If you happen to have an older Master Replicas Luke Skywalker ROTJ or Mace Windu ROTS soundboard, then you can use the clash sensor on those boards for both the soundboard and the driver, as they are the only FX soundboards that do not have current flowing through the clash sensor.

Overdriving the Luxeon V will not hurt it, really, but it may shorten it's life from 100,000 hours to about 70,000....

you'll need to use a 7.4 volt battery pack to run that Luxeon V, but that voltage will also destroy the FX and even the economy (toy) hasbro boards. I'd suggest just using a Lux III or a Seoul P4.

Cantina Chef
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
awesome imput guys, thanks. I planned on using either a hasbro obiwan or an fx construction kit soundcard/sensors. the hours lost on the led aren't a big issue. but the driver and soundcard being damaged are. I think i messed up on the battery voltage it is two trustfires....7.4V sorry. but anyways, just so my newbie brain can comprehend everything....it can't be done without destroying the soundcards or driver....with the parts i have.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, it can be done, it's just overly complicated for your first saber, if that's what this is. You can use the set-up you have in the diagram, with the 5 volt regulator for the FX soundboard. That will drop the voltage from 7.4 to 5 volts for the FX board. I missed that earlier in your diagram when i looked at it.

So, if you're going to use the Hasbro/MR FX board, you'll want to get another clash sensor for the corbin board. The only thing I'd change in the diagram is the location of the latching switch. For those two boards, you will need a single, DPDT switch that will turn on both circuits at the same time. It would be wired to the switch leads of both boards. The best FX board for this set-up would be the construction kit board, because it can't drive a Luxeon III by itself, let alone the Lux V. I'd save the Obi-Wan board for another saber that just runs a Luxeon III or P4.

I'd suggest some reading in the Saber Sound section, or do a search for "Joe Jedi" or "sw-616 soundboard" to find some more information on that board and how to use it.

Cantina Chef
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
my momma always said...if your gonna battle the empire a jedi needs a sophisticated weapon. thanks for all the help and advice. ill be sure to post the finished product. thanks again!

Brakvador
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Is it possible to use the clash sensor on both vader hasbro anh and the Tcss driver .Or the current flowing will destroy it ?
And is it possible to wire it with the same latching switch (the little one on vader hilt).Both soundboard and driver.