PDA

View Full Version : need some help from our electronic gurus on board component

Zook
06-05-2009, 01:56 PM
OK let me first say that I know enough about component level stuff just to get me into trouble. I really dont know much except I know how to trace voltage to an extent and can usually figure stuff out.

I had a problem with my 616 board...long story short I put fresh batteries in and fried it. Has sound but no light.

I got a great deal on a complete joe jedi kit so I took it apart and started comparing voltages (since I didn't have a schematic I was just guessing before).

I found the part that is bad or at least its one component that's bad. Its Q2 on the board. It is the transistor that connects voltage in the RGB switch box (trace goes to the box and it distributed to either the R, G or B depending on the switch setting) that drives the LED.

Now here is where I need the help. I realize I cant just take any old transistor from other stuff and have it work but I don't know how to determine what that component should be.

On the top of it are the letters BJD horizontally and 2A vertically. It is a small surface mount transistor.

I did some googleing last night and found one link that might be it but it didnt have a pic so I wasn't sure.

Can anyone tell me what that means or how I can tell what transistor to get.

I know most would say just dont use the 616 card or use it for sound only anyway but its a good card for a couple projects I have and I hate to waste anything anyway.

Well I kinda got it to work. I found out how to see if it was NPN or PNP and took one out of an old phone (that had 2A on it as well but not the other letters...not sure if that means anything or not).

It works BUT the current is really low from what it should be (200ma with a 3xAAA battery pack). I guess I just need to find the correct component.