PDA

View Full Version : Best way to paint the fluted sections...?

strengthofrage
06-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello er'body,

I am looking for suggestions on how people have been painting the fluted sections... I have seen them painted and tried doing it recently with decent but not 'good enough' results. I first tried painting them by hand with a small brush but didn't like the results. I then tried using the blue painters tape and a razor and then spray painting.. It worked alright but not well enough for me to be satisfied. Anyone have another way to paint them?

Thanks,
SoR

Lord Maul
06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
The best way (how Tim does it I believe) is to paint the whole part and then sand off the paint from the exterior.

Lord Dottore Matto
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I do it the same as Tim does.

Darth Leximus
06-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Ditto thats how I got this...

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/lexxicon88pb/003.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/lexxicon88pb/002-1.jpg

strengthofrage
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Fantastic!!! I knew I was missing something! Thanks for the tip guys, I appreciate it :)

Jagahati
06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I used this method for my saber as well for spray painting.

When I did my own powder coat I shot the whole piece and then took a damp q-tip and my finger and wiped it off all the ridges. A few places needed sanding afterward but it was a very minimal issue.

Jonitus
06-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I tape off the top and bottom of the piece but paint the rest of it and then just sand the entire thing to remove paint from the high points. If you leave the paint to dry sufficiently, you'll be left with nice crisp lines.

Novastar
06-02-2009, 12:29 AM
STR of RRRrrrrr!! = +5 bonus for adding some of the hella best post ideas lately. heheheh

And Maul... that is an awesome way to do that--kudos to you & Tim, I would never thought of that. Granted, I don't have a fluted part, but... [[[STORES IN MEMORY BLOCK 0xA02450F]]]...

*bbzzztt*... .... click-click... BEEP. (hehhehehe)

Darth_DevilGuy
06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I did the opposite recently, I wanted the ridges to look milled in but already had the part so taped the milled slots and used the butt of my exacto to make sure the tape was in there good (the butt of a standard metal exacto knife works like a charm) then I sanded off the extra masking in the process of roughing the part for painting.