PDA

View Full Version : * ATTENTION * For those interested in seeing "collab" vids by sabersmiths...

Novastar
05-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Ok... so... to put it succinctly: MANY sabersmiths will be having a quasi-unofficial gathering which will take place near my home...

-----------------------------------------
WHAT: Sabersmith gathering
WHERE: SJ/SF Bay area of California
WHEN: July-ish 2009
WHY: Because we want to + there is power in numbers...
WHO: Novastar, Erv, Eandori, Yoda, Judge + JSaberChick, LDM, Gravy... and possibly a few others--who have yet to confirm, deny, or yell at / cajole me.

Sorry, this is by INVITE only. We can't have 100 people swarming all over the place... lol
-----------------------------------------

So why the bloody 'ell am I posting about this? Well... I'm open to hearing a few "requests" on things you'd like to see from us.

This doesn't mean we're making promises... it's just to get ideas from everyone on things they might like to see. Maybe a quick question that really hasn't been answered before... maybe just a simple wiring exampler... maybe a certain dueling move? I don't know... this is why I'm thinking that some "brainstorms" from you guys might give us some good material to try! :)

Again--sorry--no promises, but... I will tell you all this: we're going to be doing PLENTY of video. :cool:

jtong77
05-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, are there any specific topics you guys planning to discuss?

VeggieJedi
05-28-2009, 03:43 AM
whoa you're up late/early when you posted this hehe like 3 am ish
anyway, maybe you could individually pick a speciality to focus on eg. you on duelling/choreo/tricking, Erv on wiring etc while the others help/collaborate so you all have your own "sections" while the others are assistants. Just an idea.

I would like to see more duelling/choreo. Duelling is cool. And some showing off of sabers of course :D
Oh, and if possible I would like to know how you constructed your sabers (the Flanges), that hasn't really been explained in a video.

Great idea N'Star!

strengthofrage
05-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Sounds like fun Nova :)

A video of a group discussion about general saber knowledge might be a cool place to start... Maybe have an example of a custom saber and go through it in sections and discuss your different preferences for doing things. You could start with wiring, heat shrink, routing, chassis, resonance, spacing, switch placement & mounting, heat sink, etc... kind of move through a hilt and discuss what the different saber smiths like to do and use. I bet there are a lot of personal preferences that all work well but differ a great deal.

2 cents deposited :)

cardcollector
05-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I'd say film it! that way everyone who isn't invited can still learn (and see you fighting with lightsabers.);)

jtong77
05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Maybe you can live broadcast it, hehe.

JamoUp
05-28-2009, 07:46 AM
video podcast. I am very excited to hear/see the information that comes out of this meeting of the minds.

cardcollector
05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe you can live broadcast it, hehe.

Great Idea!!!:D

Rhyen Skytracker
05-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Let's just have one huge video conference. lol :)

Kal El Rah
05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Better Idea there Rhyen!

Sairon
05-28-2009, 06:56 PM
We could use our SuperIMAX tv!

Lord Dottore Matto
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Sorry, guys Gravy and I were planning on lots of nudity and this is a PG forum.;)

jtong77
05-28-2009, 10:19 PM
We can put mosaic over the offensive parts....

Novastar
05-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Sorry, guys Gravy and I were planning on lots of nudity and this is a PG forum.;)The sabersmith showdown is supposed to be *FUN* and... you know... a nice respite from your average, everyday experiences...

...if I wanted to see pale-colored, miniature sabers, I'd just go get some EL sabers... :twisted:

:D

I'd say film it! that way everyone who isn't invited can still learn (and see you fighting with lightsabers.);)Film it?!? Why in blazes would we do THAT?!? lol.

Of course there will be video. In fact... I already have a few "fun" film projects planned with our idiotic geeker tweaker team--two in particular that will be just for the fun of it, and be meant to invoke laughter from viewers... but not so much be informative.

And... of course there will be other vids as well, hopefully demo-ing sabers, sparring, etc.

cardcollector
05-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Awesome! I'm loooking forward to seeing the fun you guys have!!:cool:

Novastar
06-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Any more requests? :)

Other than us asking Gravy for a ride on his bike, lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0XrZhtXDy0&fmt=18

:mrgreen:

DACOTA
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Did you say he is from Fresno?

grayven
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes I am from the big armpit (Fresno).
Yes I will be giving motor bike rides.
Yes I will be giving Jon some personal Love.:eek:
Yes I will take Vegi Oil.

Lord Dottore Matto
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes I am from the big armpit (Fresno).
Yes I will be giving motor bike rides.
Yes I will be giving Jon some personal Love.:eek:
Yes I will take Vegi Oil.

Dude, you are NOT bringing the Veg!;)

Kal El Rah
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL, you guys are to funny.;)

Blue Fox
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
aww! you know you guys are giving me more reason to hate Indiana more and more. All my best friends live in either the UK or California. I'd have happily come over to be a dueling partner or whatever. Ah well.
I think you could discuss design influences, perhaps do a saber build together that could be for auction for charity or a raffle or something.

Jedi-Loreen
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
He could just buy some when he gets there. :p

grayven
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
He could just buy some when he gets there. :p

They will never stop the Vegi from flowing.:D

Darth_DevilGuy
06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
They will never stop the Vegi from flowing.:D

I tried to come up with a visual for that and threw up on my keyboard... thanks guys...

Tenric Starkindler
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Though it may be too much to ask of such an august assemblage it occurs to me that two things would be most useful...
1) A round table type discussion of the various stages/specialties of saber making as mentioned already. The tips and ideas to be gleaned from such a video could advance the hobby greatly.

2) An actual saber assembly on video. Perhaps a design taken from paper to duel? Each saber-smith could habdle a part of the assembly with explanations and such? This would be an essential primer for the newbe's and a refresher/idea generator for the more experienced.

ALSO;
IF such a saber were made...perhaps it could then be either raffled or auctioned off to the membership and the proceeds used to either offset the costs of the event or donated to a worhty charity? (raffle may bring in more)

Novastar
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Those are good thoughts, Tenric! Duly noted! :)

I think #1 will definitely happen. And I'll be video-ing, so... it's cool.

#2 is going to happen to a certain extent already... as a special saber is being made for a unique individual. And it's a gift to this individual. I won't say more--people will have to wait to see.

As to making a saber for charity... yeah... that would be sweet!! Jon and Eastern did that in a prior video I think... so... we might just do that, you never know.

Again... nothing can be guaranteed, but it's certainly a good idea!!