PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Soundboard?!?!

cardcollector
05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I was just wanting to know if it was possible to make my own soundboard.
I know Erv make his handmade but I just don't have that kind of money.:(

Soooo, does anyone have a website or basic info (cost, tools required, etc.) on making a sound board they would like to share with me?:)

Lord Dottore Matto
05-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Do a google search for the ReplicantFX project

cardcollector
05-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I did that LDM and found the main page is closed due to military obligations...DARN!!:mad:

I looked at the forums and found a little info... what I really would like is some suppliers.
so after googling for about 45 minutes I found this, what do you think?
http://www.stormyacres.com/SoundBoard/kits.html

Barmic Rin
05-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Have you done any reading on the sound boards topics?

MANY people have asked this same question!!!!!

If you have the time, knowledge & skilll, go for it. If not, READ!!!!!!!

cardcollector
05-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I was not aware that Making your own sound board from scratch had been discussed here... I certainly didn't find anything.:(

I have been searching the web and these forums for about 1 hour and 30 mintues total before I posted this thread!!!:mad::confused::(
If you would like to prove to me that my searching is horrible please provide the links...;-)

Barmic Rin
05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, it's discussed here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7479

And there was the one Maliki Skywalker was looking at doing, though I can't find be bothered to look ATM.

There's two examples....

You're welcome....

cardcollector
05-24-2009, 02:22 PM
well that helps... a little.

It seems that I will have to find and test everything without someone as a guide.:(

Barmic Rin
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, that's good. You have to remember that anyone that makes them is unlikely to give you the secrets of their product, but all good....

eastern57
05-24-2009, 03:28 PM
How did you NOT find it on google? It took me almost 3 seconds... it ever redirected me when I spelled it wrong... your google-fu is weak...

xl97
05-24-2009, 05:40 PM
the reality of it is.. you wont. (sorry)..

you are 'looking for suppliers'? of what?

if you are looking for suppliers of an already made board..then wouldnt it be 'their' board?

if you are looking for suppliers of components... try mouser, alliedelectronics..etc..etc (a goog le searchof electronics will result in 1000's of electronic venders)

however.. even if 'you' knew all the parts that would be needed, such as the resisitors, amplifier, regulator, accelerometer, SD adapter, capcitors, etc..etc... and how they all need to be configured/set-up..

you'd still need a 'brain' so to speak. something that can controll all these components, and make them work...(together).. as well check/do the effects (events) that you desire.

If you wanna do that.. do buy yourself a PICkit start kit.. and learn how to program microcontrollers.. ;)

once you do that.. you may be able to go tot he next step.. which is create your own language or sub-language derived from an existing one and testing.

Let me know when you get the 'curve' for the LED fade in/out routine... Ive have a slight glitch in mine still..

oh, when you figure out the hardware for the power down routine so you still get the power down sound, and then kill power to the board/circiut..also share..as it may be better then the one we have in the works....

and I'd like to see how you do the swing event listener as well.... such what sensitivity levels, and frequency of checking you ultimately go with..

and the list goes on & on my friend.. :)

do you have any programming skills?

even then it would take along time to hash something out that is stable with any sort of real options.

IMHO, you have already been told your best approach.. the ReplicantFX project..

why? because 70% of the REAL work has been done for you..

it would still help to have a little background in programming because the Orion Chip has an API..(language) to it.. it can be used for anything.. props...or whatever you want.. you woudl still have to write your own code/routine to make it work for anything saber related.

alot of the hardware needed has been discussed, as well as a parts list so to speak to get a breadboard version up and running so you can test out code.

I have posted MANY (many) code routines (config files)..

basically I have written a saber based program that will:

1.) let you have a menu were you can load, as many as you want, pre-defined config files (for color, sounds, speed..etc) (ie: you could have a jedi mode, a sith mode, and anything else you wanted to do..all loaded by the menu)
2.) a accent led (or multiple accent leds) blink in random...
3.) power on sound
4.) idle hum sound
5.) swing event listener

all should be visible in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWkRNiO3Tc

I have also been working on the on the PWM side of things, so I can fade in/out the led at different4 speeds, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxekJ7Bvbs0

and I previously, also worked in a flicker effect that in (I feel) on par with the Plecter Dimmer/Driver flicker effects... I created a static flicker effect very faint, almost movie like.. and TroyO created a random flicker effect where the flicker wasnt the same every time.. but more random.. sometimes really faint..sometimes more intense.. although nothing was like a pulsing on/off effect or anything. it was all very appealing to the eye.

perks to the rFX project:

1.) 4 separate PWM controlled outs.. (dynamic color mixing.. colored flash on clash..etc)
2.) it can be set-up to do basically whatever you want it to do.. the pins outs are NOT set in stone (more or less).. I mean if you want 1 accent led or 6..its up to you..all independently controlled by the code you write. 3 for an always on random blinking routine.. 1 for a power on indicator, 2 for a clash effect...whatever you write
3.) you can have as many sounds as the SD card can hold.. and you can use or change those sounds whenever you like as you set-it up in the code
4.) it can control motors or servos....etc..
5.) more advanced stuff like serial in/out to talk to other components.. like a wireless transmittier to talk to OTHER Orion (rFX) chips and control them..maybe by using this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8945

Kal El Rah
05-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks to be very promising.

cardcollector
05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
xl97 THANK YOU!!!!!!
that was exacly what I was looking for!!

To answer some of your questions, no. I have no experience in programming whatsoever. (though I know some one who does)

It will probably be a several year project but I have the time, and willing to learn....

Rhyen Skytracker
05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
The best thing you can do is to read as much of the open source forum on replicantFX until the chips become available again. Believe me, there is tons of information on there to get you started.

xl97
05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
The 'chips' are available..however the 'kits' are not... but they state what you need/get witht he kit, and you can get everything you need elsewhere I suppose.

you'd still need a breadboard set-up.. and this would just be to 'play'... (ie: test code)

there is a PCB in the works for:

1.) a better LED driver board then the homemade one I/we are using currently
2.) a PCB layout for the rFX project as a whole..

cardcollector
05-25-2009, 04:39 AM
So some very basic things I need are...
1. Sound mixing software
2. PCB/SMD board with parts ( I know there will be alot)
3. programming help/ learing
4. breadboard
5. very last- Solder tools (what kind??)

So far so good???

EDIT:http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5590&highlight=home+made+sound+board&page=2 I FINALLY FOUND A RELEVENT THREAD!!!!!!

xl97
05-25-2009, 07:13 AM
So some very basic things I need are...
1. Sound mixing software
2. PCB/SMD board with parts ( I know there will be alot)
3. programming help/ learing
4. breadboard
5. very last- Solder tools (what kind??)

So far so good???

EDIT:http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5590&highlight=home+made+sound+board&page=2 I FINALLY FOUND A RELEVENT THREAD!!!!!!

1.) try audacity
2.) your jumping ahead of yourself there.. and you wont be on this stage for a LONG LONG time
3.) what type of language are you thinking using/learning?..whatever you decide Im sure there is a TON of information on the web..so use google and join a forum or user group based on the language of choice
4.) radioshack
5.) the best kind you can afford..although I doubt you'd be using it any time soon..

you dont need to solder anything when you are at the breadboard set-up.....

its a simple jumper wire set-up

cardcollector
05-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Already downloaded Audacity!:D

Which language is easiest to learn?;)
Seriously, is there one you prefer?

After I figure out the langauge I am guessing(sp:rolleyes:) that I will need to plugg it into something (a microcontroller?). Am I correct or am I getting ahead of myself again?

xl97
05-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Im not really sure..

"I" dont program microcontrollers really.. and I use the already created FXBasic language..

my programming experience is with more web based PHP/ActionScript..etc

say maybe BASIC as the language you want to pursue making your own from scratch..

but I would say find a microcontroller forum.. dedicated for PIC programming..and hang your hat..and then just read, read, read.. do not ask questions right away because any answer will require a base foundation to work from..

maybe just get a book...and start there..

cardcollector
05-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Alright! will do... I actually talked to the guy who does LOTS of programming and he said he is willing to do it and teach me as well:D so I don't think that I need to worry about the languages anymore! (whew!)

You have been a HUGE help Xl!
Do you think that you could give some clear steps on how I should proceed?
I know I have some reading to do but what should I start with and progress to?
Thanks again!!! (I was beginning to think I was in over my head.:()

Revan
05-25-2009, 10:34 PM
i'll be working with a lot of stuff like this when i ship out to the navy. so after i go to the A school and learn all of the cryptologic technician maintenance get-go and get a bachelor of science majoring in electrical engineering, i'll be able to understand much of this stuff and i'll do some research, then i'll be able to come up with some kind of "do it yourself list" to make a sound board like a CF or something like that.... but until then, i can't say i know anything to help you with your situation. but i can promise i will try :cool:

Lord Dottore Matto
05-25-2009, 10:51 PM
best of luck CC!

xl97
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Alright! will do... I actually talked to the guy who does LOTS of programming and he said he is willing to do it and teach me as well:D so I don't think that I need to worry about the languages anymore! (whew!)

You have been a HUGE help Xl!
Do you think that you could give some clear steps on how I should proceed?
I know I have some reading to do but what should I start with and progress to?
Thanks again!!! (I was beginning to think I was in over my head.:()

your 'guy' does lots of programming in what? I mean I program all day long, every day... doesnt do me a lick of good when it comes to programming chips.. (so to speak).. as it isnt directly linked to that.

So maybe you should clarify what kind of programming he does...

if you really want to fast track...get a ReplicantFX chip.. and join in on the rFX project (rFX is the saber based project Tim (from RFX), TroyO, and myself have been working on)..

why? because he has already created a language for the chip..and comes pre-programmed with it.. you just need to download his FXBasic spec sheet and learn all the functions available to you. (it has examples)

outside of just following suit, and everyone else though..Im not sure what else you are going to do though... unless you can figure out some of the things "I" am stuck on. everything else has pretty much been either covered or completed.

and there is a TON of code examples posted by myself, Troy & Tim

if you want to start from scratch... get some books.. on hwo to write BASIC..

or better yet..join a PIC micro-controller forum/group and read...

find out what languages they prefer to program in and why! some languages may be too much because it has functions/options you would never need (per se`).. some may not offer enough support for the things you want to do.

I would start researching what TYPE of chip you want to use..(and why).. some may not have enough room/memory for you.. some may be over kill.. some may require too much power..etc..etc

also pay attention to the type of PINS OUTS the chip has.. as this also may dictate what you settle on and why.

I have never myself programmed (written) my own code/programs for a PIC chip.. (on my things to do in life) LOL... but Ive flashed many chips with other peoples firmware.. and used what they have made available for it.

The ReplicantFX chip can be used ALOT more than just sabers.. as a matter of fact I think it was initially created/used for gun/blaster props..

I mean even as far as we have come right now.. there are still many hurdles needing to be completed..

for example.. I am using a home brew LED driver that supports PWM.. that I created using my laser printer and my iron.. (and a pcb kit/home etching system i got from radio shack) (hardly professional) LOL.. but still works for testing...

this has since been revamped (twice) to not draw any power when not in use..and to be an optional daughter board for the MAIN rFX PCB..

the rFX PCB is still underworks... using SMD parts helps make things a small form factor/footprint....however also diminishes the DIY aspect of making this open source (as its was super hard doing the 2 SMD components on the LED driver..let alone the multiple ones on the PCB for the main board.)

so you pick your poison and jump in where you think you should.

cardcollector
05-26-2009, 11:02 AM
He programs computer software mostly (telling the computer what to do and when etc.) and has learned a lot of different coding languages. it comprises a large part of his job. He's my dad.:rolleyes:

As for the replicant Fx chip. I am not seeing a way to get ahold of one since the main site is closed.:(

Even if the site were up I am not one who likes to take the easy route. IMO if I am going to make a homemade soundboard, I'd like to go all the way and learn how to program it myself. Not as time effective, I know, but I am in this to learn and (as I've stated before) I'm in no rush.

I will start by finding the microchip,what size I need, etc. like you sugest. I'l let you know when I've come up with something.:D My goal is to have a one font sound board that is changeable if needed. but not have 5 fonts on one board.

One more thing, I want to drive the LED through this board. A shimmer when it swings, A flicker when it clashes, and a ramping up/dwn effect.(Is that even possible with a Lux LED?). I have read a little about it on Rfx and it doesn't seem that difficult. Is it?

xl97
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
well if yoru Dad can program in C, Assembly or Basic.. you could use one of tose languages for PIC programming..

again.. you have to decide what is it you want to do...

use analog sensors.. or an accelerometer..

while Im not 100% on the shimmer stuff.. flicker, fade in/out..etc is done through PWM

jtong77
05-30-2009, 05:21 AM
The 'chips' are available..however the 'kits' are not... but they state what you need/get witht he kit, and you can get everything you need elsewhere I suppose.

you'd still need a breadboard set-up.. and this would just be to 'play'... (ie: test code)

there is a PCB in the works for:

1.) a better LED driver board then the homemade one I/we are using currently
2.) a PCB layout for the rFX project as a whole..

I have a bit of trouble finding the chip. Can u point me to the right direction?

cardcollector
05-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Hey Jtong,
At this stage I currently do not konw what chip I am going to use.
Even if I did what "chip" are you refering to? Is it the microcontroller?

If you are refering to the Replicant Fx chip the store "replicantfx.com" is closed because of military obligations. Sorry.

xl97
05-30-2009, 07:12 AM
jtong77-

I'll PM you..

aside from the chip you'll need to order the following (as well as have a breadboard to test with)

# 4 - 10KOhm Resistors
# 1 - 10uf capacitor
# 1 - uSD card adaptor
# 1 - 0.1in header pin Adaptor
# 1 - 512mb uSD card

I also suggest you grab a breadboard..
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=breadboard&origkw=breadboard&sr=1

and a speaker with amplifier:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

however if you want to wait, the chip/code is going through a MAJOR upgrade..that will make things even better (when it will be complete?..no clue..hopefully soon)

and the owner over there (Tim as well) is usually cool about re-flashing when a major upgrade happnes with the chips.. (because the following is so small currently...when things get bigger, I dont know if that will be honored anymore,..as well as the chip itself will be going up to around $25 bucks)

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
well if yoru Dad can program in C, Assembly or Basic.. you could use one of tose languages for PIC programming..

again.. you have to decide what is it you want to do...

use analog sensors.. or an accelerometer..

while Im not 100% on the shimmer stuff.. flicker, fade in/out..etc is done through PWM

Just a friendly Warning but if you have any intention of ever making your soundboard available for sale to others as opposed to just for your own personal use then I would very strongly URGE you to NOT USE ACCELEROMETERS.

There is a LITIGIOUS person who believes he has a patent on ALL use of accelerometers in saber soundboards so if you use them on any soundboard design made for sale you are exposing yourself to legal trouble from this person that you are better off avoiding imo.

It is kind of a sore spot on this forum that we prefer not to talk about but I thought a 'heads up' on the 'accelerometer' issue might save you from making a design choice that could come back to haunt you later...afterall its always better to "avoid imperial entanglements" eh? ;-)

Best of luck with your soundboard design and MTFBWY

xl97
05-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I am 'FULLY' aware of the patent issue.. (and still believe it holds no weight, in a legal courtroom.. if it could ever even get there).. vero's..etc may happen.. or maybe not.. who knows.

but to clarify.. there is no soundboard development to mass produce and sell to the community...

its more of a DIY kit (and 'kit' is stretching it)...

heck the only thing that they would/could have in common is the ReplicantFX chip..

which you can program to use accelerometers, analog sensors...whatever you like..

this is just the route "I" myself (as well as Tim from RFX, and memeber TroyO) have taken, and we have been calaborating together on.

if you know enough.. you can buy the RFX chip.. and write a program that will do whatever you want, with whatever components you want.. its a standard API that you can use to write programs for..

FYI, botht he US and CF boards use accelerometers...

the RFX chip is NOT saber specific.. is a microcontroller, that has an API (list of functions/options) available for you to use for whatever you purpose is..

many have used in their blaster props..

as far as a I know.. 'we' are the only ones workingon a saber specific program for it..

I also think there is a project in the works to have your HOUSE (lights, temp..etc) be cotrolled by it..

so its a just a chip that has an instruction set that you can utilize for whatever your goal is.

you write a program, you put it on the SD card..when the chip boots up (gets power) it compiles/loads this program you wrote..and it does as instructed.

this is NOT a pre-assembled board,,with specific instructions on how to do anything..

although if you wanted to follow along you may be able to find specifc parts, directions..etc

but its not specific, and would be very similar to someone posting how they wired up a RGB led with pots..etc..

make sense? :)

you coudl take same chip..and not use acceleroemeter, or not have a mneu system, or not have an accent led strip with blinkies.. all up to you.

cardcollector
05-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Just a friendly Warning but if you have any intention of ever making your soundboard available for sale to others as opposed to just for your own personal use then I would very strongly URGE you to NOT USE ACCELEROMETERS.

There is a LITIGIOUS person who believes he has a patent on ALL use of accelerometers in saber soundboards so if you use them on any soundboard design made for sale you are exposing yourself to legal trouble from this person that you are better off avoiding imo.

It is kind of a sore spot on this forum that we prefer not to talk about but I thought a 'heads up' on the 'accelerometer' issue might save you from making a design choice that could come back to haunt you later...afterall its always better to "avoid imperial entanglements" eh? ;-)

Best of luck with your soundboard design and MTFBWY

So what would you use instead? A clash sensor like the MR's? I was planning on using one. Is it really that big a deal?:-?

xl97
05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
big deal as in what?

as far as 'easier' I would think its 100x easier.. since you dont have to calculate the X,Y & Z axis of the accelerometer and average them out..then check against a variable/threshold..and if condition is met (true) do something...

its a simple 'completing a circuit' type sensor..

cardcollector
05-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Big deal as in Litigation if you did use an accelerameter(sp).

So instead of an accelerameter... what would I use? I really want to use one so... other that it being harder, convince me something simpler is better:D

xl97
05-30-2009, 10:25 AM
"I" personally dont think the patent will hold any weight in a court of law.. also, since I 'have' talked to a patent lawyer, there are many ways to circumvent a patent.. (by adding/expanding/chaning to an existing idea, and you can get your own patent).. but enough abotu patent talk..

the fact is this person doesnt hold a patent on accelerometers.. he has a patent on 'sound boards, and that use an acceleroemter using X& Y axis' (to be brief).. and its very vauge as well..

you can use an accelerometer.. or you can use an anolog sensor like the swing/clash sensor on MR boards..etc..

why I would convince you something simpler is better?

you dont get the control you do with an accelerometer,.. like swing sensitivity for example..

with an MR type clash sensor.. its either on or off.. connection is made or connection is not made.

cardcollector
05-30-2009, 10:39 AM
OK, Thanks again xl,

I have been read A LOT and will post an update when I think I have found a microcontroller that will work for what I have in mind...

xl97
05-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Im not sure what you mean?

what 'microcontrollers' are you looking at?

these are basically just chips.. "I" would think depending on the language you decide to use will decide the chip you end up using? (such as ram space..etc)

cardcollector
05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
errrrrrrrrrm... I am basicly looking at all the different microcontrolers and trying to figure out what language and memory I need.

I don't know what I am looking for.:(
Reading has helped a little and probably start off buying an "Experiment kit" that has a bunch of different types of microcontrolers together...

Again, I know very little- my dad is more knowlegeble in this so he will probably have a better sense of what is needed.

Some features I hope to have in this board are (I know it is a lot, might as well go all the way on my first try!)
-LED driver (ramping/clash/shimmer)
-hum/swing/clash sounds
-two separate sound banks (ie. saber sound and backround sound playing at same time)

xl97
05-30-2009, 01:28 PM
errrrrrrrrrm... I am basicly looking at all the different microcontrolers and trying to figure out what language and memory I need.

I don't know what I am looking for.:(
Reading has helped a little and probably start off buying an "Experiment kit" that has a bunch of different types of microcontrolers together...

Again, I know very little- my dad is more knowlegeble in this so he will probably have a better sense of what is needed.

Some features I hope to have in this board are (I know it is a lot, might as well go all the way on my first try!)
-LED driver (ramping/clash/shimmer)
-hum/swing/clash sounds
-two separate sound banks (ie. saber sound and backround sound playing at same time)

an LED river is really a separate subject (sorta).. while it can be on the same board... they is really more hardware based.. IMHO..

if you look at the replicantFX project they are actually two separate units/boards..

I built a LED driver that supports PWM with some of the schematics posted...

(I also posted a parts list for it)

the ReplicantFX chip has 4 PWM output pins..that control the PWM supported LED driver (to make things ramp up/down (fade in/out really).. flicker/pulse..etc..) dont get me wrong that can totally be integrated and be on the same PCB.. but if you want to focus on one thing over another.. I just wanted you to be clear..

on instructables.com there are a TON of LED driver tutorials..