PDA

View Full Version : Blade holder

mihunai
05-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Has anyone ever tried to make a blade holder that works like one of those drill with adjustable tips where you turn it and a claw fastens the tip?
you'd have a strong, even grip on the blade plus no 3/4" adapter needed

mTm

Lord Dottore Matto
05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Why don't you make one and show us how!;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I think he's referring to a collet chuck...havent seen one for a saber yet but no reason in theory that I can see why a bladeholder couldnt be made on that principle though I'm not sure why anyone would need to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collet

mihunai
05-24-2009, 11:10 AM
yup, thats the one i mean.
and unfortunately i do not have the tools for such a project, but you did, didnt you LDM ;)

mTm

Kal El Rah
05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
That type of blade retention system was discussed over 8 months ago, can't remember the thread name , but it was discussed with diagrams.

Jedi-Loreen
05-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Something like that would need to be machined. What makes you think that LDM has the proper tools to make one? :confused:

Kal El Rah
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Because LDM has said before, to get him to make something that isn't available, is to tell him it is "IMPOSSIBLE" to make. That's why!

mihunai
05-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Something like that would need to be machined. What makes you think that LDM has the proper tools to make one? :confused:

just an unsupported assumption because the is one of the Big Guys of Sabers

anyway, i guess people will stick to screws if this has been discussed 8 months ago with no results..

mTm

DJMoonbass
05-24-2009, 01:08 PM
LDM what milhunai wants is IMPOSSIBLE to make... ;) ive also got plans and designs and schematics for a new quick release joint for a double bladed lightsaber. that will be a surprise in the next year... no details till then......

Jay-gon Jinn
05-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I think he's referring to a collet chuck...havent seen one for a saber yet but no reason in theory that I can see why a bladeholder couldnt be made on that principle though I'm not sure why anyone would need to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collet

I have seen it done...it's very expensive to do, but holds a blade very well. The machinist that made my custom lightsaber did a run of sabers that we collaborated on the design of, and about a dozen sabers were produced form the run. All of them were loosely based on QG's hilt, and were referred to as the "Nightfall Series," ater the site member that commisioned the original that the rest were based on. I wish I'd gotten one, now...he no onger makes them, I'm afraid.

TCSS members Jedi Tom and Jo-Sten Mochi know what I'm talking about, as they were members of that old site as well.

sithlordfaust
05-24-2009, 02:16 PM
it wouldn't have to be like drill chuck perse but you could make one like a dremel Colet. IDK I think what you'd gain from not using a screw you'd lose in aesthetics in the ungainliness of the size

Jay-gon Jinn
05-24-2009, 02:23 PM
The ones that My buddy Tim did at were actually right in line with the scale of the sabers....I really wish I still had the pictures from their construction...lost them in a hard drive crash, though, before I had a photobucket account.

eastern57
05-24-2009, 03:40 PM
It's been discussed a few times in the past year+. Renders, diagrams, theory... all discussed indepth...

And, IIRC, it was such a hit that everyone uses them now... no wait... nevermind...

Novastar
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
It's not impossible. I used to bulls-eye wamprats back in Beggar's Canyon on Tattooine...

lol

Kal El Rah
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
You too Nova, never ran into you there.........................................

Tenric Starkindler
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
It's not impossible. I used to bulls-eye wamprats back in Beggar's Canyon on Tattooine...

lol

...They're not much bigger than 3 meters.

infa008
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
the collet holder idea is very possible but would require some type of machining or mechanical inginuity. I'm new to the saber scene and am making a saber with a collet blade holder. I was going to do a really complex holder with special angles and split threads and fit it all in a 3/4 inch area which would be only a half inch more space than a 1/4-20 screw but alot more holding power. However my coworker told me that i can just do it with pipe threads and the lightbulb went off. 1 inch pipe has a roughly one inch inside diameter and my blade is one inch thick. all i have to do is split the male threads and i have a cheap and effective collet. Yes I will custom machine the whole saber. I program CNC machines and will be using master cam but there should be a way to use the pipe thread without custom maching. I will post pictures when im done. hopefully this helps someone.

neophyl
10-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a sabre that uses a collet to hold the blade. Its one of my old EL sabres with a 3/4" blade though, its about 5 years old now. It holds the blade incredibly tightly, in fact you have to be very careful not to overtighten as it becomes very difficult to undo.