PDA

View Full Version : I SUCK :question

DougDimmadon
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey buddies...how is it going?
Weell....I'm here to ask you a question (really?)
So...I was just wondering something
well..I SUCK at everuthing about wiring, and solding, and mechanic and **** !
But I would like to know if I AM able to make I lightsaber in these SAD conditions....
And if I am able even to make a Hasbro Fx conversion....

So...am I? Considering I know **** about anything?

xD
I am planning on doing or A Darth Vader's saber...or a Luke's skywalker ROTJ saber...

Any Tips?
xD
Thank you

beggarsoutpost
05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes....

tullfan81
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Sometimes, when I'm feeling a little down on myself, like I can't do anything right, I just sit back and read the forums. There's usually a lot of information just laying out in front of me. After I've had a good, long read, I like to absorb all the new information. If I'm still down on myself, or still confused about something, then I'll take it to the flash chat for anyone who is listening. If all else fails, I usually search for the specific thing that is troubling me. Failing all of that, I'll start a new thread asking as specific a question as my talents will allow.

Have faith...everyone started somewhere...You think LDM, Nova, QGJ, and Do-Clo were all born with soldering irons for fingers?

Rhyen Skytracker
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Have faith...everyone started somewhere...You think LDM, Nova, QGJ, and Do-Clo were all born with soldering irons for fingers?

Sometimes I think they were. LOL

Just try to absorb as much as you can and learn from others mistakes. Sometimes that is the best way to learn. We only flame people because we don't want them to get hurt or fry expensive parts.

Jagahati
05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
These forums are not a friendly place for those who lack:

1.)Reading skills.
2.)The ability to use the search feature.
3.)Patience and a do-it-yourself attitude.

Do yourself a favor and cuddle up to the search feature and LEARN to do it. Instead of asking for others to hold your hand.

Other than that yes I fully believe you are quite capable of doing a conversion or making a custom light saber. Just read absorb learn and then do.

There is no try.*

*Sorry all couldn't stop myself.

Xoultrain
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Everything said is good advice. You can do it. These forums have an unbelievable wealth of knowledge. I know I haven't posted much, but I have learned a lot. i've been working on three sabers and couldn't have done any of it without the help of the search function, the build threads or just checking the posts to see what people are working on! This is a great (if not a bit pricey) hobby and a learning experience! Remember to have fun with it. After every failure is a triumph! Good luck. "Reach out with your feelings..."

DougDimmadon
05-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Thnaks dudes....im more secure now...
I just asked this cause i dont want to buy those parts in vain, you know.
Considering its gonna be EXTREME expensive to me....cause
1- i live in brazil...that means, shipping fee
2- Dollar is worth twice Real does...that means R$ 1,00 = US$ 2,00
3- Government i brazil LOVES taxes...so im gonna spend around 10% of the total of the lightsaber parts with taxes...
4- My english is good...but i'm no "american-born" guy...its still my second language and there are some words here that i really cry when i read them ! (dictionary Ownz o/)

Weelll but whatever....im gonna start looking for helping threads.
i Just dont want to spend R$ 650,00 in vain (according to my calculus)
x]
Thank you all :)

Jedi coral
05-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Be sure to read and learn. The satisfaction at the end of it is far greater if you get there yourself. If in doubt pm someone but read first. I have spent the last 4 weeks on here reading and only posting when something inspires me or is worth noting. To help with soldering get an old radio or something electronic and rip the wires out of it, then get a soldering iron and your solder and start practising. Good luck with it dude. You are only as good as you choose to be.
I may have not built a light saber like the ones shown here yet, but I have built props for around 7 years now. There is one thing that has always been the same, practise dose make perfect ....well better any way.

DJMoonbass
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
you dont want to be a ME

Lonewind
05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Review this post, it has some good info that will help you - What's in a saber? http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13634.0 :D

Barmic Rin
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Read, take your time, read again, practice your soldering on scraps of wire if you wanna build your confidence. And read again...

CAN A MOD MOVE THIS TO THE RIGHT FOLDER????

DougDimmadon
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
you dont want to be a ME

Whats a ME?

Kal El Rah
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
DJ, don't want to be like he was when he 1st started here.:twisted:

Kant Lavar
05-28-2009, 06:37 AM
And in case nobody's mentioned it yet, LDM's tutorial (see the link in my signature) is outstanding for folks who are just starting out. And if it makes you feel any better, it took me three tries to get it right, and I was starting out not knowing anything about electronics or soldering.

One resource which I found helped me some was Electronics for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Dummies-Gordon-McComb/dp/0764576607) - you might want to check around and see if you can find something like that where you live.

Lastly, I'd like to echo what the others said above about the search function: know it, love it, live it. Many a time I've had a question or idea, and some searching either on the forum search engine or on Google led me to the proper answers.