PDA

View Full Version : Design Idea for first MHS Saber

Lawrs1
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi all i would appreciate your opinions and comments on the design for my first MHS saber, any and all critisism welcome.
Sorry about the small pic

Darth_DevilGuy
05-19-2009, 01:52 PM
decent design, and a fairly simple build, though it will be kinda long.

Jedi-Loreen
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Yep, definitely gonna be long.

I find it sort of amusing that most people doing their first builds with the MHS Builder usually put their Covertec button upside down. :p

Fortunately, it's impossible to install it upside down. ;)

xl97
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
critisism: turn OFF thread hints in the MHS builder application.. :)

also, it does seem fairly long..

maybe a shorter extension piece? most 'average' sabers come in around 12 inches.. (sometimes a little over with shroud work)

Jonitus
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Honest criticism:

Not a fan of the design. It's long (14" by my estimation), and it doesn't look like the pieces you have there work together visually. It's nice to have the room available for installing whatever you want, but it can be a PITA as well.

Here's a couple designs using some of the same parts you have in your render. Check out how the length makes a big difference and how the elements flow together better. If you're spending money on the parts, make sure you're getting what you want, and that you'll be happy with it.

Lawrs1
05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the comments so far, as i stated in the first post all critisism is welcome, and i appreciate all that has been said, it is intially just an idea at the moment. So thanks to Jonitus for the additional ideas, also look forward to more comments as i refine my design before ordering anything.

Edit: How about opinions on this one

Jonitus
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Please don't take my criticism harshly. I'd just hate to see you order a bunch of parts, pay to have them shipped, pay the customs fees, then assemble the saber only to have "buyer's remorse" because you aren't happy with what you have. Play around with SaberBuilder some more and come up with a bunch of designs. Figure out what you like about them, then see if you can somehow incorporate some elements of those designs into one cohesive saber that doesn't turn out to be a furlong/hog's head/cubit long.

Lawrs1
05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Not taken harshly at all Jonitus, i wasn't 100% sure on the design which is why i asked for the opinions of people that have built saber already, because as you have said I did not wish to pay out all that money on something that it turned out I was not happy with.

Darth_DevilGuy
05-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd say the first of Jon's two designs would be an excellent first saber, I use a similar Pommel-hilt-choke-sled configuration in my builds (honestly it's the best general configuration IMO), it comes to about 12" and gives the choke point behind the handle which the choreographers and duelists here will tell you is great for spinning and sparring.

Hasid Lafre
05-19-2009, 05:08 PM
The OP's saber image will be about 13.45", which is fine for many.

Jedi Master Taka
05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
The general lengths of saber hilts have been taken from the length of the typical Katana handle, which is usually just under 12 inches. Thus most saber enthusiast regard anything over 12 inches as being to long. However it should be remembered that Miyamoto Musashi arguably the greatest swordsman of all time is known to have fought with handles between 13 and 15 inches long. It should also be noted that he created a style of swordsmanship which utilized both the long sword and companion sword simultaneously. So he was very capable of using his 13 to 15 inch grip one handed with devastating results. My point being, there is no “Right” size for a Saber handle. There is only what is right for you. If you like the look and feel of a longer handle, then go for it. Just remember that a longer handle may require some creative weighting strategies to make it a mobile as it’s smaller companions.

Sairon
05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd say Jontus' saber design #2, just looks original.

Hasid Lafre
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Here, try this one out for size, it uses a custom 6" section. I was actually going to use this design at one point but then I just put it in the pile of other saber designs.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1467/lawrs.png

cardcollector
05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with Sairon. I preferr a 11-12" hilt while my brother (who has the same build and hands as me) prefers a 6-7" hilt. It is entirely your choice!
Don't let someone else tell you that a saber is too long and then change it. They simply feel it is to long for THEM. It is YOUR saber, make it how you want it.

Sairon
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Thats why there's MHS, so you can change it!:)

B5813
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Hasid's rendition is sweet. If you think the length or your original is too long just change out the 7" main body for a 4" extention and get a switch hole drilled under the store service option. It will still be long enough to contain your electronics. I like your original design quite a bit. Never was a fan of that blade holder until I bought one for the current hilt I'm working on. It really is quite cool and I personally wouldn't change the first saber design you presented.