PDA

View Full Version : Import Tax rip off

Darth Sorn
05-19-2009, 05:11 AM
I can honestly say I hate this country how the hell can I get taxed on an order that is so small :mad: now I can't get my MHS parts cause I don't have the money.

Kureigu
05-19-2009, 05:27 AM
I hated the import charges on my saber too - but you have to pay them. It's all to do with importing services which are (theoretically) available in the UK. You're helping the UK economy - you should be proud to help pay off all of the debt we've incurred by bailing out the banks and funding MP's second homes...........:-x:roll:

Pullo
05-19-2009, 06:34 AM
I have had three orders from the store here, and have never been taxed on any of them. They were all small orders, under $99. I Brought a maul FX on e-bay from a guy in florida and got so shafted on the import tax I couldn't walk for a month. I sympathise. Still it's good to know that thanks to the tax you pay on the Saber parts "The right honorable lord uphisarse" can claim it as expenses when he next has his moat cleaned... :x

Sethski
05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
I feel your pain!

It's just one of those things living outside the USA where you have to bite the bullet and cough up - I collected an order from a while ago yesterday (delayed waiting for the US2.1 upgrade) - I was pretty flush when I made the order, my work finished since then, so £50 really stung me. :roll:

I hope you manage to raise the cash and collect your bits ASAP...

Do-Clo
05-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I feel your pain it is fustrating to know that you guys outside the US get shafted so bad on stuff by customs fees charges by your own country. I have sent repairs out and listed it as a repair and the cost of the repair and yet customs charges a import fee on the insured value instead of the cost of the repair. :(

chaos
05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
I feel your pain too.

I just got a letter from ParcelForce today asking for £17.30 (not to bad, I've had worse), £8.00 of it is their clearance fee the rest import tax.

This is what I don't get, I've been a customer of TCSS for years, up until the end of last year I only got charged import tax once or twice. But since December I've ordered three times, first was a subtotal of $94.34 which I got charged import tax. The second subtotal was $143.47 which I didn't get charged import tax. The last orders subtotal was $65.62 and I got charged import tax. How come the most expensive order didn't get charged but the smaller ones did?

bleach1977
05-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Last time I collected an order (a month or so ago) the girl at the parcelforce depot told me that parcels are selected at random to add charges to, but that these days pretty much nothing is getting through without charges.

Barmic Rin
05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I'v had one order from Tim taxed, my Ik from Don & (eventually) an MHS from ebay. It really is random.

Don, i'm sure you marked mine a 'light display piece' or something & they taxed the insured amount.

Still, generally cheaper to order straight from Tim as opposed to getting bits from JQlightsabers, as nice a guy as Daren is...

Darth_DevilGuy
05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I feel your pain it is fustrating to know that you guys outside the US get shafted so bad on stuff by customs fees charges by your own country. I have sent repairs out and listed it as a repair and the cost of the repair and yet customs charges a import fee on the insured value instead of the cost of the repair. :(

don't feel too bad, we're raping our own economy by not charging them.

Strydur
05-20-2009, 04:13 PM
don't feel too bad, we're raping our own economy by not charging them.

We do charge/get charged import tax...

Darth_DevilGuy
05-20-2009, 04:32 PM
We do charge/get charged import tax...
yeah but not as stringently, we also have a lot of loopholes for major manufacturers to get stuff by.

Honestly it is a pain in the butt for smaller businesses I know, but at least they're being fair by applying it across the board, I get stuff all the time and never get charged for import...

thejedilestat
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
i didnt get charged for my order from TCSS or my mace i got off ebay but i do feel bad for anyone that has had to pay but its all a part of the game

im going to try to save alil extra $ for my next order just incase

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm in Canada, and I seem to get hit about half the time. The Postie that delivers to me says that it's just a random thing. They just pull packages arbitrarily to hit for the extra fees.

Not much you can do about it.

mihunai
05-22-2009, 12:42 AM
same here. they rated 19 percent over the LED... which in turn, they rated 81 BUCKS!!!
thats still not as bad a 10 quickconnects, whith an apparent value of 101 BUCKS!!!

it is a total rip-off... those guys probably just look at it, go "HMmmm... $120" and move on...

mTm