PDA

View Full Version : Baena's first MHS! (It's pretty simple)

Baena
05-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi all!

I'm floored with how awesome MHS sabers can be.
When I saw the Qui Gon blade holders as available in the store, I knew I had to use it for my simple saber.

As soon as my freelance check comes in, I hope to submit this, hoping the blade holders don't sell out too fast! :D

I want to use a new light up button in the new box style that is currently sold out, so I did a "rough mock up" there using other parts for the switch.

I'm just after a clean, elegant weapon here for my first, I have an extra blue LuxV that I'll put in it, maybe some sound sometime down the road, either a USB2.1 or if I could ever score one, a crystal focus from erv. :)

It's a WIP!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/natebaertsch/My%20lightsabers/th_NextBLUElightsaber.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/natebaertsch/My%20lightsabers/?action=view&current=NextBLUElightsaber.jpg)

DarthHideous
05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Very nice and simple design. Elegant too. I like how you broke up the silver with some black accents. Sometimes all silver can get boring. It's always the parts you want that are sold out.

Can't wait to see build pics.

xl97
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
if you use the MHS builder.. you can actually use the parts the store offers..

using the CUSTOM saber builder may be mis-leadng as some of the parts are either made by other machinists, or do not exist at all..and were just created to be used in a mock-up (and then find a machinist to make it for you)

the MHS Builder may have the box you are looking for. (not sure if he uploaded/added the control boxes)

Im also un-clear on how you made that hilt? did you use a hilt piece and overlap extension pieces??????

You would have to get a blank hilt section and have time machine the exta grooves only in that area for you

Baena
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
My influences for this are a blend of prequel era, and original trilogy. I like the common silver and black look, most my favorite sabers are such. It's a little obi-wan, a little qui-gon, and a bit just my preferences.

@ xl97. I'm just using what's available on the MHS builder found at saberbuilder.com

That hilt is just a standard hilt (style 3 I think?), and in photoshop I did a quick overlay with a black powder coated version of the same hilt. So it's a custom powder coat job I'd have to talk to Tim about before I order. I'll also need to know if I can put a box(style 4) over that hole or get a custom order on that hilt section.

When I'm ready to buy, I'll be emailing him with these questions. ;)

xl97
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
your getting the connection

MHS Builder is the version that has ONLY MHS parts in it..

Custom Saber Builder is what I outlined above

www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder

DJMoonbass
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
thats really cool.... i love saber builder.... i think they should make an ipod/iphone app of it.... lol

xl97
05-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Does the iPhone even support FLASH? (I didnt think it did)

and it would be alot easier to port to mobile..then the iPhone platform..

DJMoonbass
05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
still.... having it mobile would be so cool...

Guardianofwinds
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
It looks awesome. But how did you get the Custom Saber builder to have the blade appear as an option. I can't seem to get that as well as a few others.. In fact the display for the saber builder is completely different. I wonder if has anything to do with me having a Mac? Anyway I can't wait until you pics up for this blade once it's finished. Good luck and may the Force be with you

xl97
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
LMAO...

seriously? go back and read the post(s)..

MHS BUILDER:
www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder

ONLY has MHS parts available in the store

CUSTOM SABER BUILDER:
www.saberbuilder.com

has MHS parts, a few other parts offered by other machinists, and 'fantasy' parts...that DO NO ESIST in real like..but are just renders. used in mock-up builds..and that can be used to commission a machinist to custom make it for you possibly.

Baena
05-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Yep, what xl97 said. :D

However, that Qui Gon style blade holder is available in the store, just not yet an option on the MHS builder (as well as a few other blade holders, the #4 box, the new illuminated buttons, etc. ;)

Guardianofwinds
05-14-2009, 04:07 AM
*facepalm* Thanks, although I feel like an idiot as of this moment.

Hasid Lafre
05-14-2009, 04:28 AM
I dont see the problem, looks like all standard mhs parts to me.

Baena
05-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I was thinking about the hilt body last night, Tim would know for sure, as I've never put together an MHS yet. But that hole might cause problems if I want the box on there instead.
So another option would be to use a 3" double female, with a male adapter and then custom mill the grooves onto a 4" or 5" double female.

Which then would facilitate a possible crystal chamber and chassis if I try to get creative down the road with the insides... ;)

That just might be a better option... :D

xl97
05-14-2009, 06:58 AM
they dont have to come with switch holes.. thats an extra option..

also.. this is not a standard hilt..

do-able, for sure..but not standard.. would need custom work from Tim..

Baena
05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh yeah, there's no doubt this is a custom.
And that's good to know about the hole! Thanks!

Except again, now my mind is leaning towards making the segmented piece a smaller double female extention vs. a whole hilt... ;)

Same look overall, I just like the idea of opening up the hilt in the middle if I eventually make a crystal chamber or something like that for it.

DJMoonbass
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
ive been starting some cad drawings on all of those fantasy parts in saberbuilder.... its fun

Baena
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I've updated my picture above with the actual MHS parts I want to use, so I've replaced the blade holder to show the correct # of grooves, and I've put in the correct box Style #4 with a blue button that I customized to look the way I hope my final saber will look. ;)

So, any idea where all the main body hilts went? Did Ultra snatch them all up for their new MHS stunt sabers they're doing? (which are very cool btw.)

Strydur, my freelance check is coming in soon, and I will be buying what I can for this saber SOON! Any idea when the main body hilts and box#4 will be back in stock? :D

wookieecrisp
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
That's a very nice hilt! I'm liking it! ;)