PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound emergency!

LordJaivus
05-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Good news, I finally got my US 2.1 back from ultra sabers. Bad news, while I was soldering the switch wires back onto the board my darned cat jumped up onto my shoulder and caused me to break off one of the solder pads. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I really don't want to spend another buck twenty for a new freaking board after having waited so long to get that board back in the mail.

Update:
Just so we're clear on what happened, the red circle indicates the location of the broken pad while the yellow arrow indicates the small silver eyelet that still exists on my board.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=718

Logan Cade
05-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Definitely going to need to see some pictures of the damage to help out with this one.

LordJaivus
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
i don't know, we'll have to wait a few hours to see. I took a brand new x-acto blade and attached a small strand of copper wire to the old trace and reattached the switch wire to that with some silicone based contact adhesive. Hopefully once that sets everything will work just fine. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Update:
Nope, didn't work. I'm clueless now.

Zook
05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
What I have done in the past for stuff I have worked on like that is to scrape off the trace that the pad connects to and solder to that directly. There may not be room for that though.

They make a trace repair pen or something (never seen or used one but have heard of them when I was looking at OCing a PC years ago) that may work as well.

I hope you get it fixed...it would stink to wait that long for it and then not get it working.

LordJaivus
05-10-2009, 05:46 AM
that's definitely something to look into. does anyone know if i might be able to attach the wire elsewhere to achieve use of the switch?

Eandori
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
does anyone know if i might be able to attach the wire elsewhere to achieve use of the switch?

I'm sure it can be... but that's difficult to say when we are only armed with a DMM to test continuity. My first thought would be to probe around the board while off to find out which other nodes that lead is tied to, using a continuity tester.

This is a place where a schematic of the board or some input from the developer would REALLY help.

LordJaivus
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, I don't even own a DMM anymore. I'm currently using a 1.5v alkaline batt wired in line with a 5mm led to test circuits. But schematics and/or a developer would definitely help.