PDA

View Full Version : blade lock-in ideas

sithhed
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry everybody about the stupid question.It wasn't in my mind that it was a noob question anyway.Heck,I haven't made my first saber yet.Go ahead, your able to laugh now.

Darth_DevilGuy
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
ok, you deserve everything that's going to be said...

I'll leave it at this...

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/darth_call/motivate/1241194377942.gif

Jay-gon Jinn
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Is this some kind of a joke? Or a trick question?

Roy's Blues
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Most of us like to use these:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/8-32-Thread-C43.aspx

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/Nailbunny375/facepalm2.jpg

Ingchao
05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Ain't nobody gonna point this nice noob to the proper link?
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow guys you let sithhed off easy. lol

Rhyen Skytracker
05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, I am speachless.

Lord Dottore Matto
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Sithhed here.Does anybody have any good Ideas on how to lock a polycarbonate LED blade to the hilt itself yet be able to put it on and take it off(oh and by the way have the lock in strong enough to take aheck of a beating)?

Wait, I have an idea...how about we drill a hole in the emitter, wait this is the good part...then we tap it so we can screw a screw into the hole, lets just call the screw a "set screw" or "blade retention" screw. Then let's screw that set screw into the hole and it just may hold the blade in the emitter. Wait what is a synonym for emitter in the MHS world??? Ah, wait I remember...Blade holder. Do you guys think that will work?:roll:

wallflores1469@aol.com
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
i think ldm might be on to something you might want to let tim in on that kernal of knowledge and this little guy is priceless http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/darth_call/motivate/1241194377942.gif

Jedi-Loreen
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
It works with EL blades, too! :rolleyes:

Do-Clo
05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/house-1.jpg

Darcy666
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Wait, hold up a sec. We use polycarbonate for saber blades? Geez, I thought they just emitted a beam of light. Boy is my face red. :rolleyes: Oh, that's right, we just use our Jedi/Sith powers to hold the blades in place. A little flying polyc never hurt anyone. Then again, it's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye. ;)

Lord Dottore Matto
05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
What? We're supposed to have 2 eyes????

Darcy666
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Not if we blind ourselves with our Luxeon LEDs

Lord Dottore Matto
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Not if we blind ourselves with our Luxeon LEDs

Ohhhh alright...a set screw it is then...:lol:

Tradeliphine
05-06-2009, 02:57 AM
devils advocate - perhaps he meant like twist and lock or some other/quicker method

Rhyen Skytracker
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Using a thumb screw as the retention screw is pretty quick. No tools required.

cardcollector
05-06-2009, 05:41 AM
This has got to be the greatest n00b question of all time!!!:rolleyes:

theJUDGE
05-06-2009, 08:37 AM
maybe he meant something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD0Gm5HKmGI ?

i found this on youtube and i looks like it is locked on in a manner that doesnt use retention screws, but i am new to sabers myself so maybe someone knows more about how this particular saber works. i agree that you cant get any easier than retention screws though, cheap and work great

Revan
05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
you all are acting like a bunch of angry children. give the dude a break. sure it's a ridiculously stupid thread to post......
but still you need to consider that some people are too eager to make these things, so they jump right in without reading the tutorials. just accept that there are ppl who don't think before they act. are you all Jedi or what? patience is a virtue. i'm mainly talking to all the "adults" who have spent a lot of time posting like thousands of posts on this forum....

lol even still he does kind of deserve it a little :cool:

xl97
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
you all are acting like a bunch of angry children. give the dude a break. sure it's a ridiculously stupid thread to post......
but still you need to consider that some people are too eager to make these things, so they jump right in without reading the tutorials. just accept that there are ppl who don't think before they act. are you all Jedi or what? patience is a virtue. i'm mainly talking to all the "adults" who have spent a lot of time posting like thousands of posts on this forum....

I think I see a bunch of 'spins' and 'horizontal thrusts' coming on...

ArkaiHalon
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM

This is the mildest noob initiation I've seen in a long time. So I don't comprehend the angry children comment.

Second, Jedi are fictitious creations, characters from a story. I don't believe anyone is fictitious here, so I don't think there are any Jedi. But there are some Sith.

Many of the "adults" who have "posted thousands" of responses have already answered this question. Multiple times. Yes I understand there are elevetybillion posts to read through. That's where CLEAR expression of the question comes in. If he's asking about a twist lock, then be specific as possible.

IF a person acts without thinking, they should not be educated to their error? That some one is "eager to jump in" with out reading the tutorials pose a liability. Being over eager in this hobby can result in serious, and possibly permanent injury (Lux III and other similar LED are class 2 laser devices, and as such can cause serious injury to the eye). Same with a blade that comes flying loose due to improper retention. Giant piece of poly c tubing sticking out of my eyesocket is a little painful to think about.

So, when someone that HAS been around chastised me to slow down, read, and learn, I stopped to think that maybe it's not because I'm an idiot, but that maybe, just maybe, they want to see me stick around for a while.

Even if it is to pick on me some more.

Revan
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
lol don't get me wrong. i have no problem with everybody being a little annoyed. i just don't want any bad flaming to happen. no body likes that ;) we're all noobs at one point.

And i am well aware that jedi are fictitious.

Defectuous
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
And i am well aware that jedi are fictitious.

blasphemer !!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Revan
05-06-2009, 02:06 PM
blasphemer !!!!!!!!!!!

:p

lol good one

cardcollector
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM

You make a very good point.;)

But how is someone supposed to learn without being taught?
Wouldn't it be better to learn a lesson like- "researching before asking" (very good for applying for jobs.) in a fun place like these forums??

I never get mad at the people who ask questions like this, I just try to help them out and give them life lessons to learn from.8)

Revan
05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
sure cardcollector. to me that's what it's all about. learning and having fun :)

Lord Dottore Matto
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
In case you guys missed it, I spelled the answer out for him. It happened to be cloaked in a humorous parable, but I thought it was rather good natured. I think some folks need to just loosen up a little. If anyone cannot tolerate a tongue-in-cheek response, then they need to toughen their adult diapers a little more!:wink:

DJMoonbass
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
damn.... Sithed stole my thunder LOL.
i just got an idea of a blade lock screw.... take a machined large diameter screw that has a pin and a spring on the inside. okay.... then have a small hole the size of the pin on blade itself... now to remove the blade you twist the pin nob and pull. then remove the blade. then to put the blade back in you just push the blade in and it locks.

the only problems is that you would have to have the exact measurement of where the blade meets the bottom so you have a securely locked blade. as for making sure you have the blade going in correctly (so the hole and pine line up.) have an extruding slot in the blade holder and a milled slot in the blade.... then just slide it in.

now my question... do you think this will work and if so, should i try and draw up a 3D prototype on inventor? it would take some serious time but i think it would be the best way to give back to the community....

let me know what you think... also some designing help would be awsome! :D:wink:

Rhyen Skytracker
05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
damn.... Sithed stole my thunder LOL.
i just got an idea of a blade lock screw.... take a machined large diameter screw that has a pin and a spring on the inside. okay.... then have a small hole the size of the pin on blade itself... now to remove the blade you twist the pin nob and pull. then remove the blade. then to put the blade back in you just push the blade in and it locks.

the only problems is that you would have to have the exact measurement of where the blade meets the bottom so you have a securely locked blade. as for making sure you have the blade going in correctly (so the hole and pine line up.) have an extruding slot in the blade holder and a milled slot in the blade.... then just slide it in.

now my question... do you think this will work and if so, should i try and draw up a 3D prototype on inventor? it would take some serious time but i think it would be the best way to give back to the community....

let me know what you think... also some designing help would be awsome! :D:wink:

I don't think you should have a slot put in the blade, just a hole that is just a tad larger than the pin. You can just twist the blade until it lines up with the spring loaded pin in the blade holder and the pin would just slide in place.

DJMoonbass
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
but then the blade would be tooo wably... it needs to be secure.... hmmm i thought of that but i know it would be to wably.

Barmic Rin
05-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't believe anyone is fictitious here.

PHEW!!!! Thank jeebus for that!!

Blade securing methods have been discussed this many times:

http://churchfun.com/images/wp/xray.jpg

And apart from love, those retentions screw that sly old fox LDM subtely hid in his post are the best method. Twist & locks are impractical & expensive on the ultra rare occasions they've worked.

Also, what's wably?

sithhed
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Is this some kind of a joke? Or a trick question?
I don't know if I am saying this in a rude way but I have been on this site for nearly a year yet I have not made a single lightsaber.

wallflores1469@aol.com
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't know if I am saying this in a rude way but I have been on this site for nearly a year yet I have not made a single lightsaber.

why is that
not even a stunt nothing not even a flashlight with some cellophane nothing some one git this guy 5cc's of medechlorines he needs some force

Rhyen Skytracker
05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with Barmic Rin and LDM. The best way to keep the blade in place is to use a blade retention screw. As for not making a saber yet, we all had to take our first steps to make a saber. Just make sure you have the basics down and go for it.

Lord Dottore Matto
05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry everybody about the stupid question.It wasn't in my mind that it was a noob question anyway.Heck,I haven't made my first saber yet.Go ahead, your able to laugh now.

Man, don't get discouraged with it, you just need to jump in. You would be amazed how clear things become once you have actually made even a simple stunt saber!;)

Kal El Rah
05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
PHEW!!!! Thank jeebus for that!!

Blade securing methods have been discussed this many times:

http://churchfun.com/images/wp/xray.jpg

And apart from love, those retentions screw that sly old fox LDM subtely hid in his post are the best method. Twist & locks are impractical & expensive on the ultra rare occasions they've worked.

Also, what's wably?

12 digit hands,, great find,, O'h and what everybody else said:roll:

Darth_Dadderall
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Twist & locks are impractical & expensive on the ultra rare occasions they've worked.

Also, what's wably?

I think he meant wobbly.

Can you cite that about tnl systems being all that you say? It seems the hardest part would be cutting the notches on the base of the blade tube. Drill and tap two holes opposite each other (or go all the way through if you want to be sure), screw in two set screws with a fixative/adhesive so they don't come loose to a set depth (say, 1/8 to 1/4 inch inside of the holder), cut and sand until they're flush with the exterior. Doesn't sound all THAT hard, provided you have the proper tools. The real pain would be accurately cutting the notches in the blade tube, but with a clamp, dremel and a steady hand this too could be achieved. Is there something I'm not taking account for?

$tarkiller
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
So, is the answe to the initial question yes??? :confused::confused:;)

FenderBender
09-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't think anyone has debated that its possible. I think what the "Old Guarde" mentality is bringing up is WHY!?

K. I. S. S.

Sometimes simple just plain works better. A set screw properly placed on a snug blade is NOT GOING ANYWHERE, and its still easy and quick to detach/re-attach.

The idea is almost like a solar powered flashlight. Impractical, and redundant.

Ambo
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
It is really good to see you all havn't lost your zeal....true this has been mild....but we don't want to scare them all off......

Anyone that debates the berating for simple NooB questiosn speak up....please...maybee you can be nominated for the "Simple Question Answerer" job....after a while you too will show sarcasm....