PDA

View Full Version : Always-'ramping' 'chase' pulsation effect for future driver boards

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I posted this on Ervs future CF thread but I want to open it up for consideration by all driver board makers whose products offer a 'ramping' effect...howabout for a future version making a setting that will change the 'ramping' effect so that as soon as the effect 'ramps up' to full brightness [length, with the proper corbin-style blade] instead of then staying 'on' continuously, or flickering, it would instantly turn itself 'off'...then immediately start ramping again...etc etc etc...so that the blade was ALWAYS ramping, cyclically...with this effect switched on.

The idea would be to get a sort of 'chase light' type pulsation running from the base towards the tip repetitiously...kinda like seen with some crystals in the Force Unleashed game.

Might take some experimentation with various timings to get it most visible but I think that would be a VERY cool special effect for ANY soundcard or driver.

Kal El Rah
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
On the firmware update for CFSC 4.2, Erv is working on making the blade pulse during ignition as opposed to brite then flicker.:p

Novastar
04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
...making a setting that [truncated] would instantly turn itself 'off'...then immediately start ramping again...etc etc etc...so that the blade was ALWAYS ramping, cyclically...with this effect switched on.

This is already implemented in v4 (I'm certain of it), and also in some versions of v3 as well (I believe).
You affect the following values:

flkrs (0-20) = low #s are a subtle flicker, higher #s are lots of variation and randomness

flkrd (0-500) = low #s are subtle skips/digs into the current, high numbers dig DEEP into the current, almost shutting the blade off at times

flkrp (0-100)= low #s create a faster, small pulse within the current, high #s create a slower, deeper pulse within the current

NOTE: Some versions of v3 had firmware issues with this--the variable was accidentally configured incorrectly, and you will get strange results if the value exceeds 30 or so... and even for 0-30 it can be unpredictable.

flkrg (0-50) = low #s make smoother granularity in the CHANGE of the pulse... in other words, the current goes from 1000 to 999, 998, 997, etc. during pulses... whereas high #s cause the gradation CHANGE to be larger, such as 1000 to 960 to 920 to 880, etc. etc.

I hope any of that makes sense. It sounds complex I know, but... this is the general idea of what allows CF to have such great control over the current. You can quite literally do most ANYTHING with the light subtleties--I'm not kidding.

Especially with the implementation of flicker PLUS pulse since v4 or what not. I suggested this to Erv where the user could have a flickering, "random" looking energy... yet ALSO have the blade "pulsing" throughout that. :) It's freakin' AWESOME, since the blade truly looks 100% alive with those two running. Even if both are subtle!

Finally (as mentioned), I had been suggesting to Erv that we allow the flicker options to carry through to poweron and poweroff. Now... OBVIOUSLY the "pulse" options aren't needed for p-on & p-off: we're already ramping down or up!! :D But the flicker options could certainly be cool... especially for something like "Ancient Saber".

Anyhow. Hope it helps.

:)

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Novastar! :-)

I wish I had a CF yet so I could plug those parameters in...does it look like the movie marquee style 'chase' effect as in this TFU video at the 0:59, 1:07, 1:17 and 1:33 and particularly at the 2:14 second marks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqCgbq9hEvM

That would be a great way to get the "compressed crystal" effect on a Starkiller saber but I think it would look cool on any saber...I can see it being perhaps even more easily implemented on LED string drivers if Hasbro ever makes a Starkiller saber or maybe by Makoto but I think it would be great addition to any board to have a 'compressed crystal' chase pulsation effect...I guess I shouldnt be surprised Erv already thought of it...Erv's Da Man for sure!

...I really hope my luck changes with the summer run of the CF because it seems its not only cooler than I imagined but perhaps cooler than I can imagine eh? :-)

Novastar
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
That is a video game, and much like the film technique of rotoscoping, the possibilities for doing lighting effects are nearly endless... ... yet completely not based in reality most of the time!

Doing any kind of "marquee" style pulsing would probably only work with "LED array" style sabers. I would ask Mako if he could look into doing such a thing, as I imagine he'd want to play with his lighting settings someday.

As for a (generally) "single high-output LED" style saber... it would be totally impossible to generate the effect that you're explaining. Or... if it IS possible with the "Luxeon style" setup... it's not only unlikely in today's market... it'd be outrageously expensive.

Thaxos
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Well, looking at the video, what you'd need to do is have a string of LEDs run at stock voltage, or slightly under, and then increase the voltage of individual sections to brighten and then return them to their previous state.
The theory is there, someone just has to put the control aspect of the lighting and dimming of LEDs into practice.
Would be very awesome to see! My money's on Mako on getting this project done. ;)