PDA

View Full Version : From sci fi to sci fact

Col-mar
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
just saw this (http://news.aol.com/article/solar-storm-warning/437777?icid=main|aimzones|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fn ews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fsolar-storm-warning%2F437777)when I logged in to AIM.

Prepare now.

Darth Cipher
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Its no good worrying about such an event, theres not much you can do about it unless you plan on building a bomb shelter...there are all kinds of dooms day scenarios that could strike Earth at any time (worst they get the less of a warning we will have in general). Just live it up and love life. Since I study life I learn about what can destroy it...sooo we have much bigger things to worry about...such as golbal climate change....

cardcollector
04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
...such as golbal climate change....

Is that a joke? You know it isn't real:rolleyes:

Kant Lavar
04-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Not to worry. I know a guy already working on it...

http://tigeryogiji.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/tennant_2.jpg

MasterRoop
04-22-2009, 07:04 AM
this sounds to weird to be real.... but they are the sceintist. so..... who knows what will happen. But Darth Cipher is right. there is really nothing we can do. so just dont worry about it. but cool find!

samurai_rob
04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
"Don't Worry, I'm a Doctor." LOL I hope he has Cpt. Jack with him. :D

Darth Cipher
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Is that a joke? You know it isn't real:rolleyes:

no joke...the inaccurate name is global warming...the ocean is steadily getting warmer causing climate around the world to begin to change...the pole are feeling it the most.

Mi Gin Gonn
04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
i'm such a misanthrope, if a doomsday-sized asteroid is ever gonna hit the earth (which'll happen eventually), i'll be rooting for the asteroid.

Tom Starkiller
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Actually, over the last 50 years, the Sun's activity has reduced.

And the Doctor will save us. :P He's more real than "global warming".

Malaki Skywalker
04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Actually, over the last 50 years, the Sun's activity has reduced.

And the Doctor will save us. :P He's more real than "global warming".

He's more real then rocking horse poo :P

Kal El Rah
04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
If the Sun is slowing down, how much? Solar Storms that are strong enough to penetrate the Ionisphere will destroy anything that is electronic(That's why I have an old VW in my driveway, no computer, no problem and cash in a safe at home). An large enough Asteroid is known as a Planet Killer(nothing will survive) even if it was small , the dust kicked up will result in a new Ice Age because the dust would block out the Sun. But with all the things that are happening now days, We may do ourselves in long before we should worry about outside of our control situations.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Zero Unit
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Not to mention humans can adapt very well...so, should the asteroid be small enough to not incinerate every living thing on the planet and just merely be an ice age, we could adapt with hydroponics, etc.

Also, EMP hardening can pretty much make this concern of solar storms null and void; it's just that the government doesn't want to spend the money to overhaul the power grid.

Nightwing
04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
This has always been a danger; that article is a little misleading. The same thing could happen to any other country on the planet, not just the U.S.

Col-mar
04-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Nightwing, you're right. It does say so on the CBS version of the article. But such an event is a few years off but also already happened in the past.

What meant by be prepared is for the yahoos who will burn a pillage the rest of the globe. It does't hurt to have a plan to keep you and yours safe from such people.

My main consern is given the current social unrest in this country, a solar storm of that magnitude would cause an opportunity for a new cival war, and if that does happen, that's why I will be prepared.

Of course being a country boy, I could survive it no issue.:D

Angelus Lupus
04-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll be safe. Hollywood has taught me that civilisation-destroying asteroids only ever hit the USA. All the UK gets is the occasional alien invasion in Wales. :D

JaylinDakaal
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
A side note on "global warming". Right now as the oceans get warmer, they cause the ice caps to melt, but, the fresh water is less dense than the salt water, the result is that the cool fresh water never sinks into the ocean to be naturally heated and circulated in the currents. We just end up with this level of water that doesn't really do anything but float around. So basically once so much of the ice caps have melted the planet will naturally start to cool off again. We just have a tendency to speed these processes up a little bit.

Nightwing
04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
My main consern is given the current social unrest in this country, a solar storm of that magnitude would cause an opportunity for a new cival war, and if that does happen, that's why I will be prepared.

Of course being a country boy, I could survive it no issue.:D
Heh. I live in Texas; we ARE our own army. :D

Zero Unit
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I'll be safe. Hollywood has taught me that civilisation-destroying asteroids only ever hit the USA. All the UK gets is the occasional alien invasion in Wales. :D

And you have Torchwoods One and Three to count on to repel that...:p.

Across the pond, we have nutters with shotguns who manage to repel the invasion because aliens were dumb enough to steal their booze...