PDA

View Full Version : My next MHS hilt seems a little plain...any ideas?

samurai_rob
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
OK, i just put this together and I like it, but it seems a little plain to me. I'm at work now, so I don't have a pic of the actual saber, but here is the saber builder mock-up. I'm wanting a sith style saber - it has a lux 3 red led and a hasbro vader sound board until I get another US to go in it - and it just feels like something's missing. I'm leaning toward doing a flat black PC on the whole saber, using red instead of black o-rings on the center grip, and adding a silver control box type 2 just for looks. What do you guys think? Any ideas on what is lacking?

BTW, the name I'm leaning toward is "Vengeance."

samurai_rob
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Here is my idea for the finished version. (I couldn't get both attachments to load on the first post):roll:

What do you think?

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Humm, Iam not feeling the orings or the box, have you thought about a shroud?

mihunai
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
ditch the big switch and go for a red Vandal. or put a witch in the control box...
a retention screw would allso help.
just one more thing, id place the CT button to the right of the control box.
seen from above, South-control box East-CT button

mTm

samurai_rob
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I've thought about a shroud, but my dremel skills are lacking and I've had a hard time working up a pattern that I like. As to the switch, I have a switch hole already milled in so I'm kinda stuck with the placement. I've thought of trying to put a micro tactile switch in the box, but haven't worked it out, yet. As to the vandal switch, I'm not familiar with that type. Can some one enlighten me? :)

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
They are in the store, but alone they are to long for the mhs sections, you need to raise them up, Now if you get a non illuminated momentary version they they will fit just fine. Only thing is the switch hole is huge, 16mm IIRC, which isent bad but I would deffinatly want a vice and a drill press to make the standard hole larger.

B5813
04-21-2009, 06:39 PM
ArkaiHalon did a hilt that was high gloss black with red highlights. Look for a pic of it if you can. It's quite a stunning look with those colors.

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I would black powdercoat the emitter, leave the choke silver, black powdercoat the grooved section with red o rings as you say, leave the plain section silver, black powder coat the pommel...in other words alternate the black/silver. alternatively powdercoat the silver sections as above in copper powdercoat. I'd also consider adding either black t-grips to the rear section or perhaps a black leather or rayskin grip. Just my opinions...good luck!

B5813
04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd build it just as you've shown in your second(black) render. It's an attractive design but not over the top. Solid black hilt with that red lux shining bright... sweet. It shouldn't be hard to put together.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6328&highlight=vyper

Check this link to Arkai's saber Vyper. Doesn't that gloss black look stunning? My favorite part are the two red wires coming off the box into the hilt.

samurai_rob
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks, B5! That is totally BAAADD@$$! Does anyone know what he used for the red rings? Are those just the red o's? They seem to really stand out! That is very similar to what I was going for. I have the basic saber already together and working and it feels great in the hand so I don't want to do too much to it to cause it to loose that lovely balance. Here is a pic I just snapped with my camera (pardon the background - it's my dog's bed ;)) Anyway, my next major choice will be whether to go with my original idea of flat black or to kick it up a notch and do the gloss (Man! It does look sharp!). I my original plan was to alternate between black and silver, but I thought it looked better all black. It also had the MHS gear incorporated into the blade holder/choke area, but I ended up not having room for my electronics and had to go with a 5" DBL female instead of my original 4" and felt it was too long with the gear. So what do you think? This will be the first PC I've ever had done, so I really don't know what the finished product will look like. I know pics can't really do it justice, so I'm looking for opinions. Flat or Gloss?

DarthHideous
05-04-2009, 07:03 AM
I think Flat Black is a better look in my opinion. Keep your ribbed extension section silver with the O-rings. That would break up the constant black. Your saber looks similar to mine. I chose to make mine a little longer to give it a longsword feel. Nice work.