PDA

View Full Version : Tcss diffuser with thin walled poly?

samurai_rob
04-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I've been wondering about this. Anyone tried it or know if it'll even work? I've only used pre-built blades and noticed that the tcss battle blade uses it with a thick walled poly. Would the thin walled be brighter? I've only used the film before and have never been completely happy with it. Would like it to be brighter and with a more defined core. I'm in the market for a new blade and am wondering if I should try making my own.

Lord Maul
04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Corbin film will work fine in a thin walled blade. Using the TCSS nylon diffuser will not.

Ideal
04-17-2009, 08:43 PM
due to the diffuser being made to fit inside the thickwall, it wont be big enough fit properly inside the thinwall. it would be all loose and rattle around inside

samurai_rob
04-18-2009, 06:00 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never had one of the tcss diffusers in hand before and didn't know what the difference was in diameter. Never hurts to ask, though. Thanks.

Hey, just had an idea: has anyone ever tried wrapping it with the diffuser film to get it to fit? I wonder what the effect would be. Anyone think it's worth the trouble to try?

vargose
04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
3/4" PEX pipe from you local hardware store works as a good diffuser for thin walled polycarbonate.

Its outer diameter is 7/8" so it will fit great in thin walled polycarbonate

Hasid Lafre
04-20-2009, 09:02 AM
You could get some clear gift wrap, rool up about 5 foot of it and stick it inside the corbin film.

Novastar
04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never had one of the tcss diffusers in hand before and didn't know what the difference was in diameter. Never hurts to ask, though. Thanks.

Hey, just had an idea: has anyone ever tried wrapping it with the diffuser film to get it to fit? I wonder what the effect would be. Anyone think it's worth the trouble to try?It's not a bad idea... it's inexpensive and easy to try, so... you wouldn't be losing much (if anything really) even if the entire thing failed badly and somehow didn't improve the lighting or if it didn't maintain what the TCSS more solid diffuser alone would achieve.

So... I say--sure, go for it! Heck... I've tried at least 6 or 7 different "new" ideas on diffusion over 2006 to the present... all of which have failed miserably. But--no shame in this. Also, it's not like I spent more than (let's say) $10 of effort + materials + time combined to have a glimpse of the effect. :)

samurai_rob
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Nova! I may just do that. I need a new blade and was thinking of making my own this time instead of ordering one of the finished ones, so I may give that a try. Does anyone know what the ETA is on the TCSS Diffusers? They're out of stock right now.