PDA

View Full Version : What Thickness PolyP do You use for Your blades?

Kal El Rah
04-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi All

what thickness of polyp do you all use,,,,1.0 mil or 1.2 mil?

Thanx in advance.

Darth Leximus
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I can't really see that small of a difference having any noticeable effect. I don't have the packaging for mine anymore or I'd let you know what it is, just a roll of plastic on a tube now.

Jedi-Loreen
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I have no idea, the wrapper mine was in has been gone for a long time.

Whatever it is that they sell at Micheal's for gift wrap.

Does it really matter much? I suppose you'd use a little less with the thicker wrap, but I doubt there's much difference for what we are using it for here.

Darth Leximus
04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Wow it's like we are sharing one mind....spooky

cannibal869
04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Agreed, I don't think it's the thickness of the polypropylene, but rather how much of it you use that is the key.

Novastar
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
It's good to "echo" an answer so that future onlookers can be pretty certain of things.

I haven't noticed a difference with using slightly different films--and I'm CERTAIN all of mine have been different, because I've gotten them from all over the place... sometimes at dollar stores... sometimes a "big roll" online... sometimes at craft stores. So I'm certain they cannot be IDENTICAL.

However--no noticeable effect was rendered.

We HAVE discovered though... that sometimes the brightness or shade of color can be altered by the wrap-style film. You don't want to use too much unless you're actually cool with slightly "darkening" the shade of color.

Some colors react better with less film too... but again--it's all pretty insignificant.

Kal El Rah
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Thank You all for your responses.

xwingband
04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
If you have the choice I'd go for thinner. But a mil is 1/1000". So the difference will be so little it's a joke.

Eandori
04-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Hmmm, I have to wonder if using a thicker wrap on the inside would diminish the crinkle on bend effects yet still give the even blade look we all love...

Kal El Rah
04-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Hmmm, I have to wonder if using a thicker wrap on the inside would diminish the crinkle on bend effects yet still give the even blade look we all love...

This is why I was asking............

xwingband
04-18-2009, 09:51 PM
It would to a degree... but if you knock i hard enough that it sticks, there's no way it would come undone without a new wrap. I got the effect with much thicker mylar, but too thick and it's such a pain to wrap.

silverclown
04-22-2009, 07:04 AM
I am planning on a build. I just dont know how long the blade should be. 36" or longer, any ideas?

cardcollector
04-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the forums Silver clown.:D

You will find very quickly that pretty much every question you have is already Answered. You should really learn to use the search function because it will save you from getting flamed.

For example... It took me about 45 seconds to find this.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3975

Your reputation here is gained by how much you do by yourself and by how much advice you can give.

So have fun and...READ, READ, READ.

silverclown
04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the forums Silver clown.:D

You will find very quickly that pretty much every question you have is already Answered. You should really learn to use the search function because it will save you from getting flamed.

For example... It took me about 45 seconds to find this.
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3975

Your reputation here is gained by how much you do by yourself and by how much advice you can give.

So have fun and...READ, READ, READ.

InDeed... Thanks for the welcome and sorry bout not searching I just popped in and saw the link for the blade and jumped on it. but im good till my saber comes in.