PDA

View Full Version : My saber! Hopefully!

Raiden Nar
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi again.
Ok so you guys may have read my other post, but im still not clear on everything like, do i need to buy a thumbscrew, and what stuff do i need to make the saber, as in tools im only 15 but my bro can help.
Heres my parts list and my sink tube saber picture.

1.25 x12 inch chrome sink tube
1.25 sink tube LED blade holder
16. black o-rings (optinal)
Build your own lux 3 electronics (green)
1" Thick walled Polycarbonate 40"
40" LED blade diffuser
Shouldered 1" thick walled blade tip with reflective disc
1-1/8" crome end cap

Well it wont let me upload the picture so its a basic sink tube saber with the 1.25 x12 inch chrome sink tube with the 1.25 sink tube holder, but i realy need help and i need and In-depth tutorial, i do, do reasearch.

So i hope you guys can help!!!
Raiden Nar out!

p.s this is what it comes up with when i try to upload my pic
Manage Attachments
Upload Errors
Saber2.jpg:
This PNG image has the incorrect file extension

DJMoonbass
04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
oh hey. as regard to your file problem. if you have a photobucket account (most of us do as it works so flipppin awesome!) you use the img link that comes up when you highlight the picture. its the bottom on. copy and paste in the box that comes up when you select the image insert. just remember to delete the HTML thing...

as for your saber. yes you need a thumb screw, how else will the blade stay in the holder? you can buy a drill and tap off of tcss or you can have TIM drill and tap it for you.

if you arent using sound. i would highly suggest a buckpuck (sold on TCSS). it drives the LED way better! and also if you wanted to go brighter but still work with the same electronics you have. buy a Cree Xre green (Or seoul P4) Seriously they are amazing!!!!. the are really fricken bright and run off way low current. but you would need a buck puck to drive it.

edit* also be sure you have a heatsink. i dont know if the heat sink comes with the kit or blade holder or not.

Jedi-Loreen
04-10-2009, 01:57 PM
DJ, if you looked in the Store, you would see that every blade holder comes with a heat sink and nylon screws to hold the LED onto it. :roll:

And, you might want to hold off on some of all but the most basic advice, till you've actually built a few sabers, and seen a few different LEDs for yourself.

Ri-on Ozryel
04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
oh hey. as regard to your file problem. if you have a photobucket account (most of us do as it works so flipppin awesome!) you use the img link that comes up when you highlight the picture. its the bottom on. copy and paste in the box that comes up when you select the image insert. just remember to delete the HTML thing...

as for your saber. yes you need a thumb screw, how else will the blade stay in the holder? you can buy a drill and tap off of tcss or you can have TIM drill and tap it for you.

if you arent using sound. i would highly suggest a buckpuck (sold on TCSS). it drives the LED way better! and also if you wanted to go brighter but still work with the same electronics you have. buy a Cree Xre green (Or seoul P4) Seriously they are amazing!!!!. the are really fricken bright and run off way low current. but you would need a buck puck to drive it.

edit* also be sure you have a heatsink. i dont know if the heat sink comes with the kit or blade holder or not.

Take note Darth Zadin, THIS is YOUR Master.....lol!!

xl97
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
DJ, if you looked in the Store, you would see that every blade holder comes with a heat sink and nylon screws to hold the LED onto it. :roll:

And, you might want to hold off on some of all but the most basic advice, till you've actually built a few sabers, and seen a few different LEDs for yourself.

Im still waiting to see 'his' version of hows mounting his LED..etc..etc

with the hilt & blade holder all being one piece and what not.. :shock:

Raiden Nar
04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the replys, how would i drill a hole for the button and secure it in place? And what drill bits do i need?

edit* how do i get Tim to do it?

Jedi-Loreen
04-11-2009, 12:45 AM
What button are you talking about? :confused:

If you look in the Store, there's a section called Services, this is where you ask for things like drilling and tapping to be done for you.

The kind of questions you're asking tell me that you are not ready to actually build a saber yet.

You need to go do LOTS more reading before you attempt it.

Raiden Nar
04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Oops i ment the switch sorry.
And i am ready i just need to know what tools to use.

Thaxos
04-11-2009, 09:16 AM

If you look at the switch dimensions, you can figure out what size hole you need.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

This really depends on the switch you're using. Are you using the standard one in the Lux III kit, or the guarded switch?

The standard switch requires a 3/8" diamter hole. The guarded style need about a 1/2" hole, to use the retaining nut on the bottom. I usually drill a 7/16" hole and just force it in when I use those switches.

Sairon
04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Just something to add, your render is incorrect, the 1.25 bladeholder goes inside the sinktube so you would not see it.

Raiden Nar
04-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Thank you for all the replys.

As you might know i was going to purchase a saber today, but my parents said its a waste of money, and its babyish, so i dont think i will ever get to buy one.
So i going to love you and leave you.

GoodBye People keep it up!!!:(

Zook
04-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you for all the replys.

As you might know i was going to purchase a saber today, but my parents said its a waste of money, and its babyish, so i dont think i will ever get to buy one.
So i going to love you and leave you.

GoodBye People keep it up!!!:(

Should have pitched it to them as a collectibles.

Raiden Nar
04-12-2009, 09:24 AM
i did but they read the FAQs and read that they had no sound and its diffrent from a force fx so!

Thaxos
04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
i did but they read the FAQs and read that they had no sound and its diffrent from a force fx so!

Just wait it out until you're 18. Then they really can't do anything about it, you're legally responsible for your own money.
12 days left for me haha!
If you seriously can't wait that long, just bring it up every so often. Eventually you can wear em down. Find some points to argue it, for example, you could use it in any movies you film, if there's a group of lightsaber enthusiasts nearby, a Halloween costume, etc.
You just need to find the right points to debate it with.

Tradeliphine
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
whether they have sound or not is up to whether you decide to add it or not, and they are the epitome of collectible as even when using MHS parts every saber is essentially unique. Tell them that you think they are right, you should not waste any time or money on a constructive hobby that teaches you art, design, science, electronics, trade skills, and produces an item that encourages physical activity. They should focus their money on getting you cookies, soda, and letting you play video games inside all day, thank them for their good judgment. ;)

Raiden Nar
04-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey thanks for the help guys.
The club thing worked, so did the thing about it teachers you electronics and stuff YAY im ordering it SATURDAY!!!!!

Hasid Lafre
04-16-2009, 05:57 AM
IAm just wondering why this is in the how to build section?

DJMoonbass
04-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Im still waiting to see 'his' version of hows mounting his LED..etc..etc

with the hilt & blade holder all being one piece and what not.. :shock:

You do realize I have been taking engineering, computer design and machining classes since my freshmen year don't you. Believe Me my design will work. Its just a matter of machinng it. I just haven't had time cuz C N C hasn't allowed. Enough time to get on a regular lathe.

And open shop is right in the middle of school.

xl97
04-16-2009, 10:24 AM
yes I do realize that.. you've practically mentioned it in almost all 499 posts you made on the forums...

however I still dont understand why you just dont make threaded pieces since you have access to all this equipment and "have been taking engineering, computer design and machining classes since your freshmen year"

Invisas1979
06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
whether they have sound or not is up to whether you decide to add it or not, and they are the epitome of collectible as even when using MHS parts every saber is essentially unique. Tell them that you think they are right, you should not waste any time or money on a constructive hobby that teaches you art, design, science, electronics, trade skills, and produces an item that encourages physical activity. They should focus their money on getting you cookies, soda, and letting you play video games inside all day, thank them for their good judgment. ;)

Ha ha ha. Brilliant, the best argument I have ever heard. If my girlfriend ever tries to question my hobby... Oh yeah I'll show her, followed by a vapaad decapitation technique.

Oh and on a more constructive note, although the fx stuff is good for basics, the mhs sabers and other custom produced sabers are far better.

The fx sabers i'm using I'm gutting for parts to learn with before using more serious material.