PDA

View Full Version : Kobold D-Ring question

revjedisteve
04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
new to register to the forums here; I've read them forever when I had an issue with the sabers I've built or modified, but never registered. Don't know Why...

Probably a stupid question but I'll ask the same:
Will any of the cards (preferably the bubble) fit in the groves of the Kobold D-Ring?
I noticed it had the groves but I can't for the life of me find how big the thing is. I'm sure I'll likely have to trim the length, but I've googled the heck out of it. and can't find the width of it. What a nice touch that would be a bubble card on the belt clip.
anyone who knows please tell me.
Thanks

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Welcome to the TCSS forums revjedisteve...and that's not a stupid question at all.

I have the Kobold D-ring and the bubble strip and just tried it...the bubble strip wont fit in 'stock' form...but IF you trimmed off the plain edges that extend out from the center part that has the bubbles it MIGHT be possible to fit it...you might have to sand/file the side of the bubbles a teeny bit at the bottom of each 'dome' but it looks like perhaps it could BARELY fit and would have 5 bubbles once trimmed to length...I'm not ready to 'sacrifice' my bubblestrip I need for other projects to see though...but a 'flat' card might fit a lot easier with suitable trimming to size of course...don't have one of those though to check, sorry.

Its a worthwhile idea though...if nothing else one could always make ones own card out of a suitable thickness of metal cut to size and engrave it with whatever design one liked and it would make a very nice looking piece with a custom card imo.

Tradeliphine
04-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Atari cartridges!

Go to your local rummage sale, flea market, used game store, or pawn shop if you dont have any laying around. They usually cost like 25 cents to a dollar each and you pop em open and the circuit tab that sticks into the machine can easily be dremeled into a clamp or d-ring strip. Theyre green and gold circuit patterns and pretty neat designs, its what Ive used for my Heiland and Graflex clamp sliders. Hope it helps.

Ps I have a ton of bubble strips from calculators, the same era as the originals, they might be different size or thickness than the ones Tim sells, Ill try one tonight in my d-ring and if they work maybe we can work out a trade for something neat/decorative that you have.

revjedisteve
04-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I'll order one and then see what I can work out. I'll post what I end up doing

revjedisteve
05-25-2009, 03:48 AM
okay guys I got it- a bit of dremeling did the trick. I got the natural board, it was a little thick so i had to work it down with a dremel, then in one of my smarter moments I decided I wanted to use rivets to attach it to my saber, do i had to thin it out more- then I made a bigger mistake and decided to flatten the heads a tad. I did nick the side of the ring, but it still looks acceptable. and for future saber's I know the best way to do it.
I'll post pictures soon and I love the look of it!!! I'll actually post pictures of my FIRST modular hilt saber- much cooler than the now lame in comparison sink tube sabers.