PDA

View Full Version : Impossible design?

cardcollector
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
A picture is a thousand words so...

Basically I'd like some feedback on this render. Is it possible to make with a blade, sound etc. without breaking the bank?

Darth Cipher
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
i think it would be important to define what "breaking the bank" is to you...and that looks like its all custome work...are you going to make it yourself or have it machined?

cannibal869
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Also, that cutout by the power switch - does it go all the way around or not? A side view would also be useful... At first glance though, the hilt looks a tad on the short side. I think the shortest you can get with sound is a yoda-sized saber, which usually is around 7-8 inches long.
If you don't care about sound though, it's possible to go as short as say 4-5 inches long?

Also, is the cutout supposed to be part of the blade? Is the switch mounted into the blade?

Jedi-Loreen
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
It looks very strange, and unwieldy.

I can't figure out how it could work. Especially with the tiny space you have for the batteries. How long would this be?

swear000
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll have some of whatever you are smoking.....lol.

It looks possible with a Hasbro Sound card (smallest). The battery pack will likely be something other than AA or AAA. probably a lipo. The pointed end will be a pommel that probably would not hold any thing but you may be able to drill holes in for the D-ring. The overlays can probably be done with sinktube with some unusual dremel-fu. The body will still have to be custom machined.

Thaxos
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Some measurements so we can see the dimensions might help, take a look in the shop to see what size each part is. Then figure out if you can even fit the parts in with that design.

cardcollector
04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I acutally didn't design this saber, my brother did.
It would be about 11 inches long.

The pic is more of a guide. I don't really expect to follow it to the letter. He just wants the "ice cream cone" shape. Is it only possible through custom machining? I'd really like to use sinktube as I have limited funds.

Ideal
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
oh, if you are looking to make it that long, then there should be no trouble at all fitting everything in there

cannibal869
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmm.. an 11 inch long ice cream cone?!?!:neutral:

You won't really be able to get a good ice cream cone shape with a sink tube alone. You might be able to find something that's cone shaped in home depot that you could probably jury rig to make into a hilt, but it'd still be unwieldy and definitely NOT safe for things like spinning. If all you wanted was the pommel to have a cone shape, then that would probably work out. Otherwise, yes, probably needs to be custom done.

ARKM
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I can't even begin to figure out how to decipher that "blueprint". Is this a belated April Fools joke?

Ideal
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Is this a belated April Fools joke?

it isnt nice to call someone's ideas a joke

Lord Preston
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
It looks like an arrow head.......

cardcollector
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I can't even begin to figure out how to decipher that "blueprint". Is this a belated April Fools joke?

It was his first attempt at an AutoCad drawing.:mad:

If you would like to give a better render please do.
Don't judge someone else's work unless you know that person. Constructive criticism is fine. Just saying "this looks like a joke" is not constuctive criticism.
For a first render I thought it was pretty good!

Darth Cipher
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
well its seems like an intesting concept...but what if instead of the entire saber having the cone look...what ive you have it in stages...have a cone pommel...somone used a wine opener thing recently...that was cool. you could look in the LED blade holder style 16 it has a slight conical effect...you could use a sheet of aluminum to make it more so. then use more of the alumium like a shroud , all while using a sink tube base... did that make any sense? Just not the hole thing a cone...its not really functional...

Thaxos
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I think given the right angle that it expands at, it would not be too unwieldy, however I'm not sure what kind of length it would end up as in order to fit the components inside...

ARKM
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
It was his first attempt at an AutoCad drawing.:mad:

If you would like to give a better render please do.
Don't judge someone else's work unless you know that person. Constructive criticism is fine. Just saying "this looks like a joke" is not constuctive criticism.
For a first render I thought it was pretty good!

I wasn't trying to offend anyone and genuinely thought this might be an intentional joke. It doesn't look like a "bad render". I've seen bad renders but at least I could figure out what shape it would look like in the real world. To me it looks indecipherable. I'm not a 3D guy so maybe those that are know how to decipher said blueprint and know what the artist intended, I don't. To me, it looks against the laws of physics to be made real. I got to be honest here and maybe my brain's just not working right today but I really don't know what I'm looking at or what perspective it's at. It it the whole saber or just one part? If only one part, which part is it? Also what's the perspective/angle that it's supposed to be at? By some of the other posts here I can tell some apparently "get it", just not me.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I wasn't trying to offend anyone and genuinely thought this might be an intentional joke. It doesn't look like a "bad render". I've seen bad renders but at least I could figure out what shape it would look like in the real world. To me it looks indecipherable. I'm not a 3D guy so maybe those that are know how to decipher said blueprint and know what the artist intended, I don't. To me, it looks against the laws of physics to be made real. Sheesh why does everyone have to be so defensive and automatically assume the worst?

I'd have to agree with ARKM....I can't make heads or tails of that either....and I've had several years of training with drafting and design. Getting defensive about it was uncalled for....you asked if it could be made without breaking the bank, but based on that drawing, I can't see how it would be made at all. And ARKM has machining expeirence and knows how to read a bleprint, I think.

xl97
04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I too had no clue what I was looking at??

looked like a 'snowcone' (sorta) with a blade coming out of it?

is that the general shape/layout of it? (no pun intended)

acerocket
04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
In that configuration, even at 11" long, it is going to be a real tough one to do. You will never be able to bore all the way to the end of the 'point'. The best you might be able to get is 4-6" deep of useable room inside the saber and the rest will be solid. The outside design is probably doable - with the noted exception that it is impossible to make such sharp corners on the V-shaped cut-out area.

If you want to do this, you might need to get a blank casting poured with a cone shaped insert in the middle so when you remove it from the blank, you will have pretty much the inside finished. Then you could machine the outside to shape and do the blade holder bore. But this is not going to be an inexpensive way to go.

You might also consider breaking the design into about 3-5 sections and machining each one seperately and then screwing (or possible a slip fit/glue joint) them together.

Which ever way you choose to do this, bear in mind because of the taper, you will not get anything in the 'point' end of the saber. i would hazard a guess that the last 4-5" would be totally useless. That is only going to give you about 6" to work with.

swear000
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
one thing I may suggest is that you design it as more of a hook. This will give the sharp pointed end and still allow you to hold it. There would not be any easily conceivable way of easily wielding a cone shaped saber along 3 axis. It would be something simply ceremonial.

http://wallpapers.dpics.org/wallpapers/36/Hook%2C_by_Steven_Spielberg%2C_1991%2C_Dustin_Hoff man%2C_Robin_Williams%2C_Julia_Roberts%2C_Bob_Hosk ins.jpg

Swordlord
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I figured either it was cone-shaped, or it had a really steep angle of perspective.

I can't imagine holding it. It'd be like squeezing icing out the wrong end of a cake applicator -- deadly lightsaber icing.

cardcollector
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I wasn't trying to offend anyone and genuinely thought this might be an intentional joke. It doesn't look like a "bad render". I've seen bad renders but at least I could figure out what shape it would look like in the real world. To me it looks indecipherable. I'm not a 3D guy so maybe those that are know how to decipher said blueprint and know what the artist intended, I don't. To me, it looks against the laws of physics to be made real. I got to be honest here and maybe my brain's just not working right today but I really don't know what I'm looking at or what perspective it's at. It it the whole saber or just one part? If only one part, which part is it? Also what's the perspective/angle that it's supposed to be at? By some of the other posts here I can tell some apparently "get it", just not me.

I probably got a little to defensive.:rolleyes: Don't make fun of my younger brothers...;)

well its seems like an intesting concept...but what if instead of the entire saber having the cone look...what ive you have it in stages...have a cone pommel...somone used a wine opener thing recently...that was cool. you could look in the LED blade holder style 16 it has a slight conical effect...you could use a sheet of aluminum to make it more so. then use more of the alumium like a shroud , all while using a sink tube base... did that make any sense? Just not the hole thing a cone...its not really functional...

Those are some excellent ideas- exacly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Maybe I'll redesign it with a pencil and paper to make it more pratical.:cool:

[QUOTE=swear000;128728]one thing I may suggest is that you design it as more of a hook. This will give the sharp pointed end and still allow you to hold it. There would not be any easily conceivable way of easily wielding a cone shaped saber along 3 axis. It would be something simply ceremonial.
QUOTE]
How would you make a curve? Epoxie sculpt?

Swordlord
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I actually have a gold PC'd piece of steel from an old lamp. It's tapered, and might fit your needs if you can't find something else. If you want, I can get the dimensions if you think it'll work. You'll have to design unique parts, or unique connectors to make MHS sections fit.

Darth Cipher
04-08-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah definatly draw somthing up and put different views of it together. measurments help too just to give an aproximation of size