PDA

View Full Version : help on Samus

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 07:05 AM
i know that this really isnt the right forum for this but i thought that you guys might be able to help. how would i go about making Samus armor? me and my girlfriend want to make some Samus armor for her.

so what do you recommend? we would like to make the suit as accurate as possible. so we dont want cloth for the armor. we have both looked HARD through the internet and we both cant find any kind of help on making it. so any pointers and links to pages that would help is greatly appreciated.

thanks! :D

xl97
04-07-2009, 07:12 AM
links to the armor?

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
what exactly do you mean? we want to make it our self. but do you know of some place that sells it?

Jedi-Loreen
04-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Uh, some of us don't even know what it is. :rolleyes:

I think xl means links to pictures, drawings, art of this armor, so we can see what you're talking about.
If we don't know, how can we give you any tips?

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
OH! sorry.... here she is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samus_Aran

wiki seemed the easiest if you dont know who she is.

Darth Cipher
04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
what kind of equipment to you have access to?

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 08:01 AM
i have LOTS of tools. my dad is a jack of all trades and he has a huge collection of tools. so if you start naming some stuff and i dont have it i will tell you. so as far as tools im pretty well off. i just wish i had more space to work.

Jedi-Loreen
04-07-2009, 08:02 AM
That's going to be quite an undertaking. It's going to need to be made of something light weight.

I think this might be beyond newbie armoring skill. Unless you make it out of something like craft foam or papier mache, then it's probably going to look cheesy and crappy.

You need to go find some costuming boards that deal with armor to ask about this, IMO.

Darth Cipher
04-07-2009, 08:05 AM
how durable do you want it to be? but i agree with Jedi Loreen, this wont be easy. I would go with plastic pieces put together on a frame of some kind

xl97
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Uh, some of us don't even know what it is. :rolleyes:

I think xl means links to pictures, drawings, art of this armor, so we can see what you're talking about.
If we don't know, how can we give you any tips?

winner, winner... chicken dinner!! :)

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 08:09 AM
ya, this maybe over our heads. i was reading and found where one girl made it out of Styrofoam and coated it out of a sheet of EVA. so ive been reading a little bit about that. and that girls armor turned out really good.

Darth Leximus
04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Try the 405th. They are a Halo costuming group and have lots and lots of experience with armor crafting. Some of them can be jerks so enter at your own risk..especially if you don't know what you're talking about.

I agree that if you don't even know where to start, then this is going to be too ambitious of an undertaking for you. If you want to do it right its gonna involve making a vac-form table and very precise molds which means sculpting skill. You would probably want to make it out of sintra which is a plastic that is moldable after heat is applied.

Make her a mando, much easier!!!

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
how durable do you want it to be? but i agree with Jedi Loreen, this wont be easy. I would go with plastic pieces put together on a frame of some kind

do you know where i can get some plastic pieces?

xl97
04-07-2009, 08:13 AM
wow.. looking at the pic.. that is gonna be SUPER hard to make IMHO..

but I suppose anything is possible with the right motivation (ie: time & money) LOL

As J-Lo said.. I think carving from craft foam might be your best bet on most of it..

that, cardboard.. and some 'plastic garbage cans/containers' and you could probably do a good portion of it.

there is a cool link to where people used pplastic garbage cans to build mando armor.. (I cant remember link..but I thought it was VERY cool for DIY stuff)

maybe some HUGE styrofoam balls partially guted for the shoulders? cardoard for the fins...etc..

youd have to sand/prime/paint everything...

this coudl easily take a year if you wanted to do it right!.. (unless you have unlimited time/resources)

cardcollector
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I think you should make a one color bodysuit and then attach the armor (whateve you make it with) to the cloth. It would be a lot easier to control and take on and off.

Darth Cipher
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
As Darth Leximus said "If you want to do it right its gonna involve making a vac-form table and very precise molds which means sculpting skill. You would probably want to make it out of sintra which is a plastic that is moldable after heat is applied." Look it up on the jedi archives AKA Google.

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Try the 405th. They are a Halo costuming group and have lots and lots of experience with armor crafting. Some of them can be jerks so enter at your own risk..especially if you don't know what you're talking about.

I agree that if you don't even know where to start, then this is going to be too ambitious of an undertaking for you. If you want to do it right its gonna involve making a vac-form table and very precise molds which means sculpting skill. You would probably want to make it out of sintra which is a plastic that is moldable after heat is applied.

thanks! i will talk with her. i think that you are all right. this is going to be to much. well thanks for the advice before i spent the money!

Make her a mando, much easier!!!

that would be cool! but she's not the Star wars type "yet" im working on it! she likes nintendo stuff and loves Anime.

Darth Leximus
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I've made Mando armor out of $10 trashcans from wal-mart and it turned out awesome. It would be a little harder to do the chest plate for a female...for obvious reasons, but there are definately ways to do it. Check out the Mandalorian Mercs forums for tons of pics of chicks is mando gear.

Here is a link to my armor

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5926

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 08:24 AM
ok, ive talked with her and she said that it was ok. so were not going to make the armor right now. maybe if i get some practice on armor later we will do it. but she does sew, so she is going to make samus' zero suit right now. and im going to make the gun for her.

here is the zero suit.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Suit_Samus_(SSBB)

Darth Leximus
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Good call on the Zero suit! Have fun with that, but don't give up on the armor, you'll never learn till you start trying.

Ideal
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
there is a guy that is working on plans for some Samus armor,http://skipspepakuracostumes.blogspot.com/search?q=samus no idea when he will be done with it though. he produces what is essential giant papercraft models that you can piece together to make armor and stuff. he is mainly star wars, but does all sorts of armors and weapons. some of the plans he sells, some he lets people download for free, but his work is top notch and even with relatively little skill the stuff turns out pretty good when you put it together (all the edges are numbered so they match up)

Barmic Rin
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I found Skip yesterday & am so buying half his designs for armor!!!!

Republic Commando armor FTW!!!!!

And the GoW guns...

Also, here are some funky Samus':

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/im_in_love_new_samus_cosplay_g.php

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/11/metroid_samus_costume_looks_go.php

Ideal
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
i have his plans for the Hayabusa helmet from Halo (super sweet!) as well as his plans for the Captain Rex style pistol from clone wars, which is coming out nicely in my test build (i looks a bit large in my hands though)

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Good call on the Zero suit! Have fun with that, but don't give up on the armor, you'll never learn till you start trying.

ok, thanks!

ya, i want to do some armor, espashanly some clone armor. but money is the problem on that....

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Also, here are some funky Samus':

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/im_in_love_new_samus_cosplay_g.php

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/11/metroid_samus_costume_looks_go.php

yes! i saw those! i would LOVE it if mine was that cool. but again ive never done armor.

Jedi-Loreen
04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
"espashanly"? Are you making up words now, too? Do you mean especially?

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
"espashanly"? Are you making up words now, too? Do you mean especially?

ya.... im dyslexic.

TimeRender
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I can vouch for the quality of skips pepakura patterns, but this is still a major undertaking and not something you should try as your first armor making project. Try one of the halo helmets as previously suggested, get your feet wet, practice your fiberglassing skills, then maybe you could complete something as big as the samus armor. The only other route would be to sculpt it yourself and vacuform it. Try browsing around some stormtrooper forums to get an idea of what that would entail, or check a website called studiodesigns. You might also decide that her armor can't be made entirely out of hard parts or she won't be able to walk. The armor around her stomach, knees, elbows etc might need to be cast out of rubber like the batman armor. Replica Prop Forum would have more information on that. Basically, plan on dropping a few grand and about a year's worth of effort if you want to build this. She picked the hardest costume in all of fandom.

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
lol! thanks. well like i said, were not going to worry about samus right now. and she said that she isn't resure about the zero suit either. so we were already going to make me the Ceremonial Jedi Robes from the Force unleashed. so were going to Co-Cosplay. she is going to be Juno.

Sairon
04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Try wonderflex, you can apply it directly to clothes and it will stay, and you can cut and bend the wonderflex to the shape you want.

TimeRender
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Well if she changes her mind about the zero suit, you might try a dance supply catalog. You could probably find some sort of leotard to use as the base of the suit.

MasterRoop
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
i ment that she is NOT doing the zero suit. its just a little to skin tight for her to be comfortable wearing in front of hundreds of people.

Ideal
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
is Skip a member here? as if by some grand design, he just posted an update on his Samus armor, it looks cool so far

MasterRoop
04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
is Skip a member here? as if by some grand design, he just posted an update on his Samus armor, it looks cool so far

ah sweet! i see that! :D