PDA

View Full Version : Ryan vs Brandon 2

Nightwing
03-31-2009, 08:13 AM
I wasn't sure if the rest of you had seen this, as I only stumbled across it yesterday. The sequel to Ryan vs Brandon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4Ej9KpQhg) is available in preview form, with almost no visual effects put in yet:

Ryan vs Brandon 2 Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuK_v7OyzVQ)

Personally, I actually kinda like the metal blades; it kinda makes it more exciting. Still, I want to see the whole film with actual saber blades.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-31-2009, 08:46 AM
They have way too much time on their hands. lol They are good though, better than most fight scenes in the movies.

beggarsoutpost
03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Super cool....They really are good...The first RVB is one of my favorites...it's kind of like a Jedi Vs Sith Highlander style.... although I think the sword sounds are an edit....I have the documentary of RVD II where they are using the same kind of dueling sabers and they did not make those sounds.....

Darth Siggious
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
These guys are awesome!! The Ryan VS Dorkman is completely off the hook. Hook's here - that junk is way the F over there.

Rhyen - join the Dark Side.

JedimasterJSA
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Wow, they had some wicked swordsmanship there. Especially when they both had only one blade. That was some of the fastest and most impressive choreography I've ever seen!

Nightwing
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
They are good though, better than most fight scenes in the movies.Actually, I'm pretty sure that ROTS adopted a few moves from Ryan vs Dorkman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZuoqOYmjk). (Anakin's backspin and Obi-Wan's ready stance, among others)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/NightWing726/screenshot-1.jpg
http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/A/AronAgmar/1123370628_resObi-Wan.jpg

MasterRoop
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
DUDE!!!! there REALLY good. i like the second one the best.

cannibal869
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
DAAAAYYYUMMMM those guys can really choreograph fights!
Nice use of the Iron Man music haha lol:rolleyes:

Kant Lavar
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Ryan pulls out the second saber, I remeber some of the events in the RvD videos and think "Ooh. Clever boy."

Puts them together for the saberstaff: epic win.

Last 30 seconds: My jaw is on the floor, and I really wish I could do that. I'm also wondering for a brief moment how hard it would be to find a place and a job in Cali so I can get Novastar to teach me... :D

MasterRoop
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
DAAAAYYYUMMMM those guys can really choreograph fights!
Nice use of the Iron Man music haha lol:rolleyes:

oh, was that iron man? i knew that it was Han Zimmers' work but i could tell if it was that or the dark knight.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Awesome! These guys really know how to put on a show. Pretty good camera work too.

DJMoonbass
03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
wow they good. ive talked to ryan himself and he did all the originall moves himself. he takes film and choreography in college along with one of his close friends micheal scott. both starwars fans, and thats why they did RVD. it was a college project. Me and my neighbor nick are going to film a duel pretty soon. im waiting to get my anakin in form Ultrasabers. then we be good. it wont be as good as RVB or RVD but it will be pretty cool.

What kind of stund blades are those? i want one so flipping bad. i have ryans email in my address box somewhere il see if i can find it and ask him myself. but if anybody knows where theres a sight i can buy one please SHARE!!! :shock:

ARKM
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Just an FYI, Ryan Weiber and Michael "Dorkman" Scott are regulars over at the Fan Films forum (now known as the Fan Films, Fan Audio & Scifi 3D Forum) on theforce.net. Brandon used to post there but hasn't in a long time.

RvD (the first one) was actually done for a contest hosted by the the Fan Films forum of theforce.net called LCC (Lightsaber Choreography Contest). It won first place in that contest. I have never heard any reference to it being a college project but then I joined the forums over there after LCC (1) and LCC 2.5 took place.

RvB (again, the first one) was done for LCC 3. RvB won first place for that contest.

RvD2 was done for fun and wow factor.

RvB2 (part 1, part 2 has yet to be made) was done for LCC VI and also won first place.

Anywho, the blades in RvD2 and RvB2 are carbon fiber blades sold by Random Sabers. Those blades come from a company in New Zealand called "Kilwell". That is the same company that provided the carbon fiber blades for Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. I own two of those blades myself and they are very nice. Extremely light and very durable. Ryan and Dorkman stated that they did not break a single blade during choreography or filming.

Eandori
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
They are fantastic swordsmen, at least it sure seems like it. Very cool stuff, I can't wait for the final movie.

Novastar
03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Ryan pulls out the second saber, I remeber some of the events in the RvD videos and think "Ooh. Clever boy."

Puts them together for the saberstaff: epic win.

Last 30 seconds: My jaw is on the floor, and I really wish I could do that. I'm also wondering for a brief moment how hard it would be to find a place and a job in Cali so I can get Novastar to teach me... :DI have plenty of fanfilms written now for saber battles... but... no one with whom to make them, unfortunately! :) That might be changing in due time though.

I can tell you guys a trick on that final "circular" shot... to make the background "move faster", the camera is placed in the center, no actors are around, and the camera is made to rotate in place, panning all around, 360 degrees. That's ONE shot. The SECOND shot is the two on green screen (or blue screen), and the cameraman DOES rotate around them, but... the rotation is not as fast as it appears.

Put the shots together... and you're all set! Ryan, Dorkman and Brandon are *EXTREMELY* well-versed at effects, shot setups, and specifically... making film look GOOD! No, GREAT! :)

That being said--the stick props are extremely light--far lighter than any LED saber, and I do mean ANY... and with enough practice and dedication... most any of you could do this sort of thing.

But that's the problem... most people DO NOT have the dedication and hard-work ethic needed to fulfill on a project so large. It takes hours and hours and hours of rehearsal and preparation, and nothing really comes easy (unless ya get lucky)! Not to mention, you never have to see any of the half-dozen or more shots that didn't work out. :) That's the nature of film!

But yup, I remember seeing this back when it was first released as the sneak peek, and I really loved it! :) Creative... fun... enjoyable!

psab keel
04-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Impressive choreography as always. I've seen the others in the past, RVD, RVDII, and have always admired the hard work and dedication involved in the making of these films.

My only gripe, and it is nothing personal to anyone, is that defining any duel with lightsabers, including the ones in all six films, as actual sword fighting, is simply inaccurate. They are awesome duels, but they are more well choreographed sword dancing than anything else. In terms of survival, they are completely impractical. That's what cracks me up about Nick Gillard saying in the Fights Documentary on the Ep. I DVD that "the moves are so natural, and so correct, that that's the only place they can be."

That being said, as a form of entertainment, all of these duels are GREAT!

ARKM
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
I can tell you guys a trick on that final "circular" shot... to make the background "move faster", the camera is placed in the center, no actors are around, and the camera is made to rotate in place, panning all around, 360 degrees. That's ONE shot. The SECOND shot is the two on green screen (or blue screen), and the cameraman DOES rotate around them, but... the rotation is not as fast as it appears.

While I'm sure it could be done that way, in case you were wondering, that is not how they did that shot.

The camera is not in the center, the actors are. Ryan built a rig mounted to the ceiling. Where it mounts is also it's swivel point, which is directly above the actors. A long "arm extends out and then down. The camera is mounted to that arm. I think they also had a shorter arm going the other direction with a counter-weight on it but It's been awhile since I saw the behind the scenes stuff so I don't remember for sure. The arm is then spun while the camera is filming to get said effect. In other words, the effect was done practically. No computers were used to achieve that effect.

Rhyen Skytracker
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
That is what I like about their films. They do as much as they can without computers, so it looks more realistic.

DJMoonbass
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
can you post a sight for those blades. im going to buy a pair for me and nick. hey novastar.... if i make enough $$$ from my machining apprenticeship this summer, i might come down to LA and maybe we can film a duel if you are interested. just let me know if that sounds fun

Col-mar
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd love to get my hands on this footage to practice my roto work. God I'm so rusty at it.

cardcollector
04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm really impressed by them incorperating Pysical attacks like punching and grabbing each others sabers.:cool: It really adds a much more realistic element to the movie.

I also love the part in RVDM II when Ryan (I think) gets smacked in the head with his own lightsaber hilt when he is using the force to pull it to him. It makes me laugh every time!:lol:

Sairon
04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Looks cool. Can't wait!

Nightwing
04-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I also love the part in RVDM II when Ryan (I think) gets smacked in the head with his own lightsaber hilt when he is using the force to pull it to him. It makes me laugh every time!:lol:
Dorkman, actually. And yeah, the brutal physicality is one of my favorite parts of the "Ryan fights" as well. :)

Novastar
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
...In terms of survival, they are completely impractical. That's what cracks me up about Nick Gillard saying in the Fights Documentary on the Ep. I DVD that "the moves are so natural, and so correct, that that's the only place they can be."

That being said, as a form of entertainment, all of these duels are GREAT!I agree that it's ridiculous to say that ANY moves "can only be" in one place. Also... as always... choreographed fighting is NEVER akin to "real fighting". I don't care how well-trained people are. The instant you choreograph + take safety measures + have artificial starts & stops ("quiet on set... roll... action... cut", etc.)... it ceases to be "real".

But the art of film combat and theatrical combat is to GIVE the illusion of reality... and at the same time, to entertain. That being said... if you want a "real" saber duel in film or on-stage... there should be maybe 1-5 moves (per pair of fighters)--and someone... or both... would be dead, wounded, or whatever.

ARKM -- Oh! Thanks for the info on that! The angle of rotation looked a lot tighter to me, and I could swear I could see traces of "outline" on the two fighters. Good as the key lighting and so forth might have been. But... hey, I wasn't there.

Hasid Lafre
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I was expecting something new, only thing new is brandon went emo.

Nightwing
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I was expecting something new, only thing new is brandon went emo.
Dude, he looked more emo the first time. lol.
But, as for me, I always cheer for Brandon in these fights; he fights more like an upstart, inexperienced kid with a crazy amount of intuition.

Jedi coral
04-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Looks good. I would like to have seen them do something a little different... may be something more real? But I guess the whole point of the competition is to WOW people. Still it looks good and the speed is well maintained.

Hasid Lafre
04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Dude, he looked more emo the first time. lol.
But, as for me, I always cheer for Brandon in these fights; he fights more like an upstart, inexperienced kid with a crazy amount of intuition.

I dont know man, brandon in the second one went for the girly pants where in the first one he looks.... respectable?

Nightwing
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I dont know man, brandon in the second one went for the girly pants where in the first one he looks.... respectable?
Um... sorry, I don't normally look at guys' pants. *shrug*
lol

Hasid Lafre
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
You go for the faces dont ya? :D :p

Angelus Lupus
04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Now, now girls... don't fight :D

Hasid Lafre
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Fine, ruin a perfectly good derailment.

:D :D

Angelus Lupus
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
OK, I will. :D
Besides, I was looking at his lightsaber ;)

Hasid Lafre
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Your sick!

lol :P

Angelus Lupus
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
What about my sick? :D
Yes, I just toally grammar-nazi'd you :p

cardcollector
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Angelus wins!!!:cool:

Hasid Lafre
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
What did I mess up on?

Darth Demens
04-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Your is the possesive form. (As in, he owns the sick)

You're is the contraction for You are.

Nightwing
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
God, I love this forum. :D

Kal El Rah
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Your is the possesive form. (As in, he owns the sick)

You're is the contraction for You are.

You beat J Lo to the spelling correction,,,,LOL:oops:

Hasid Lafre
04-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah and lets just stop with it. jlo knows how much I dont like it so that dosent mean you guys have to pick it up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.