PDA

View Full Version : need new clip

DJMoonbass
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
does anybody know where i can get a new clip like this? :

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/DJMoonbass/P1040420.jpg

its the clip that goes to the LED. i really need a new one because a really crappy sabersmith (Not mentioning names) did a real bad conversion job and took those wires out. completely out. no little inserts or anything :confused::x:confused: why would he do that? any way ya i need a new one. and..... i cant find one. i really dont want to have to solder to those little spikes. way to small

Jay-gon Jinn
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
You don't really need the clip, DJ...just solder your wires to the bottom of the header pins, or remove the header plug, and replace it with the wires:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/MR%20Sound%20Board%20Pictures/100_4354.jpg

Tradeliphine
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
wow jay, that is a clean rig

Jay-gon Jinn
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I had to totally re-wire that one, and the amazing thing is, it still works! ;)

Zook
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree with Jay-gon Jinn

Not sure if you have ever desoldered anything but that's what I would do. Flip it over...take some copper desoldering braid from Radio Shack and desolder the pins and pull the pins and box off. Then solder new wires in place of the pins and box. Good solid connection you will not have to worry about.

Some people use a desoldering bulb but I find the braid is more effective in removing it. Just clip the braid after the solder that's collected each time you use it.

Kal El Rah
03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
If you have any stranded small gage wire laying around, you can use that as a solder wick also.

Novastar
03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
That is a GREAT example pic, Jay Gon! Clean work too...

Also... for those who wish to do it--you can essentially "bridge" or connect all of the negative outputs together right there on the board--and use one wire for - and one for + !! :)

In theory, this should create less resistance anyway (albeit not much!)... and maybe you'd squeeze a bit more mA out of the little FX dude.

Jay Gon's method can also save space... "from a certain point of view". :)

DJMoonbass
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
That is a GREAT example pic, Jay Gon! Clean work too...

Also... for those who wish to do it--you can essentially "bridge" or connect all of the negative outputs together right there on the board--and use one wire for - and one for + !! :)

In theory, this should create less resistance anyway (albeit not much!)... and maybe you'd squeeze a bit more mA out of the little FX dude.

Jay Gon's method can also save space... "from a certain point of view". :)

so like just solder all the positive pins together and attach a single wire? also i could take a razor and cut the little white thing off and then bend the pins away to solder to them. i dont have a desoldering kit and dont want to go into that little yuck yuck. so more details on this. Jaygon: nice work that looks very well done!

Jay-gon Jinn
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
You don't need a "desoldering" kit....it's just a solder wick...you can get one at Radio Shack. If you don't want to do that, just remove what wires are on there, and you might be able to pry the box off. Then you can just solder to the pins. You'll want to bundle up or solder a single wire across the negatives, as there's only one positive for the led on these boards. You technically may not need the other wires, but I find that without them, you lose the slight fade-out of the led when you deactivate the saber.

DJMoonbass
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
im pretty sure there is only one negative and six positives. i think you are mixed up. i could be worng. im just going by what others have told me and diagrams that have been posted.

BTW: i love the new avatar Jay gon. did you see the one i found for Kal el rah?

Jedi-Loreen
03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I made my Avatar.

South Park version of Nomi Sunrider. :p

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Girl%20Jedi/73ad97b9.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Girl%20Jedi/nomi1.jpg

Jay-gon Jinn
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
im pretty sure there is only one negative and six positives. i think you are mixed up. i could be worng. im just going by what others have told me and diagrams that have been posted.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about how many +'s and -'s there on the board. I've wired up 10 of this particular board and they were all the same. You have a Luke ROTJ/Mace ROTS board there, just like this one:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/scripts/lukesoundwiring.jpg
Tim wrote this diagram himself.

All of the MR boards have one positive for the led ladder, and multiple negatives to control the different segments of the ladder for the scrolling effect.

Zook
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM

nope he is right. One Pos. and the rest are Neg. Current needs a pos and neg to flow. it is easier to provide one pos and multiple negs then the other way around I believe.

edit...Jay-gon beat me to it.

DJMoonbass
03-31-2009, 02:21 PM
yup i was wrong. i got mixed up. lol. thanks. i think ill solder wires tonight. ill take the white box thing off then bend the rods so i can solder to them. i have a digital soldering station my dad bought me so i should have fun learning how to use that. lol. 1 neg and 6 pos got it got it got it